Sponsored by:

Dealer damaged car while getting oil change

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 12:30 PM
slowsocalg35
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dealer damaged car while getting oil change

Had my 2013 G37S Sedan at the dealer last Friday for an oil change. While waiting in the lounge, the service rep comes over and says come with me and look at your car. Apparently the valet/porter misjudged the clearance on the passenger side with a parked truck and scraped/dented my passenger side doors along the truck's bumper.

Service rep said not to worry, they would give me a loaner and send the car to the body shop for repair. I took the loaner and left. Didn't think (was too mad) to take any pictures or ask for any documentation.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Is there anything I should be asking for from the dealer? Any documentation I should be asking for? At this point, I didn't think it's necessary to file a claim with my insurance.

Any insight would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2016, 12:43 PM
NA2126

I would've taken it to my own shop after having Police write up a report of the incident and had them cover it. They'll probably have **** work done by their partner shop and bring it back to you. Yeah it won't be an issue when you first get it back, but after time (3-6 months or so), a lot of the work underneath the paint starts to stand out from poor quality repair work.
Old 01-12-2016, 01:56 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Yes, you should have taken some photos for documentation but that ship has sailed. When you get it back, examine all of the repair thoroughly. Check every little detail. Make sure the finish doesn't have excessive orange peel and look at it in artificial and natural light to make sure it's a good paint match. If anything is off, have them make it right.

Once you're satisfied with the results, talk to the service manager and see if he offers you any sort of compensation for your inconvenience, like free service or credit toward future service work. At minimum I expect you won't be paying for oil changes for a while.
The following users liked this post:
Roadrash666 (01-12-2016)
Old 01-12-2016, 02:02 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Go back now and take pics ASAP!
Old 01-12-2016, 02:59 PM
slowsocalg35
Registered Member

Originally Posted by NA2126
I would've taken it to my own shop after having Police write up a report of the incident and had them cover it. They'll probably have **** work done by their partner shop and bring it back to you. Yeah it won't be an issue when you first get it back, but after time (3-6 months or so), a lot of the work underneath the paint starts to stand out from poor quality repair work.
Yeah, that occurred to me too after I got home and cooled down. Thanks
Old 01-12-2016, 03:23 PM
Michael440

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Similar thing happened once to my friend and 2 years ago to my gf at Acura dealer.
The most important thing is police report. Without it Dealer can basically do whatever they want, basically you don't have proof it happened at the dealer.

They will probably do cheap fix up if you go with them. Most dealers (including Mercedes, BMW, Lexus) don't give **** about their customers.
Acura dealer was trying to bull**** my gf. I got my lawyer involved. At the end she went with her own body shop + lawyer got them for legal fees and extra $ for the inconvenience.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:25 PM
SonicVQ
Registered Member

Received 334 Likes on 270 Posts
Since they were honest with you and told you right away, I bet they will look after you and fix it properly.
Old 01-12-2016, 03:48 PM
micafd3s

Received 114 Likes on 102 Posts
honesty doesn't translate into craftsmanship unfortunately.. the process of goes through multiple hands..
initial guy might have the greatest intentions but if the service manager only sees the bottomline... you have a problem in your hands
as others have already suggested... get it documented while you can and scrutinize the work after..
Old 01-12-2016, 05:26 PM
Snipres

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Go find your car and take pictures of it! Try to document it someway
Old 01-12-2016, 07:50 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 607 Likes on 452 Posts
This happened to us with our Audi S5 BEFORE we even took delivery of it. The front bumper was damaged when the idiot scraped it against another car in the lot.

I insisted they pull a bumper off a NEW car so we got one with original factory paint in perfect condition, and that's what they did.

your a bit screwed now if you didn't take pictures and you didn't get anything in writing.
you just have to hope they did a good job with the repair...
Old 01-12-2016, 08:33 PM
flipmode007
Premier Member

Received 48 Likes on 35 Posts
I think they will take care of you for sure, make sure you examine he car after you get it back.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:08 PM
slowsocalg35
Registered Member

Thanks everybody. I'll post when I get the car back to see how things went.
Old 01-12-2016, 10:17 PM
Roadrash666
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
If the dealership has their own body shop I wouldn't be too worried about the quality of the work. My coupe got hit at a stoplight and I took it to the Nissan dealership where my wife works. The repair on the bumper and the paint work were flawless, and are holding up just fine. Wait until you get the car back before you get all tweaked up about things. Good luck!
Old 01-13-2016, 02:35 PM
3POINT8

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
I think you'll be in good hands. I work at a dealership and the body shop they will probably use are the ones they use to recondition the cars to look brand new for sale. Esp our loaner vehicles take beating from customers so they wont use some joe schmoe shop to fix your vehicle, esp when its there fault. But check it anyways !
Old 01-18-2016, 04:06 AM
crookncastle
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 62 Posts
i wouldn't even worry about the body repairs the dealer is going to do for your car. they fessed up to the damage and have every intention to make you whole. stuff like this happens at the dealer quite often especially when the car is handled by the porters or wash crew. the dealer is not going to send your car to some 3 world hack job body shop. they will either send it to their in house body shop if they have one, or a body shop which they have business relations with for other body repair work needed by customers.

Quick Reply: Dealer damaged car while getting oil change