Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas pedal vibrations

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 08:36 PM
Twista

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Gas pedal vibrations

So earlier today I hit a corner with a lot of throttle and next thing I know I start to feel these vibrations in my gas pedal. Now every time I give it more than half throttle I feel vibrations that go on and off through the rpm range. The car isn't making any noises from what I can tell but it's hard to hear over the exhaust system when getting on the gas but I can't tell a difference. Car still drives smooth and engine accelerates and shift gears normally.

Also my car is lowered and now when I pull in the garage I heard my exhaust scrape. Look underneath the car and the right side cat is looking like its hanging a little lower than normal. I haven't hit anything and go slow over potholes so I don't know how or why it's hanging low now. Anybody got some clues as to what's going on with either issue???

FI cat back and lowered on Fortune 500 coils
Old 04-24-2015, 10:40 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
You may have had something as small as an exhaust hanger come loose, or as big as a broken shock or other suspension issue. Only way to tell for sure is to jack it up and have a look, or (if you're not mechanically able), pay a pro to inspect it.
Old 04-25-2015, 12:22 AM
Twista

Hmmm yea I'm going to go measure the fender to ground height and make sure it's the same tomorrow. It still looks the same and drives down the street the same. Does the cat have any hangers up there?? The brace is still there but it does look lower than usual. This morning was fine and I just took a trip to the store and it is surely scraping now. Maybe it came out from the hard turn I threw it into?? Last night I was tearing up some curves as well
Old 04-25-2015, 09:23 AM
Twista

Well I jacked it up and the right side is surely hanging lower than the left all the way to the exhaust tips. The two hangers in the rear was still there and I didn't see any up were the cat is connected except the brace which is also still there. There's no exhaust leaks and everything looks fine. I checked the struts nothing is leaking or looks out of the ordinary and the fender to ground height is still the same in the front but the rear has dropped down half a inch since the install. The scraping is up front though at the bottom of the right cat which is hanging lower than the left side. I just don't see how though if there is nothing supporting it besides the brace. Any ideas????
Old 04-25-2015, 09:57 AM
Twista

Hmm u guys think I might have ripped a engine mount??? The car only has 33k on it which is making it hard to believe. Are those covered under the power train??
Old 04-25-2015, 01:56 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by Twista
Hmm u guys think I might have ripped a engine mount??? The car only has 33k on it which is making it hard to believe. Are those covered under the power train??
If that was the case they should be, but if they wanted to be real picky they could say the exhaust being modified could have been a factor, YMMV depending on dealer and possibly your relationship w/ them.
G/L
Old 04-25-2015, 04:22 PM
Twista

Well I just went to a friends shop and we checked the motor mounts no leaks and we checked them for play and nothing. Trans mount Is still solid to. But for some reason the bracket that connects the cats together was bent down on the right side with the rubber for the exhaust hangers also being pulled down a lot on the right side. I haven't hit anything so I'm at a lost as to how it happened especially for it to be bent downwards. We bent the bracket back up some so I don't know if I still scrape but I do still have vibrations in the gas pedal which only happen in drive. Park or neutral revving and it's fine.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:57 AM
Baby Jumpman
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
I was getting gas pedal vibrations as well, took off my wheels to examine them and of course one was bent. Don't even remember hitting a big pothole but that's what happens sometimes.

Last edited by Baby Jumpman; 04-26-2015 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:08 PM
Twista

Was it off hard acceleration or just a speed range???
Old 04-26-2015, 03:13 PM
Twista

Hmmm my friend told me my motor mounts was fine but idk I just went and popped the hood and the engine is higher on the driver side than passenger side which explains why my exhaust is lower on that side
Old 04-26-2015, 07:16 PM
Baby Jumpman
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 49 Posts
Usually it's low speeds for what I've read but it happens around 45 mph and up its just a slight vibration in the pedal and steering wheel.
Old 04-27-2015, 01:17 AM
Twista

Yea I'm pretty positive it's my motor mounts. I just went ahead and ordered some z1 to upgrade them. I was taking a left hand corner pretty hard which will explain why the right side failed. I don't feel the vibrations at certain speeds just at half throttle or more and the more gas I give it the more I feel it through the rpm range. Will report back once I install
Old 05-03-2015, 09:03 AM
Twista

Ok little update. So I was about to get started on replacing the engine mounts when I located what the real issue was. Turned out the bracket that sits on top of the engine mount that connects to the engine snapped and is the reason my engine is leaning. Called the dealer and explained exactly what broke and they said that it would get covered under warranty after they check the car out and everything. So I just got done taking all my aftermarket parts off except the exhaust system just in case they try and deny me. Uploaded a pic of the problem as well.

New question, I put my stock shocks back on and the rear is making a lot of clunking sounds which I never got before. What do you guys think I should check back there for the issue. As I'm hearing clunking on both sides in the rear.
Attached Thumbnails Gas pedal vibrations-image.jpg  
Old 05-03-2015, 11:10 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Everything seated properly down in the spring bucket up to the rubber cone isolator? Also did you have aftermarket camber kit and alignment w/ the FA 500s?
Glad you found the snapped part, wonder what extra stress was put in that area to cause that
Old 05-03-2015, 02:12 PM
Twista

Hmm I believe everything is situated properly. It was kind of hard getting everything in there with the spring being decompressed. I'll go rent a spring compressor and make sure everything is situated correctly. Also no camber arms. Was actually able to get my alignment pretty good without them but I did notice my stock wheels are cambered in some now from the past alignment.