Hardtop / headliner woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2016, 03:17 PM
jms515

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hardtop / headliner woes

I have an 09.

The headliner connects to the trunk mechanism on both left and right corners of car by plastic clasp (at rear window). It is not visible unless the roof is open midway. Their is a plastic clasp on each side of the interior headliner built into it. it sort of hooks into the roof mechanism which has a plastic receiving end that.

The plastic "catches" on the roof mechanism broke so the headliner hangs down in the corner. Generally it works but it had recently interfered with the roof mechanism and it got stuck and I could not close it.

The dealer wants around $3k to fix it claiming the entire headliner needs to be replaced. Crazy.

Any suggestions, wondering if just the plastic pieces can be replaced. ? Not sure if glue on the plastic pieces would work but doubt long term.

Also, is disconnecting the negative terminal on the battery the way to reset the roof ? Also in manual it says something about holding the normal roof opener switch in open for a few seconds.

Any help / advice appreciated.
Old 04-05-2016, 02:11 PM
_tjp_

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You're right, that does seem crazy. I had a similar issue. In my case it was an elastic cord that is supposed to keep the roof liner taunt that broke. This was fixed under warranty.

The problem we all face with the roof is due to it's complexity. Any outside car repair shop will not work on it. We are stuck with going to the dealer for roof issues. If you have read many of the other threads here you will see that some dealers are adept with roof repairs and some are completely clueless. Do you have another Infiniti dealership in your area where you could get a second opinion?
Old 04-07-2016, 09:09 AM
jms515

Originally Posted by _tjp_
You're right, that does seem crazy. I had a similar issue. In my case it was an elastic cord that is supposed to keep the roof liner taunt that broke. This was fixed under warranty.

The problem we all face with the roof is due to it's complexity. Any outside car repair shop will not work on it. We are stuck with going to the dealer for roof issues. If you have read many of the other threads here you will see that some dealers are adept with roof repairs and some are completely clueless. Do you have another Infiniti dealership in your area where you could get a second opinion?
The dealer I went is the better of the two in my area. It would be really interesting if the plastic piece attached to the trunk mechanism could be replaced. That should be cheap. The problem with attaching some sort of adhesive to keep the two parts together is that I think it needs to have some give for movement. I believe the way it is made plastic hooks from the headliner loop into tiny raised plastic "dots" sticking out from the plastic on the trunk assembly and as the roof opens and closes they turn a bit. If only they made rotating velcro.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:40 AM
zweetz32

that piece pulls the head liner in the rear towards the rear window on each side tight correct? If we are talking about the same piece. My car had an issue with that part. The other dealer messed it and and it was missing completely. I brought it to another dealer and told them about it and after a few time back I noticed a new part on the headliner that was not there before. It was a black plastic piece and it helped held down the headliner tight. If it's the same part then yes it could be replaced becasue they put mine on.
Old 04-17-2016, 01:44 AM
jms515

Originally Posted by zweetz32
that piece pulls the head liner in the rear towards the rear window on each side tight correct? If we are talking about the same piece. My car had an issue with that part. The other dealer messed it and and it was missing completely. I brought it to another dealer and told them about it and after a few time back I noticed a new part on the headliner that was not there before. It was a black plastic piece and it helped held down the headliner tight. If it's the same part then yes it could be replaced becasue they put mine on.

Thanks. Can I ask a favor that you look in your service records and find the part number ?
Old 02-23-2017, 02:02 PM
lashk
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by _tjp_

Was this fixed under the Elite warranty or factory warranty? Mine just snapped and it is out of factory warranty but I have the Elite warranty.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:29 PM
kiseliok
G37 Community Team

Received 169 Likes on 151 Posts
Eek. Now I have to be on a lookout for mine having issues. I love this car, but the roof just sounds like a ticking time bomb from all these posts! :|
Old 02-23-2017, 03:38 PM
_tjp_

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by lashk
Was this fixed under the Elite warranty or factory warranty? Mine just snapped and it is out of factory warranty but I have the Elite warranty.
I can't say. I have the elite warranty, but my assumption is this would have been repaired under any of Infiniti's warranties. I have a good dealership and the service department was almost apologetic that this condition even happened.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:35 AM
explicit1696
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By any chance, do you have the part number for the elastic bands? I’m gonna try my dealer this week and see what they say.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:00 PM
lashk
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
No, but when I found out how much a headliner cost, I did a quick fix and sold the car to CarMax. Best move I’ve made since I bought it.

Last edited by lashk; 04-26-2020 at 10:35 AM.