Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

7speed issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2016, 12:38 AM
richysh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7speed issue

Hello ladies and gents

My name is Rich and I just joined the forum to see if i can find an issue like mine but so far, i have had no luck (please dont hate. I tried to find it!)

So I recently bought a 2010 g37s coupe 7speed auto with 69k on the car about a month ago. The car was fine when i test drove it but when i brought it home (got it at a dealer 3 hours away) and drove it the next morning and felt that the transmission was a little harsh until it was fually warmed up so i really didnt think of anything. The issue was that when i was driving it, during 3rd to 4th shift, the rpm would rise up to like 3k rpm and drop back down to 2.5k rpm when the gear actually gets into 4th. Now here is the biggest problem i have right now. When i come to almost a full stop or even to full stop from any speed that is above 2nd gear, the car would act like it is in neutral and rev up when i try to accelerate and then all of the sudden the gear grabs and throws me in the back of the seat, like doing a launch on a manual car. So i took it to an infiniti dealer and the tech said he did feel what i was talking about and that there was an update for the tcm so he updated it and seemed fine. I took his words and took the car back but something didnt really feel right so i decided to test it out again tonight and sure enough, the issue is still there. Has anyone ever had an issue like this?? Am i in need of a new transmission? The car has had service history at some other infiniti (my hometown) so i called and asked the service history and the transmission oil was changed at almost 40k miles. What could be my issue here??

Thanks in advance guys!!

https://youtu.be/HbtwV-JAU9c

Here is a video of it.
Old 05-27-2016, 01:08 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
In the old days I would have said low fluid level.
Old 05-27-2016, 09:01 AM
Elco
Registered Member

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts
that's a low fluid level or wrong AT fluid on the transmission.
I saw a similar problem on Audi A6 with wrong AT fluid.
After replacing with correct AT fluid, the car was fine.
Old 05-27-2016, 10:19 AM
richysh

Originally Posted by Elco
that's a low fluid level or wrong AT fluid on the transmission.
I saw a similar problem on Audi A6 with wrong AT fluid.
After replacing with correct AT fluid, the car was fine.
I recently changed 6 qts using valvoline maxlife atf. Is that the wrong fluid? Ive researched about this atf on this forum and saw that many people were using this same fluid
Old 05-27-2016, 10:21 AM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by richysh
I recently changed 6 qts using valvoline maxlife atf. Is that the wrong fluid? Ive researched about this atf on this forum and saw that many people were using this same fluid
You should one use oem Matic s fluid from Nissan, that's probably your problem
Old 05-27-2016, 10:49 AM
richysh

Originally Posted by Ricio1991
You should one use oem Matic s fluid from Nissan, that's probably your problem
It is compatible for nissan matic s, which is stamped on the back of the bottle though and does anyone khow how many quarts the trans and the torque converter holds altogether? I had it flushed with 8 qts and im thinking it might not be enough
Old 05-28-2016, 07:31 PM
richysh

Okay found my issue. The oil was 2qts low. Im still testing it out but so far so good!
Old 05-28-2016, 07:37 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Nice! I can still say low fluid level.
Old 06-04-2016, 01:14 AM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
This sounds similar to what is going on with my wife's ex35. The radiator was recently replaced, and 3 times since then when the engine is cold, making right turns it has done this weird hesitation and then a surge of power that caused the rear wheels to lose traction and light up the slip light. My understanding is that the transmission fluid lines run through the radiator (correct me if I'm wrong) and they probably didn't replace any fluid that must have been lost when they installed the new radiator. Does this sound right to you guys? The EX35 has 67300 miles on it, and had the transmission fluid, front and rear differentials and transfer case fluids all serviced at around 50k miles. I am taking it back to the dealership in the morning to make sure it was topped off.
Old 06-04-2016, 04:55 AM
Landshark
Registered Member

Received 187 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by richysh

you didn't think this might have been important info to add to your first post?
Old 06-04-2016, 10:35 AM
jmann
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
My fluid was almost a quart low, the issue has not repeated itself since it was filled.