BF-Goodrich Comp 2 A/S IMO

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2020, 04:28 PM
jfridge92
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
BF-Goodrich Comp 2 A/S IMO

Hey everyone! The tires I've had on my G for the past 27,000 miles or so were the BF-Goodrich Comp 2 A/S tires in 245/45/18 sizing. I wanted to take some time just to post my experience with these tires in case anyone is looking into them, or has questions on them.

So let me first start by giving some specs on my car. It's a 2013 Journey sedan with a VLSD swap from a wrecked G35, hotchkis sway bars, OEM shocks/struts and springs, Konig Oversteer 18x9 wheels all around, and a few minor intake/exhaust mods. I do not track my car, but I do drive it spiritedly on back roads in a SAFE and LEGAL manner. No road burnouts, drifting, etc, as this is my daily and I'm typically hauling my son around with me. It gets driven "hard" but I don't beat the living hell out of the car.

I got just shy of 27,000 miles out of what should be a 40,000 mile tire. I had the car aligned every 6 months, rotated the tires every other oil change (3k to 5k mile intervals), and had the tires pulled off the wheels and cross rotated every second rotation, as these are directional tires and this is the only way to achieve a cross rotation.

The good: These tires have EXCELLENT dry grip. The car just plain sticks, and while it can easily break the rear loose if you want it to with throttle, the tires help things feel completely in your control and predictable. The on center steering feel is tight and weighted well, and the tires load up the steering very well when going into a corner. They respond very fast, and there was no noticeable lag in steering response. Corner grip was good as well, and even with hotchkis sway bars I never really could get the car upset when cornering hard (granted I never took the car to the track or took corners at track speeds), but I also didn't grandma them through corners. Wet grip left a little to be desired, as these tires hydroplaned very easily, although I understand that to be a common trait amongst G's and Z's. I definitely felt like I had to drive more cautiously in the rain with these tires, and I didn't have quite the confidence I've had with other tire setups on other cars (pilot sport A/S for example). That being said, they did their job in the rain, braking felt strong in dry and wet, and there wasn't ever really a time where the tire seemed like it was failing me from a point of grip.

The bad: The tires failed after 27,000 miles, and failed in a beautifully painful way - they literally disintegrated to the point that chunks were coming out of the inside tread the size of small gravel. I'm not talking about a little tread peel, I'm talking literal chunks, like you'd see on a pure summer tire that's driven in sub-freezing temperatures for extended periods. I live in Florida, and while it gets cold in the winter, I'd never expect to see this from an all season tire. They chunked badly enough to the point that the driver's front tire is showing the belt in a few areas, and they are wearing evenly, so this was a bit disappointing to see. The other issue that I really disliked about these tires is that they trammeled excessively. There have been points where the car nearly jumped lanes because of it, and while the hotchkis sways helped some, after going through the suspension and brakes with a fine tooth comb, the tires are the only culprit left. After seeing how badly they failed, I can't say I'm surprised that they were likely the cause of the trammeling. I'm disappointed because if the tires wouldn't have failed like this, and wouldn't have tramelled, I really would have liked them and recommended them.

TLDR: The tires have a ton of grip in the dry, moderate grip in the wet, but failed in an unpredictable and unexpected way by having chunks break out of the tread on all 4 tires, but the front left was the worst. Tires were rotated appropriately, inflated properly, and car was aligned. Tires trammeled badly in any condition. I can't in good conscious recommend them based on my overall experience.

If these are a track only tire, maybe, but if you are looking to daily your car and get decent mileage, handling, and safety out of a set of tires (which most of us are), look elsewhere. Maybe the Plus version of this tire addresses some of the issues I had, and maybe I had a bad set, but for all 4 tires to fail in a similar fashion, I did not have a great experience.

I ordered a set of tires to test out, as I've not used them yet, but I am going to try out the General G-Maxx AS-05 XL in the same size and see how they do. For the kind of driving I do, they should hold up nicely and drive very similar to the BF-Goodrich's, I just hope they hold up better over time. I did a lot of research, and for the money these tires cost, I hope I will be happy with them. Will they perform as good as a pilot super sport? Nope, but that's not what I'm looking for on this car. I hope this can help someone if you were looking at the BF-Goodrich tires. Remember, this is only based on my personal experience with these tiers. I'm not saying they're horrible, I just wanted to share my thoughts on the particular set I had.

Old 06-17-2020, 01:22 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Generals are horrible. Hankook ventus are same price as generals. I paid 900 for 4 pilot sport p4s and got 110 rebate so 790 installed from discount tire
Old 11-01-2023, 10:45 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 78 Likes on 67 Posts
Updating this thread after more than three years b/c I bought my second set of BFGoodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S tires. The 2009 G37xS sedan has been my wife's primary vehicle since we bought it in '09. With 68,380 miles on it, I elected to stay with the original 225-50-18 size as the last set of tires wore very consistently with that spec. I think the last set of BFGs lasted almost 30K before they were finally down to 2-to-4/32nds. Costco had a decent deal on these Z-rated tires at about $175/each, complete with mounting/balancing and road warranty and fresh rubber headed into our Colorado winter made sense.

I agree with most of the original poster's thoughts on these tires, as I think the Comp 2 A/S had decent dry grip, although I never took this car to the track. As an SCCA road racer for over 35 years, I used BFG road racing tires for years, ending with the G-Force R1S. Those tires had amazing grip in the dry, although we also used specialized wet tires in the rain. Back to the BFG Comp 2, I thought the A/S tires had decent wet grip with the AWD on this Infiniti. It was also noteworthy that in our Colorado winters the G37xS continued to do well in light-to-medium snowstorms. The aggressive tread patten of the Comp 2 A/S seemed to shed snow and ice decently well.

There was no chunking of the Comp 2 A/S tread as the OP reported three years ago with his Journey sedan. I've rarely seen this happen with BFGs, even in race situations, unless the tires were severely overheated and damaged. Additionally, my last set of these tires never showed much tramlining, even though our roads and highways have had their share of new construction over the years. I'm sure G37 drivers have gone through many sets of different tires through the years, but I'm here to say that I enjoyed my experience with the BFGoodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S enough to come back for a second helping!