Need help with tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 07:03 AM
3BOSH
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question Need help with tires

Greetings everyone,
I have a 2010 vert lovely thing, the family thinks it is a tad too harsh on our streets and pot holes.
I looked up easy ways to soften the ride and protect our backs and suspensions at least a little and it seems that tire width and profile (we call it here thickness) is the way to go + better "comfort" oriented models from high end brands are apparently noticeable by my friends [2 people suggested p-zeros which surprised me i thought it was more performance than comfort but hey]
Problem is I am finding people using only one measurement around this forum and it seems it is just based on experience from one guy that he spread to the others [from my stock 225/19/45 F - 245/19/40 B to 245/19/40 and 270/19/35]. I could not even find the offset measurement on this lovely forum to try to figure out size limitations on my own or ask people with different rim size. The reason being I want to know how wide and high I can get my next set (which is due soon) without risking any wear on tires/car parts under and inside.
All I want is simply smoother ride as much as possible since I have a "toy weekend car" and this is my daily for a while now and planning to hopefully keep it that way.
Excuse me if you have read anything stupid or naive for This is a second language and my understanding of many car things is just beyond mediocre.
TL;DR: Need smoother ride but can only change tire size and brand/models, info online is present but not clear/helpful enough.
Thank you!
Old 02-01-2019, 09:32 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by 3BOSH
[from my stock 225/19/45 F - 245/19/40 B to 245/19/40 and 270/19/35].
Hi and welcome to the forum,

I'm not sure where you got these measurements, but the stock tire sizes are 225/45/19 (front) and 245/40/19(rear) and the most common upsize is to 245/40/19 front and 275/35/19 on the stock rims. These aren't random sizes that some guy picked a long a time ago, there are probably hundreds of threads/thousands of posts on here explaining why people go to these sizes. Theres also a Tire/Rim size calculator under the "tools" tab above which will allow you to try different sizes which will show you how close that combination is to stock in diameter.

The short story is the limitation on the rim size (width) and and the fact that its recommended that people stay within 3% diameter of of stock or it can cause problems with electronics which is why so many people end up with the 245/275 combination.

For tire selection, something like the P zero will make comfort worse, generally you need tires with a softer sidewall for greater comfort i.e. not a performance tire even if you only have summer weather where you are at it will likely be an all season tire. you will be sacrificing grip for comfort.. You should look for a touring tire. Something like a Michelin MX4 or a a Continental touring tire. the only way to get a more compliant ride beyond going with a softer sidewall will be with going with a smaller wheel which will allow for a taller sidewall (i.e. 18" wheel) if you go to an 18" wheel you need to confirm that it will clear your brakes if you have the sport brakes. Theres a template for that on here too. Look in the wheels and tires sections lots of answers to your questions there.

The following 2 users liked this post by Baadnewsburr:
3BOSH (02-02-2019), blnewt (02-01-2019)
Old 02-02-2019, 01:27 AM
3BOSH
Registered Member

Yes it is the same but here we usually write the rim size in the middle aka what i wrote.
anyways thank you for the information.
does this size change you have mentioned: 245/40/19 front and 275/35/19 back
this will increase the width and decrease the profile (thickness), I have been told that width does not effect comfort much if at all (I could not understand why)
but everyone online mentions how you need to increase profile/thickness (from stock front 45 and back 40) to absorb the shocks.
Lastly for rim protection the stock size is pretty bare and the rims are "out there" is it width or profile that protects them from the curb rash and other hazards.
Thank you so much Hashim really appreciate it.
Old 02-02-2019, 06:48 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Look in the media share forum for 19 inch wheels to see how different width tires look. Hashim has the technical aspects correct.
Old 02-04-2019, 08:39 AM
3BOSH
Registered Member

It is not about looks, I just want the most comfortable tire brand and size so idk if i should just increase the profile and by how much as the cap to not ruin it, the car, or the drive.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:42 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
You can't go up in diameter more than 3%, the ECU apparently stores the OE tire diameter and exceeding 3% causes slip and traction control lights to come on. The Michelin Pilot SuperSport 3 is a very comfortable tire for being a max performance tire. The new PSS4, I can't say. Most of us here don't have your all-out comfort desire.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:49 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
The only way you'll significantly increase the "profile" is to decrease the rim size. If you go down to a 18" rim you'll gain 1/2" of sidewall.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:36 PM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by 3BOSH
Yes it is the same but here we usually write the rim size in the middle aka what i wrote.
anyways thank you for the information.
does this size change you have mentioned: 245/40/19 front and 275/35/19 back
this will increase the width and decrease the profile (thickness), I have been told that width does not effect comfort much if at all (I could not understand why)
but everyone online mentions how you need to increase profile/thickness (from stock front 45 and back 40) to absorb the shocks.
Lastly for rim protection the stock size is pretty bare and the rims are "out there" is it width or profile that protects them from the curb rash and other hazards.
Thank you so much Hashim really appreciate it.
Sorry I didn't realize the order is written differently where you are, in any event its doesn't really matter, the info is the same, the only reason I mentioned it is because you referred to a 270 (width) tire in your in your original post which probably wouldn't work on this car and isn't a widely available size in north america at least.

with respect to a 40 profile being bigger than a 35 this is not necessarily true. It depends on the with as the "40" and "35" numbers are percentages of the tires width. I.e. a 245/40 and a 275/35 have the same sidewall height. you are correct that width of the tread doesn't matter so much for comfort, its all in the sidewall. (Height and softness) As mentioned by myself and others in this thread the only way to go to an even more comfortable tire without causing problems in the car is to go to a smaller wheel if these sizes are still too uncomfortable for you.

regarding rim protection, some tires have a bit of a lip on them which may aid in rim protection but you will have to look at particular tires to see if they have them, but how the lip sits on a particular rim will be based on the rim design and the width of the tire. i.e. a narrower tire will be more stretched and any lip on the rubber will be pulled further back from the rims face so it will provide less protection the narrower you go. you can also get plastic guards that attach to the edge of the rim if its a big concern...as mentioned above ,you should look at the pictures of other peoples cars to see what certain brands of tires and widths look like on certain rims to see if a certain combination is what you're looking for, the combinations are too numerous to go over ..

anyways, good luck and post up a picture of what you end up so we can all admire the results
Old 02-06-2019, 02:04 AM
3BOSH
Registered Member

Awesome

Originally Posted by Hashim
Sorry I didn't realize the order is written differently where you are, in any event its doesn't really matter, the info is the same, the only reason I mentioned it is because you referred to a 270 (width) tire in your in your original post which probably wouldn't work on this car and isn't a widely available size in north america at least.

with respect to a 40 profile being bigger than a 35 this is not necessarily true. It depends on the with as the "40" and "35" numbers are percentages of the tires width. I.e. a 245/40 and a 275/35 have the same sidewall height. you are correct that width of the tread doesn't matter so much for comfort, its all in the sidewall. (Height and softness) As mentioned by myself and others in this thread the only way to go to an even more comfortable tire without causing problems in the car is to go to a smaller wheel if these sizes are still too uncomfortable for you.

regarding rim protection, some tires have a bit of a lip on them which may aid in rim protection but you will have to look at particular tires to see if they have them, but how the lip sits on a particular rim will be based on the rim design and the width of the tire. i.e. a narrower tire will be more stretched and any lip on the rubber will be pulled further back from the rims face so it will provide less protection the narrower you go. you can also get plastic guards that attach to the edge of the rim if its a big concern...as mentioned above ,you should look at the pictures of other peoples cars to see what certain brands of tires and widths look like on certain rims to see if a certain combination is what you're looking for, the combinations are too numerous to go over ..

anyways, good luck and post up a picture of what you end up so we can all admire the results
Thanks a lot Hisham, really appreciate it once more.
I will go browse the brands and sizes in the forum
Lastly since 90% of my priority is comfort do i just increase width and sidewall together or do i just maximize sidewall alone (i know increasing both limits how far u can gobon each)
​​​​​​thank you brothers.