Dip Pearl wheel paint WITHOUT plasti dip

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 01:00 PM
rk325
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dip Pearl wheel paint WITHOUT plasti dip

Sorry for the n00b question. It seems obvious enough, but clarification wouldnt hurt. I want to paint my wheels but the paint I bought was from dipyourcar.com. Will this paint work if I DON'T plasti dip my wheels first. I just want to sand and prime my rims then apply this paint. No plasti dip involved. Thanks and please keep the snide comments to yourself.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:38 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
So you bought a dip kit but don't want to dip the wheels?

I thought they only sell dip kits. No need to sand down the wheels. Just clean the surface and blast away.

If you don't want plastidip at all then look into powder coating for a professional finish around $300 for basic color or diy with high temp wheel paint which require stripping the top clearcoat which can be messy.
Old 08-01-2017, 04:52 PM
rk325
Registered Member

Originally Posted by HoldmyMouse
So you bought a dip kit but don't want to dip the wheels?

I thought they only sell dip kits. No need to sand down the wheels. Just clean the surface and blast away.

If you don't want plastidip at all then look into powder coating for a professional finish around $300 for basic color or diy with high temp wheel paint which require stripping the top clearcoat which can be messy.
I bought the paint off ebay, so it was a good price. I got a quote for $500 which is why I'm looking to do it myself with spray paint and clear coat, like I've seen on YouTube. When I read more about the paint, i later learned that it was part of the Plasti dip kit, but figured that paint is paint and that after I clean up the rims, I can just use the paint as that.
Old 08-01-2017, 07:41 PM
soundkillr

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
The point of plasti dip, is to spray a surface for a temporary look, then pull it off (clean) later. If you sand the surface it encourages paint prep, and defeats the point of a peel off paint. So now you have prepped for a permanent paint, and used crappy paint that will peel off if agitated, but still sort of stick to what was previously sanded. I suggest if you plasti dip, keep the surface clean, but dont scuff or sand it. If you want a permanent long term solution, sand and scuff all the wheels, and use a high temp paint system with clear, like acrylic enamel (which is a very durable single stage rattle can paint), or urethane which should be sprayed by a gun....
The following users liked this post:
rk325 (08-02-2017)
Old 08-02-2017, 08:04 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Powder coat them bad boys
Old 08-02-2017, 08:34 AM
rk325
Registered Member

Originally Posted by soundkillr
The point of plasti dip, is to spray a surface for a temporary look, then pull it off (clean) later. If you sand the surface it encourages paint prep, and defeats the point of a peel off paint. So now you have prepped for a permanent paint, and used crappy paint that will peel off if agitated, but still sort of stick to what was previously sanded. I suggest if you plasti dip, keep the surface clean, but dont scuff or sand it. If you want a permanent long term solution, sand and scuff all the wheels, and use a high temp paint system with clear, like acrylic enamel (which is a very durable single stage rattle can paint), or urethane which should be sprayed by a gun....
Thank you. This was what I wanted to know. I had bought the dip pear paint without realizing that it was part of a plasti dip kit, so I wanted clarification on if I could use this paint without plasti dipping.