Excessive rear tire wear

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2015, 09:58 PM
gsqrd
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Excessive rear tire wear

At 30K mi I replaced the OEM tires on my 2010 G37S vert with Pilot Super Sports. Now 15K mi later the rears are wearing twice as fast as fronts. No I don't sideshow! I am 72! The wear is pretty even and same on both sides so rear alignment while the usual suspect may not be the cause. Has anyone had similar experience? The Bridgestone OEMs were terrible but did not show this phenomenon.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:55 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
How much tread is left? Is tire pressure checked regularly?
Old 01-17-2015, 11:28 AM
gsqrd
Registered Member

tire wear

just about 1/4" above wear bars on rear tires. Pressure ok. both rears similar. Note tire rack website reduces tread life guaranty mileage by half on rear tires for staggered setups(front tires different size)! I know not why,
Old 01-17-2015, 12:47 PM
monytx
Registered Member

Received 116 Likes on 109 Posts
Is the vehicle aligned properly? I understand you said you are 72, however do you have a heavy foot? I am currently in the same position, however it's because my car is on an aftermarket suspension with no alignment kit/camber kit.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:46 PM
quakerroatmeal
Registered Member

Received 97 Likes on 79 Posts
Pilot Super Sport has a 6 yr / 30k miles warranty. If your alignment is good and they indeed wear out that fast Michelin could pro-rate the tires and refund you the difference I believe. Did you get an alignment right after you put on the new tires?
Old 01-17-2015, 03:56 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
That's not abnormal with a soft compound performace summer tire. Using two sets of rears for each set of fronts is my experience. If you've gotten 15K and still have usable tread left you've gotten out of them what you should have. If longer mileage is a concern, give up done grip and handling and opt for a longer wearing all season tire like the A/S 3.

If you have staggered figment and can't rotate the rear tires wear out much faster due to extra wheel spin because they're the driven wheels and more scrub wear because they don't turn like the fronts that are usually parallel to your axis of motion.
The following users liked this post:
gsqrd (01-17-2015)
Old 01-17-2015, 06:57 PM
Roadrash666
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 57 Posts
^^^^^What BB said^^^^^^^
Alot of manufacturers state the very same thing about treadwear on their websites.
The following users liked this post:
gsqrd (01-17-2015)
Old 01-18-2015, 12:02 AM
gsqrd
Registered Member

All good stuff

I guess this is more common than I thought. My OEM bridgestones and all tires on my prior MBZ 500SL did not do this. Verry intersting
Old 01-18-2015, 01:46 AM
JbabsG37
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hear the pilot ss is an awesome performance tire, but your experience sounds about right for that tire. Rear wheel drive+heavy *** end+not being able to swap them to the front+super soft compound=not much tire life. I almost pulled the trigger on these for my vert but went with Bridgestone re760s. My wife drive daily drives the G and I only get to play in it a little bit. It seems the the SS is best for harder driving and some track days, the re760 is better for some fun on the weekends and maybe a track day.

Check out this Car and Driver review. They use the SS as there benchmark tire.
Tire Test: Nine Affordable Summer Tires Take On the Michelin PS2 - Comparison Tests

I'd try to get replacment/pro rated replacement if you can. Either way, drive them hard and enjoy them then maybe look into something diff next time round.

Good luck
Old 01-18-2015, 03:22 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally Posted by gsqrd
just about 1/4" above wear bars on rear tires. Pressure ok. both rears similar. Note tire rack website reduces tread life guaranty mileage by half on rear tires for staggered setups(front tires different size)! I know not why,
I think a picture would be more explanatory. These tires come with 10/32" of tread. The wear bars are at 2/32, if you have 1/4" above that, that's 10/32" combined. Something's not right
Old 01-18-2015, 11:07 AM
gsqrd
Registered Member

Sorry about tread guess

I confess, I just guessed at tread depth. It is very close to wear bars compared to fronts. Will probably replace rears with same as hard to find this size. Would have gotten A/S versions initially but not avail... no conspiracy here.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:58 PM
ianphampton
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Too much right foot!

Bridgestones = harder compound, better miles but rubbish tyres (note UK spelling of tyres!)

MPSS = softer compound, better grip, higher wear
Old 07-06-2015, 07:45 PM
-SnowMan-

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by ianphampton
Too much right foot!

Bridgestones = harder compound, better miles but rubbish tyres (note UK spelling of tyres!)

MPSS = softer compound, better grip, higher wear
Really? I'm running Bridegstone Pole Position S-04's and they grip like crazy. They actually have a lower tread wear rating than the pilot super sports.
Old 07-07-2015, 01:21 PM
PanzMan
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by -SnowMan-
Really? I'm running Bridegstone Pole Position S-04's and they grip like crazy. They actually have a lower tread wear rating than the pilot super sports.
Remember that comparing treadwear values between brands is almost useless. It only has value when comparing tires within the same brand.
Old 09-11-2015, 05:30 PM
Pnrymmf
Premier Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
I use the standard Potenzas and I keep getting abnormal rear wear. I have the ipl vert and have not changes the suspension but my rear tires typically have more wear on the inside part of the rear tires. You guys see that uneven wear as much as fast wear? I have just 27k miles on them and they say need replace due to the insides over worn. And btw I'm not a fat a** weighing the car down either. Lol. Normal size guy and typically only me doing daily drive down I85 in atl.

Quick Reply: Excessive rear tire wear