Limited edition wheel paint code?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 01:17 AM
SlimTV
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Limited edition wheel paint code?

Hi, can anyone tell me what the paint code is for the "dark finish" wheels on the 2011 and newer limited edition sedans? Also is it the same as the finish on the IPL wheels? I called the dealer parts dept and they told me to try the service dept as there is no paint code from Infiniti at the moment. Then the service dept referred me to parts. Bottom line is they both said Infiniti has no wheel paint codes and that a good wheel refinisher should be able to match the paint by eye. My problem is Im not color matching a scratch, I want to paint my wheels that color, and my painter wants to know the paint code. I dont want regular gun metal grey nor plasti-dip, I want the oem Infiniti color. Help.
Old 08-12-2012, 03:06 PM
fx45guy

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
They don't make them for wheels because it isn't normal paint. There isn't a paint code for Hypersilver either (although there's a Toyota silver that's very close). I just told my wife this morning I need to start selling Hypersilver paint pens and retire because everybody wants one!
Old 08-13-2012, 12:01 AM
XSivG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

hey SlimTV,
read this article about Hypersilver and the painting process, very interesting and informative !!!
Wheel Finishes: Hypersilver

Good luck.
Russ
Old 09-08-2012, 06:13 PM
SlimTV
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I've been researching, and I found out some interesting things. Well, the dark finish on some wheels is a basic gunmetal-ish gray, others maybe hyper silver or a type of candy style paint process where a transparent top coat of paint is sprayed over a solid basecoat of a different color. But the really cool dark finish is simply Black Chrome. I recently saw an FX56S Limited as well as a G37xS limited coupe with the same Black Chrome 21" wheels and man I want them. They have depth to them, its like looking at a chameleon painted shiny mirror covered with tint. There was also a bluish pearly tint to them like on the inside of a nice sea shell. I also saw a M56S with black chrome but they were only the 20" sport wheels for that car.
According to the info I found about Infiniti's black chrome wheels, they are NOT electroplated like chrome, but are done in a style similar to powdercoating called PVD (Particle Vapor Deposition). Apparently its a more environmentally friendly and a much more durable alternative to chroming. Also it doesnt add extra weight like chrome wheels do, but they do seem to look better and cost more than chrome. Maybe because the technology is costly/labor intensive to do, or just because the demand and awe factor are very high right now. The M56S 20" stock silver wheels are $1500 a rim at the dealer! Tire not included. I cant imagine what the 21's would cost in black chrome. I can easily see the dealer charging $8K or more for a set with tires. I'll try to post pics.
Attached Thumbnails Limited edition wheel paint code?-black_chrome.jpg   Limited edition wheel paint code?-black_chrome2.jpg   Limited edition wheel paint code?-black_chrome3.jpg   Limited edition wheel paint code?-m56bc2.jpg   Limited edition wheel paint code?-m56bc.jpg  

Last edited by SlimTV; 01-05-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Jes-Z

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PVD is really nice. A lot of the luxury watch brands use PVD on their metal watches.