Switching summer to winter tires question

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 06:41 PM
enronforme

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Switching summer to winter tires question

Gonna swap out my oem Potenza's for a set of Michelin X-Ice winters I just bought (wheels and tires). I seem to remember reading (maybe tirerack's site?) that you need to be aware of a "pin" when putting on the new wheels- anything I need to be looking for or making sure of besides slapping them on and tightening the lugs? Any info woudl be appreciated. Thanks!
Bob

ps. Oh yeah- I just picked up my '08 G37s 6mt over the weekend- what a blast I'm having- from the driving to playing with the music box, etc.... I'm one happy dude!
Old 12-08-2011, 06:58 PM
xsmurdoc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its just like a screw on the front rotors that help you install your stock rims but you can just unscrew and thats it. You can put it back when u put ur stock rims but you really dont need too.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:59 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by enronforme
Gonna swap out my oem Potenza's for a set of Michelin X-Ice winters I just bought (wheels and tires). I seem to remember reading (maybe tirerack's site?) that you need to be aware of a "pin" when putting on the new wheels- anything I need to be looking for or making sure of besides slapping them on and tightening the lugs? Any info woudl be appreciated. Thanks!
Bob

ps. Oh yeah- I just picked up my '08 G37s 6mt over the weekend- what a blast I'm having- from the driving to playing with the music box, etc.... I'm one happy dude!
The "S" has a staggered setup meaning the rear wheels are wider. There is an extra stud in the front to remind you to put the correct wheels on but it is removed if you go aftermarket. The only thing you have to worry about is if the front wheels clear the BBK.
Old 12-08-2011, 07:02 PM
enronforme

Thanks for the info! I figured it was something pretty basic. I'm going 18"'s all around for winter.
Bob
Old 12-08-2011, 07:03 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
go to tire rack and buy a whole wheel and tire set. Don't put tires on your stock 19's as that will not be as effective. Down grading to a set of 18 inch wheels and tires will help a lot with wintry conditions and your car handling pot holes and all that fairly well. Just my .02..Its what I did for 3 winters when I had my coupe..
Old 12-08-2011, 07:04 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Received 60 Likes on 35 Posts
I just threw my wheels and tires on last weekend. There is a ~12mm bolt with a 5/8" collar screwed into the front rotors. It is there to prevent someone from putting your rear wheels on the front. You'll have to remove the 12mm bolt & collar to slap on your winters.

Cell phone pics attached
Attached Thumbnails Switching summer to winter tires question-waterloo-20111208-00002.jpg   Switching summer to winter tires question-img-20111123-00061.jpg  
Old 12-08-2011, 07:09 PM
enronforme

Originally Posted by Goonz
go to tire rack and buy a whole wheel and tire set. Don't put tires on your stock 19's as that will not be as effective. Down grading to a set of 18 inch wheels and tires will help a lot with wintry conditions and your car handling pot holes and all that fairly well. Just my .02..Its what I did for 3 winters when I had my coupe..
That's what I ended up doing after checking the used market- just wasn't worth getting something that may or may not be smooth, etc.- wheels and tires should be delivered tomorrow!
Bob
Old 12-08-2011, 07:10 PM
enronforme

Originally Posted by Dough1397
I just threw my wheels and tires on last weekend. There is a ~12mm bolt with a 5/8" collar screwed into the front rotors. It is there to prevent someone from putting your rear wheels on the front. You'll have to remove the 12mm bolt & collar to slap on your winters.

Cell phone pics attached
Awesome! Thanks for the pics- I would've been befuddled with that screw!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 07:29 PM
Goonz
Premier Member

Received 60 Likes on 54 Posts
Originally Posted by Dough1397

Cell phone pics attached
umm no

that screw is used to remove the rotor if in the case that it is stuck. You unscrew that piece, remove the washer tube, screw back on all the way and POP your rotor comes off..
Old 12-08-2011, 07:57 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
umm no

that screw is used to remove the rotor if in the case that it is stuck. You unscrew that piece, remove the washer tube, screw back on all the way and POP your rotor comes off..
wha? not according to the FSM.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:44 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

umm no

That sounds like it would work if you were ever in such a situation.

I've kept these parts in a ziploc bag just in case I feel the need to put them back on in the future. I would recommend others do the same.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:06 PM
G37Vert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
He won't need to take the screw out if he puts the front wheels on the front and the rear on the rear. At least I didn't have to when I put on my G35 wheels for winter.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:26 PM
Dough1397
Registered Member

Originally Posted by G37Vert
He won't need to take the screw out if he puts the front wheels on the front and the rear on the rear. At least I didn't have to when I put on my G35 wheels for winter.
You're right, the OEM front wheels fit over that "pin" easily.

Awesome! Thanks for the pics- I would've been befuddled with that screw!!!
I was kinda ticked off when I went to put my winters on and saw this... I had read about it and was ready to take care of it when the time came. Then the time came, and I realized I left my socket set at my parents' place 90 minutes away
Old 12-09-2011, 08:13 AM
enronforme

So to recap- unscrew the bolt, remove the washer tube, and screw the bolt back in (they're after market wheels). Correct?
Bob
Old 12-09-2011, 08:27 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
So to recap- unscrew the bolt, remove the washer tube, and screw the bolt back in (they're after market wheels). Correct?
Bob
NO! ..whoever said that was explaining an alternate use for that bolt. He was saying it could be used to pop off a stuck rotor!

To put on your winter wheels, remove the bolt and sleeve and save it somewhere. Mount your new wheels and done.

Quick Reply: Switching summer to winter tires question