Weird idea - would like some feedback (wider wheels in front)

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2010, 07:00 PM
IgS

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Weird idea - would like some feedback (wider wheels in front)

Hey guys.

I know it’s a silly idea – so pls don’t flame – hear me out and offer feedback as im just brainstorming

I got a G37X – got the coupe 19’s with 245/40/19’s all around. Since the back wheels are wider by .5” the tires are a bit angled. Im lowered on Eibachs and the wheels came in a lot more than I would like. I really don’t want to put spacers on the front, but don’t mind them on the back.

I was thinking of putting the wider wheels in the front and the others in the back with 15mm spacers to make both front and back wheels sit more flush. The tires on the 8.5" wheels look a bit fuller while the ones on the 9.0" wheels looks a bit “sportier” so I think it would look really good, and I think it would handle better, since the sidewall is a bit stiffer on the wider wheels.

Other than it being kind of silly to have wider wheels in the front … any other negative effects?

Thx
Old 04-07-2010, 07:05 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
You sure have a talent at complicating your life lol
Old 04-07-2010, 07:12 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't know if 0.5" is enough to make a difference, but it may feel more difficult to steer. and acceleration will take a dip, in theory at least.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:14 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
+1 agree with Sam...also if you have a X then all your tires need to be the same size
Old 04-07-2010, 07:30 PM
IgS

Haha yea I do have a tendency for that. But hey keeps me busy

now all the tires are the same size so that's not the issue. It's the wheels. Also to the above poster - if anything the acceleration should be better since the lighter wheels would go on the back and are 1lb lighter. But I agree that steering might be a bit more tight.

Thx for the input guys
Old 04-07-2010, 07:33 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

oh so you are talking about keeping the 245/40's but just getting new wheels?
Old 04-07-2010, 07:36 PM
IgS

Nah I was talking about just putting the rears in the front and the front Wheels on the rear since the tires are all the same size..
Old 04-07-2010, 07:43 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

ok, haha I understand you original post now

yeah you might get some goofy looks and new handling to get used to, but mechanically I don't think anything would go wrong
Old 04-07-2010, 10:25 PM
Sunny G
Registered Member

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
If you say your rear wheels are angled then you need a camber kit to get it straight, and not put the rear wheels on the front.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:28 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

well the wheels SHOULD be angled slightly, the OEM spec camber is slightly negative
Old 04-07-2010, 10:28 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
What other car have you ever seen with wider wheels or tires on the front of the car than on the back? You've never seen that before ever? Hmmmmm. What might that indicate?
Old 04-07-2010, 10:52 PM
SindhiStyle

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Black Betty
What other car have you ever seen with wider wheels or tires on the front of the car than on the back? You've never seen that before ever? Hmmmmm. What might that indicate?
You must be implying that it is a FANTASTIC idea to try something new and not be a follower...LOL jk

After you got your car lowered did you get an alignment? Did they tell you if your camber was off? You are better off getting your camber fixed (if thats the case) first before trying something "different". You will have lots of uneven wear on your tires otherwise.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:52 PM
IgS

Originally Posted by gangsta999
If you say your rear wheels are angled then you need a camber kit to get it straight, and not put the rear wheels on the front.
The wheels are not angled. The tires are..
Tires are same size, wheels arent / thus the wider wheels cause the sidewall of the tire to be at an angle.

BB - yea i know that no other cars other than FWD dragsters put larger wheels on the front. But, larger wheels usually mean larger tires. This is not the case here. I was pretty confident that i was going to get this answer here but if the difference is only aesthetically, then im using the spacers for the back for the "wider" look in the back anyways. And im positive that unless i specifically tell someone that the fronts are wider, then no one know...

And i know its a silly solution for a problem thats solved with "proper" wheels. But just wanted to hear ppl's thoughts
Old 04-07-2010, 10:54 PM
IgS

Originally Posted by SindhiStyle
You are better off getting your camber fixed (if thats the case) first before trying something "different". You will have lots of uneven wear on your tires otherwise.
My camber is absolutely fine on both front and back. The angled thing was referring to the tires.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
I have a Maxima with 350Z wheels. I took it in and got tires and an alignment. They put the rears (wider wheels in the back, same sized tires all around like you have) on the front. It drove like crap. I drove it straight back and had them put it back like it was supposed to be. And it's a FWD car.

Do what you want, but your idea makes absolutely no sense whatsoever to me. Not to mention that you should have all 4 wheels the exact same size if you have AWD, but that's already off by having different overall circumference on the front and rear axles so maybe your backward stagger won't make it any worse. Try it out and let us know. Maybe you are onto something the rest of the entire automotive world has missed.

Quick Reply: Weird idea - would like some feedback (wider wheels in front)