48 Hours and a Tire Blow Out!

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 12:14 AM
aGent37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
48 Hours and a Tire Blow Out!

I was expecting to have a more light hearted first post, but such is life I guess. I just picked up my new 08 Black Journey G37S last Thursday. Saturday night I was driving back home to Jersey on the Belt Parkway, coming from a party in Brooklyn. About a mile before I got on the Verrazano Narrows Bridge my Emergency Light comes on and I of course start freaking out. By the time I got over the bridge it was all too obvious what had happened, somehow my front driver side tire decided to blow out after only a 100 miles of driving! By the time I pulled over in Staten Island, my tire was ripped to shreds. I was standing next to the car only minutes before and everything was fine, and I definitely dint hit anything in the 5 minutes between then and the blow out.

I ended up having to wait an hour for Infiniti to call some local service to change the spare.

Monday morning i was back at the dealership and pissed to say the least. After a long talk with the manager of the dealership, they finally offered to replace my tire for free. (The dealer said that it was probably my fault anyway and that he was just being nice!)
Old 02-07-2008, 12:28 AM
nestle_!9

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What the F**k!! ,, screw the dealership,, whats wrong with these guys ,,, but im glad your okei ,,, ill welcome you anyway ,, hmmm you'll love your G ,, i assure that ,, but i think this is not one of the best first impression of the car
Old 02-07-2008, 12:43 AM
dmx434343

you can't change the tire your self? What this car comes with no jack?!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:14 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
There was no nail in the tires? Or did it shred before you could take a look? The dealer actually replaced your blown tire for you for free?! That smells a bit fishy.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:14 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I do find it odd that you couldn't/wouldn't change a tire yourself and waited an hour for someone to come do it for you...

And yes, the dealer was just being nice because we all know that a tire is not something under warranty. Maybe you didn't hit anything, buy you could have run over something sharp you didn't notice. Send the dealer a thank you note because it cost them a lot of money to send road service to you and replace your expensive Bridgestone when they didn't have to.

Welcome to the OB club. Enjoy your new ride!
Old 02-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Garnet Canuck
Traveling Administrator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by aGent37
I was expecting to have a more light hearted first post, but such is life I guess. I just picked up my new 08 Black Journey G37S last Thursday. Saturday night I was driving back home to Jersey on the Belt Parkway, coming from a party in Brooklyn. About a mile before I got on the Verrazano Narrows Bridge my Emergency Light comes on and I of course start freaking out. By the time I got over the bridge it was all too obvious what had happened, somehow my front driver side tire decided to blow out after only a 100 miles of driving! By the time I pulled over in Staten Island, my tire was ripped to shreds. I was standing next to the car only minutes before and everything was fine, and I definitely dint hit anything in the 5 minutes between then and the blow out.

I ended up having to wait an hour for Infiniti to call some local service to change the spare.

Monday morning i was back at the dealership and pissed to say the least. After a long talk with the manager of the dealership, they finally offered to replace my tire for free. (The dealer said that it was probably my fault anyway and that he was just being nice!)
I understand you being a little ticked blowing a tire right after you took delivery, BUT I certainly wouldn't be pissed at the dealer. How is it their fault? IMO, you are lucky the dealership replaced your tire at no charge.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:21 AM
Callaway
Arm flailing tube man

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nestle_!9
What the F**k!! ,, screw the dealership,, whats wrong with these guys ,,, but im glad your okei ,,, ill welcome you anyway ,, hmmm you'll love your G ,, i assure that ,, but i think this is not one of the best first impression of the car
What is wrong with them? They replaced a non-warranty item for the guy at no charge. That's what's wrong with them.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:27 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
They tires are not warranty items because they are wearable but they are covered under normal road hazard and with only 100 miles on them even if you had to pay it would have only been like 10%. They could have d!cked you around but they came through for you. I would be happy with the outcome considering the situation.
Old 02-07-2008, 09:35 AM
DiamondGCoupe
Administrator

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
Same thing happend to me on my G35, I blamed the dealer for the blow out since my tire PSI was at 50. If it had not been so high I don't think the tire would have blown the way it did and cause it to need to be replaced. So IMO, I'd blame the dealer too. Did you have some kind of tire warranty?
Old 02-07-2008, 09:46 AM
GodWhomIsMike

The dealer my folks got their EX35 last night, offered them tire/rim replacement plan for $600. They declined, but maybe this is what the OP had?

Also, I am not a fan of Bridgestone tires after the awful experiences I've had with my Subaru. I had one tear along the bead with less than 300 miles on the odometer.
Old 02-07-2008, 11:17 AM
aGent37

Firstly, I was angry that my tire blew in the first place. The tire had a gash in the sidewall that was more than obviously caused by some sort of blow out. Before my G37 I drove a Mitsubishi 3000gt with 19inch Perrelli low profile tires for 3 years and not once did I have to replace them!

I didn't change the tire myself for two reasons. It was 2am on the Staten Island Expressway in about 25 degree weather, and I was parked right off one of the busiest toll booths in the country... Not exactly the safest location to be out of your car. Secondly, I knew that chances were the tire was defective. If I had any chance of getting a new tire from the dealer, I should let professional Infiniti techs handle the removal of the tire.

The dealer at first told me I would have to go talk to Bridgestone, but eventually gave in and replaced the tire himself. After the dealer replaced the tire (as they should) i felt much better. This is the 7th car I have brought or leased from that dealer overall, and I also currently own a FX35. I expected at least a little bit of loyalty on the dealers part for my ordeal.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:25 PM
GodWhomIsMike

Yeah, there is not a chance in hell I would get out of my car to change a tire by the toll plaza on the Staten Island Expressway.

I had bad luck with the Bridgestones on my Legacy GT (size: 215/45/17). By 1300 miles, 1 blew out at 300 miles and three others developed huge bubbles in their sidewalls. I switched to Toyo Proxes, and have nearly 23,000 miles on them with no issues at all.

I'm trading the Legacy in this summer, and strongly considering a G37 with the Sport Package, but have strong reservations with the stock Bridgestone tires.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:02 PM
majin ssj eric

^^^^Bridgestones are excellent tires. I have no idea what you are talking about. I've owned them in various sizes on various cars for years and have never had a problem. WHatever trouble you had with them is certainly not indicative of the whole brand.

And to the guy that was talking about his Pirellis; the same thing applies. I'm sure there is someone out there who has blown a Pirelli before so does that make all Pirellis bad??
Old 02-07-2008, 01:05 PM
GodWhomIsMike

Originally Posted by majin ssj eric
^^^^Bridgestones are excellent tires. I have no idea what you are talking about. I've owned them in various sizes on various cars for years and have never had a problem. WHatever trouble you had with them is certainly not indicative of the whole brand.

And to the guy that was talking about his Pirellis; the same thing applies. I'm sure there is someone out there who has blown a Pirelli before so does that make all Pirellis bad??
Have you ever used a Bridgestone Potenza RE92?
Old 02-07-2008, 01:09 PM
majin ssj eric

They are on my G now with 2200 miles on them. And I expect them to last another 20k with no problems....

Quick Reply: 48 Hours and a Tire Blow Out!