Vendor Comments/Reviews/Feedback Comments, Reviews, and Feedback on MyG37 Vendors

Vendor Review: Diode Dynamics

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 07:18 PM
jbehren

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry Vendor Review: Diode Dynamics

First, when I ordered, I waited for a week and then emailed, asking them to either ship my order or refund my money. I received back a very impolite email stating that there was a "very obvious" notice on their website that they were moving and all orders would ship the following week.
I may have missed the notice on the site, but they probably should have at least mentioned it in the automated email after I placed the order. And they absolutely should not be rude in response.

Next, when I got the order it was missing two of the bulbs. Additionally, the amber & red LEDs are not labeled with color, so being eager to install them anyhow I tore apart my entire trunk to get at the bulbs, only to find out they were the amber ones. They were not exceptionally quick to respond, but they did ship me the missing bulbs in a reasonable timeframe (3d).

The "HID fog kit" for G37s is just a basic HID kit for the bulb type - but it doesn't even come with connectors - so it's just two metal prongs stuck into the socket and electrical tape. Also, the ballasts are pretty much huge.
Another thing - and this one is on me - they don't mention that it's a royal PITA to install any of these bulbs. Taillights require you to take apart half the trunk, and the front turn signals and fogs require wheel removal.

The interior bulbs all installed without hassle, but for the turn signals the wire connectors *all* had plastic molding residue, requiring me to scrape out a chunk of plastic on all 8 before they were usable.

Finally, I installed 3/4 resistors with no problem. The fourth did not work, and got alarmingly hot. Like, melt plastic hot. I emailed to inform DD, and was told "it gets hot when it's working correctly. Make sure you installed it properly." Well, unfortunately there were no instructions with the shipment so I made an educated guess (My father is an electrical engineer, and I have a basic knowledge of electrical components and did google to ensure resistors aren't directional). So. either I got lucky on 3 of the 4 or the 4th one is bad.

When I asked them to overnight me a replacement, since I'm already annoyed that this will be the THIRD time I have to tear my trunk apart - I was told they simply "do not overnight warranty parts".

[Edit] One last thing - the bulb quality seemed fine, but the wires they use at the connection point seem flimsy, and nearly all of them had slight issues connecting well enough to get power (the metal stuck too close to the bulb and wouldn't flex outward enough to make contact with the socket).

So, in short - I will never again do business with Diode Dynamics, and I may ask my CC company to reverse at least part of the charges.

Last edited by jbehren; 04-05-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 04-05-2012, 07:23 PM
Rad_Slinger

Received 81 Likes on 59 Posts
this is the third or fourth bad review they've gotten in the last month or so.

i'm getting ready to order led's for the rear of my car. i may end up going with VLED instead after reading all the same kind of reviews. i have ordered from DD before, but i think i'm leaning not to repeat business.

thanks for the review.
Old 04-05-2012, 09:00 PM
NeverBoneStock
Premier Member

Received 69 Likes on 56 Posts
Yeah ... Their customer service is not the best ...
Old 04-05-2012, 09:18 PM
jujubii
Premier Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
tearing apart your car is pretty much a given when you want to install any bulbs in your head or taillights. they shouldnt be dinged for that.
electrical components go bad all the time. the QA that goes into is is probably really poor.

however, i feel they should be dinged for the plastic molding on the connectors and their rudeness.

ive gotten vleds (there is a lot to choose from) for a whole interior swap. though they are somewhat pricey, i havent had ANY issues since ive put them on -its been about 2 years now-
Old 04-06-2012, 03:41 AM
Presto

Received 73 Likes on 66 Posts
Stick to v-LEDs much better. Just have to patient as many of their LEDs go out of stock quick.
Old 04-06-2012, 04:26 AM
B L U E S L A T E
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
iJDMtoy, v-LED, the retrofit source... there are many good sites out there. Just saying....
Old 04-06-2012, 09:45 AM
hinomura

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Yeah their customer service is garbage. I tried to email them a nice review email and I never heard back since. I also noticed the extremely poor quality of the HID fog light conversion kit. I had to do the same metal prong/electrical tape ghetto rig to get the ballast to connect to the socket. I'm thinking to myself I just paid good money to do a college dorm level install on my luxury car......great. How hard would it be to buy a $10 connector, terminate, and heat shrink that sh*t to make a solid connector? I'd actually pay more for a finished product that doesn't have a statistical chance of shorting out. Verdict: Would not buy again.
Old 04-06-2012, 10:14 AM
I nJoy Rice

Has any of yall used "DDMTUNING"? Im looking into getting their 6000K replacement bulb but its $15 which seems to good to be true.

Last edited by I nJoy Rice; 04-06-2012 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Hit post on accident
Old 04-06-2012, 10:35 AM
pauliewalnutzz
Registered Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
V-LED's>>>>
Old 04-06-2012, 11:04 AM
hinomura

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by I nJoy Rice
Has any of yall used "DDMTUNING"? Im looking into getting their 6000K replacement bulb but its $15 which seems to good to be true.
You get what you pay for. I would imagine you will have firing problems. I tried to go lean and bought cheap bulbs. I then had to toggle my lights on and off like 5 times every night before driving home because the bulbs had bad fitment or had to warm up or so it seemed. This was annoying as hell and also bad for the ballast so I just got the DD bulbs for like $40 and they fired up instantly. If you wanna chance it go for it.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:37 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 117 Posts
Originally Posted by jbehren
First, when I ordered, I waited for a week and then emailed, asking them to either ship my order or refund my money. I received back a very impolite email stating that there was a "very obvious" notice on their website that they were moving and all orders would ship the following week.
I may have missed the notice on the site, but they probably should have at least mentioned it in the automated email after I placed the order. And they absolutely should not be rude in response.

Next, when I got the order it was missing two of the bulbs. Additionally, the amber & red LEDs are not labeled with color, so being eager to install them anyhow I tore apart my entire trunk to get at the bulbs, only to find out they were the amber ones. They were not exceptionally quick to respond, but they did ship me the missing bulbs in a reasonable timeframe (3d).

The "HID fog kit" for G37s is just a basic HID kit for the bulb type - but it doesn't even come with connectors - so it's just two metal prongs stuck into the socket and electrical tape. Also, the ballasts are pretty much huge.
Another thing - and this one is on me - they don't mention that it's a royal PITA to install any of these bulbs. Taillights require you to take apart half the trunk, and the front turn signals and fogs require wheel removal.

The interior bulbs all installed without hassle, but for the turn signals the wire connectors *all* had plastic molding residue, requiring me to scrape out a chunk of plastic on all 8 before they were usable.

Finally, I installed 3/4 resistors with no problem. The fourth did not work, and got alarmingly hot. Like, melt plastic hot. I emailed to inform DD, and was told "it gets hot when it's working correctly. Make sure you installed it properly." Well, unfortunately there were no instructions with the shipment so I made an educated guess (My father is an electrical engineer, and I have a basic knowledge of electrical components and did google to ensure resistors aren't directional). So. either I got lucky on 3 of the 4 or the 4th one is bad.

When I asked them to overnight me a replacement, since I'm already annoyed that this will be the THIRD time I have to tear my trunk apart - I was told they simply "do not overnight warranty parts".

[Edit] One last thing - the bulb quality seemed fine, but the wires they use at the connection point seem flimsy, and nearly all of them had slight issues connecting well enough to get power (the metal stuck too close to the bulb and wouldn't flex outward enough to make contact with the socket).

So, in short - I will never again do business with Diode Dynamics, and I may ask my CC company to reverse at least part of the charges.
The message that was sent to you was:
"When you ordered on Saturday, March 3rd it clearly stated on our website that your order would not ship until March 12th (this upcoming Monday), as we are changing locations this week. If you have any problems with this, we can refund your order. "

This was strongly worded in order to be clear, due to the initial email you sent to us, in which you immediately threatened to call your credit card company. While admittedly Julie could have been nicer about the situation, the notice on our site was written in very large, bold, red letters on the checkout page, and I know she was getting a bit frustrated that customers still were not seeing that. I'm sorry for her message, which may have been a bit too blunt. There are only so many ways we can try to inform customers about a situation like this.

I don't know what you mean by "the ballasts are pretty much huge." They are very small, modern, digital ballasts. Have you seen smaller ones somewhere? They're thinner than a deck of cards...

"the wire connectors *all* had plastic molding residue, requiring me to scrape out a chunk of plastic on all 8 before they were usable." The connectors are supposed to have that "residue" in order to block/stop the wire that is being tapped into the other one. This is very, very standard.

As far as installation instructions, on the sheet that comes with your order, it says in large, marked-off font: Please visit http://www.diodedynamics.com/install for installation instructions. There you will find a diagram for resistor installation.

The resistors are supposed to get hot- that's how they work. I asked you to double check the connectors via email, as this means the resistor is working- it's doing something if it's getting hot. I have yet to reply to your most recent email from last night but we will be replacing the resistor due to the circumstances. However, I'm just concerned as I don't think a new resistor will solve your problem if that one is already heating up.

I'm sorry that your experience with us was not satisfactory, but I feel that my staff and I did a good job of keeping you informed, replying to all of your concerns (though Julie could have been kinder in that first email), and assisting you to resolve issues as soon as possible.

Last edited by Diode Dynamics; 04-06-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:43 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Mattster
this is the third or fourth bad review they've gotten in the last month or so.

i'm getting ready to order led's for the rear of my car. i may end up going with VLED instead after reading all the same kind of reviews. i have ordered from DD before, but i think i'm leaning not to repeat business.

thanks for the review.
It's easy to come online and post a bad review, but you'll rarely see someone start a thread just because they placed an order, got it 3 days later, and were happy with the products. Nothing noteworthy there. We have around 10 customers every day that order from MyG37. Just something to think about.

Last edited by Diode Dynamics; 04-06-2012 at 01:54 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:46 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by NeverBoneStock
Yeah ... Their customer service is not the best ...
You ordered lights from us, finally tried to install them 6 months later, and realized you ordered the wrong size. We offered to exchange the bulbs for the correct size at no charge, but you refused, so you returned them, and we issued full store credit, as we cannot make a refund to a card after 120 days.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:48 PM
Diode Dynamics
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hinomura
Yeah their customer service is garbage. I tried to email them a nice review email and I never heard back since. I also noticed the extremely poor quality of the HID fog light conversion kit. I had to do the same metal prong/electrical tape ghetto rig to get the ballast to connect to the socket. I'm thinking to myself I just paid good money to do a college dorm level install on my luxury car......great. How hard would it be to buy a $10 connector, terminate, and heat shrink that sh*t to make a solid connector? I'd actually pay more for a finished product that doesn't have a statistical chance of shorting out. Verdict: Would not buy again.
Did you need anything in any email you tried to send us? Or did you post a review? Our system does not reply to each posted review on our website, and it's possible that your email went unanswered if it was a quick "thanks!" in reply to a shipment email or something.

I'm not sure what you are talking about regarding the wiring- please PM me with details regarding this and your order, as it's definitely something we could do if our kits currently lack some feature that is needed. Thank you.

Last edited by Diode Dynamics; 04-06-2012 at 01:56 PM.
Old 04-06-2012, 05:34 PM
jbehren

Originally Posted by Diode Dynamics
This was strongly worded in order to be clear, due to the initial email you sent to us, in which you immediately threatened to call your credit card company.
When I don't hear anything from a company a week after I place an order and my card is charged, my first assumption is that it's a scam or they've gone out of business.

Sorry if that seems like a threat, but to me it seems prudent.

Quick Reply: Vendor Review: Diode Dynamics