Southern California San Diego, Los Angeles, Orange County, Inland Empire, etc.

Anyone who got a tune in OC please help!

Old 05-17-2012, 07:09 PM
whatthefoie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone who got a tune in OC please help!

Anyone who got a tune done in the OC area, i need your help. I am getting a tune for my g37 sedan but im wondering where the best place is.. two options are stillen in costa mesa, or church automotive in long beach. anyone who has gotten a tune from them please let me know how it turned out and which you would recommend!
Old 05-17-2012, 08:03 PM
seymore4
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Churches hands down. Guys one of the best tuners out there. Keep in mind tho that if you just roll in and get a flash and tune that you won't get the cipher cable, so you can't datalog, clear codes, OR reflash back to stock and sell it later if you part out.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:07 PM
GRG37

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by seymore4
Churches hands down. Guys one of the best tuners out there. Keep in mind tho that if you just roll in and get a flash and tune that you won't get the cipher cable, so you can't datalog, clear codes, OR reflash back to stock and sell it later if you part out.

^^^^^^^^^ this +1 Shawn is the **** for g units
Old 05-18-2012, 02:01 AM
whatthefoie

thanks for the replies, will be heading into church for the tune tomorrow morning! ill try and post some before and after graphs!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:53 AM
DjFromVA

in for the graphs!
Old 05-18-2012, 12:49 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm not even remotely close to California, but Church's Auto isn't anything new in my book. From all the reviews and their reputation, they know their chit.
Old 05-18-2012, 04:03 PM
whatthefoie

I was in earlier today but i didnt get the tune

the guy ran a baseline dyno on their dynopack, he was fiddling with some computer stuff for about an hour and then he said that uprev didnt have the rom for my car? I didnt know what that meant but he sent some information to osiris and he said that they would get back to him in a few days with a compatible rom to tune the car.

i know the dynopack is pretty generous since it is attached to the hub and there is no power loss by the rotational mass of the spinning wheel..

but these are the numbers i got
HP = 337.66
TQ = 279.75

I'll remember to take my flash drive to them to get the graphs, i have them on paper but i dont have a scanner :P
Old 05-18-2012, 04:31 PM
seymore4
Registered Member

You should have asked him to explain what was going on. Basically uprev hasn't cracke your specific ecu yet so he downloaded relevant parts of it and sent it in so their engineers can write a patch and add it to the database. Usually takes around 2 weeks to get a working rom file back
Old 05-18-2012, 04:43 PM
whatthefoie

You should have asked him to explain what was going on. Basically uprev hasn't cracke your specific ecu yet so he downloaded relevant parts of it and sent it in so their engineers can write a patch and add it to the database. Usually takes around 2 weeks to get a working rom file back
Hey that sounds something like what he said, your right though i should have asked him to explain it in layman's terms. but around two weeks?! humm i wonder why he told me it would only take a day or so.
Old 05-18-2012, 05:01 PM
seymore4
Registered Member

Sometimes you can use a different ROM instead of it, if he sends in the dump they can tell him which rom to use instead. It's rare but is possible
Old 05-21-2012, 03:14 PM
whatthefoie

Uprev didnt respond yet so i wont be going in today ill try this friday!!
Old 05-21-2012, 03:41 PM
seymore4
Registered Member

Like I said, plan on 2 weeks or so. I wouldn't make any solid plans until you're sure they've it the rom back, it'd suck to take time off work or something and not be able to even get it done
Old 05-21-2012, 05:19 PM
whatthefoie

Like I said, plan on 2 weeks or so. I wouldn't make any solid plans until you're sure they've it the rom back, it'd suck to take time off work or something and not be able to even get it done
thanks for all the replies, may i ask how you know so much?

also, would cracking my specific ECU and getting the patched ROM be the best for tuning my car? like if they were to use a different ROM that still worked for my car would that be able to get the same amount of gains? is it up to how good the tuner is?
Old 05-21-2012, 05:31 PM
seymore4
Registered Member

Originally Posted by whatthefoie
thanks for all the replies, may i ask how you know so much?

also, would cracking my specific ECU and getting the patched ROM be the best for tuning my car? like if they were to use a different ROM that still worked for my car would that be able to get the same amount of gains? is it up to how good the tuner is?
I've been around there's a lot of things that aren't very clear on uprev's site and unfortunately that leads to lots of misinformation, which some shops use to make more profit off the customer.. To an extent a tune is a Tune, but what's best for the shop isn't always what's best for the consumer.

The Rom file doesn't matter, as long as it unlocks the ecu. Then it's just a matter of how good the tuner is and how much individualized attention he gives your car, I know some places that just flash a generic canned tune and do a couple runs while they play with the WOT part to get good numbers, other tuners start from scratch and make only one off custom tunes. That's where a lot Of the price difference comes in as well. A $500 dyno tune is not necessarily the same quality of tune as a $750 tune.. It's kind of a grey area
Old 05-22-2012, 07:51 PM
whatthefoie

I've been around there's a lot of things that aren't very clear on uprev's site and unfortunately that leads to lots of misinformation, which some shops use to make more profit off the customer.. To an extent a tune is a Tune, but what's best for the shop isn't always what's best for the consumer.

The Rom file doesn't matter, as long as it unlocks the ecu. Then it's just a matter of how good the tuner is and how much individualized attention he gives your car, I know some places that just flash a generic canned tune and do a couple runs while they play with the WOT part to get good numbers, other tuners start from scratch and make only one off custom tunes. That's where a lot Of the price difference comes in as well. A $500 dyno tune is not necessarily the same quality of tune as a $750 tune.. It's kind of a grey area
Cool man thanks for the help.

Ah yeah i see what you mean.. ive heard a lot of good things from Church, everyone always talks about Sean there but i havent met him. im sure the other workers there are great at tuning too, i would just like sean himself to do it :P

interesting.. anyway like i was saying church has a good reputation so im not too worried about my tune. i actually got a text last night from one of the workers saying they got the Rom! friday cant get here any sooner!!

quick question though.. how much throttle lag can you remove with a tune?

when im at a stop, ill accelerate to a medium speed and my car will be at 2k rpm, once i reach 45mph ill ease off the gas pedal and the rpm will drop to 1.5krpm and the exhaust gets very low and bassy, if i put my foot back on the gas pedal and press a tiny bit, the exhaust gets very loud. i press more and more but the RPM stays the same at 1.5k and the speed only increases slightly.. but the drone gets pretty darn loud. i have to almost floor it and the RPM goes up and the car boosts up to a much higher speed.. its rather annoying. can that be fixed with a tune?