SouthEast Serving AL, FL, GA, KY, NC, SC, TN

Help with using manual mode on auto transmission

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2014, 11:40 PM
2cold

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Help with using manual mode on auto transmission

I am going to be brutally honest... I have never driven a manual in my life. I have the 7 speed auto, but I don't feel like I shift properly in manual mode. Any help would be appreciated. I really struggle on downshifting too. I don't know if I show keep my foot on the gas when I downshift or what... Yeah, I'm lost, lol.

Any tips?
Old 04-12-2014, 08:00 AM
patrickmcv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When down shifting have your foot off the gas, your engine will rev match for a smooth down shift. Timing and shifting at the right RPM takes a little practice and I prefer to use the gear shifter instead of the paddles for a quicker response time. I also lift my foot off the gas slightly when up shifting, again its all in the timing. IMO DS mode in my 5At is best suited for shifting between 2,3,4 on a curvy back road where you can open her up and keep on the power band just don't let the back end come around! Hope this helps!
Old 04-12-2014, 10:20 AM
ViperG37s

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by patrickmcv
when down shifting have your foot off the gas, your engine will rev match for a smooth down shift. Timing and shifting at the right rpm takes a little practice and i prefer to use the gear shifter instead of the paddles for a quicker response time. I also lift my foot off the gas slightly when up shifting, again its all in the timing. Imo ds mode in my 5at is best suited for shifting between 2,3,4 on a curvy back road where you can open her up and keep on the power band just don't let the back end come around! Hope this helps!
+1 ...
Old 04-14-2014, 08:17 PM
2cold

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the tips! They really helped a lot. Will me being sloppy with the shifting mess up my transmission?
Old 04-15-2014, 09:35 AM
Pnrymmf
Premier Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
2cold i grew up driving a 1st Gen Rx7 so i was jacked up a little on any manual or sport mode shifting since then due to the rotary having higher reving engine. sometimes if im not paying close attention i tend to run the rpms higher than I probably should.