SouthEast Serving AL, FL, GA, KY, NC, SC, TN

7AT Problems.. FML

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 08:51 AM
stormgate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dude... has it been 28 days at the dealer to be fixed?

that's almost lemon law matterial in NY...

The New York State Attorney General -New Car Lemon Law Fact Sheet

Duty to Repair:
A reasonable chance for a manufacturer or its authorized agent to repair a problem for a new car is considered to be:

Four or more attempts to repair and the problem continues to exist; OR
The car is out of service by reason of repair of one or more problems for a cumulative total of 30 days or more.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:22 AM
JGabucci

Originally Posted by stormgate
dude... has it been 28 days at the dealer to be fixed?

that's almost lemon law matterial in NY...

The New York State Attorney General -New Car Lemon Law Fact Sheet

Duty to Repair:
A reasonable chance for a manufacturer or its authorized agent to repair a problem for a new car is considered to be:

Four or more attempts to repair and the problem continues to exist; OR
The car is out of service by reason of repair of one or more problems for a cumulative total of 30 days or more.
Yes, but the car has 20k in mileage. The limit is 18k in NY. Also, they want to see what was done before the 18k in order for it to be considered.

I spoke to the dealer yesterday and he tells me the engineer suggested re-programming the TCU. That can't take more then an hour to do and test. I smell BS up and down on this and I don't know which way to turn to resolve this problem. It just seems really fishy.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:35 AM
blackfunk
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Kings? Who are you dealing with over there?
Old 08-23-2011, 11:14 AM
JGabucci

Blackfunk - I leased four cars through Kings. Bob Pearl refused to match a lease rate on my 09 Fx35 so I went to Legacy. It was a substantial difference per month. Kings now has refused to service ANY of my cars.

The car in at Legacy Infiniti in Lynnbrook. I have a lawyer on standby at this point. I am giving them until Friday to provide me with a solution before I proceed. I am just really concerned at this point, too many changing stories and no straight answers.

"Due to Tsunami we have been unable to get Trans" "Trans is on backorder" "Still waiting for Infiniti to release Trans" "Trans can come in any Day"

From Service Manager:
"I still don't know whats going on with the car exactly" " I asked my advisor to tell me" "He hasn't given me a full story"

From Consumer Affairs:
"Iam sorry sir but there might have been a miscommunication, NO PARTS ARE ON ORDER" "Waiting for my rep to call me back to give me an update" "8/19 - they are still diagnosing car" <--- WHAT AFTER a MONTH they are still Diagnosing?!? Whats it been doing sitting in the F******* Dealer!

I Call the dealer yesterday: I say " So have they Diagnosed the problem" Instead of "Is my transmission in?" I get "The engineer was here, he couldn't figure out whats wrong with car but he is speaking my tech and trying different things over the phone" "They think it might be software".

What is the problem with Swapping out the transmission and TCU at this point? I don't get it? I am so furious.
Old 08-23-2011, 01:25 PM
jayjay1122

Originally Posted by JGabucci
Blackfunk - I leased four cars through Kings. Bob Pearl refused to match a lease rate on my 09 Fx35 so I went to Legacy. It was a substantial difference per month. Kings now has refused to service ANY of my cars.
John, any thoughts on another dealer? I know you have already been put through the ringer on this and you have consumer affairs involved, but it sounds to me like you just want this all to be over and to just have your car back.

Infiniti of Massapequa has an experienced service department and Salerno-Duane in Denville NJ (far I know) has good service department also. My thinking here is that you tell consumer affairs that you have lost confidence in Legacy and that you would like to have your car flatbedded to another dealer with more seasoned Infiniti mechanics. It's worth a shot at least!!!

You can even phrase it (and you wouldn't be lying) that your desire here is to simply have your car back and working "as advertised" with the least amount of hassle for all involved while avoiding getting into it legally. Consumer Affair should look favorably on this as well as if a more experienced mechanic looks at it, it may ultimately save Infiniti money.

PS I THINK da mayor (from G35driver.com) is a member here now as well and he works at Infiniti of Massapequa and may be able to advise you on the situation.

Sorry to stick my nose in, and I hope it all works out for you!!
Old 08-23-2011, 01:51 PM
JGabucci

Originally Posted by jayjay1122
John, any thoughts on another dealer? I know you have already been put through the ringer on this and you have consumer affairs involved, but it sounds to me like you just want this all to be over and to just have your car back.

Infiniti of Massapequa has an experienced service department and Salerno-Duane in Denville NJ (far I know) has good service department also. My thinking here is that you tell consumer affairs that you have lost confidence in Legacy and that you would like to have your car flatbedded to another dealer with more seasoned Infiniti mechanics. It's worth a shot at least!!!

You can even phrase it (and you wouldn't be lying) that your desire here is to simply have your car back and working "as advertised" with the least amount of hassle for all involved while avoiding getting into it legally. Consumer Affair should look favorably on this as well as if a more experienced mechanic looks at it, it may ultimately save Infiniti money.

PS I THINK da mayor (from G35driver.com) is a member here now as well and he works at Infiniti of Massapequa and may be able to advise you on the situation.

Sorry to stick my nose in, and I hope it all works out for you!!
I may go that route. I am going to contact consumer affairs now and see if I can get the car towed out.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:33 PM
JGabucci

***update***

Originally Posted by kool_yaar
Any updates?
Dealer calls me and says the car have been reprogrammed with software and that the problem was fixed...

I go pickup my vehicle and drive it a quarter of a mile and guess what ladies and gents the car bucks, shutters and stalls again!!!!!!

I get it back to dealer the rpms don't even dip, it dies. Back into park. Start it up and goto drive into the dealers garage for the night pissed as ****, and I get even get the car to move! It instantly dies in reverse or drive..

There is more bs to report abt this such as the loaner I got, which wasn't what I dropped off and put a half a tank of premium in.. Motherfu***rs..
Old 08-25-2011, 12:26 AM
1BadAssG

Man oh man. I'm feeling your pain and frustration. You should just go and punch the engineer and the service manager. Those engineers, don't know ****, they depend on freaking codes and what the Japs over the phone tell them. My sisters 2011 Altima has more issues than yours so you should be lucky enough.

I hope they order you the tranny and replace it.
Old 08-28-2011, 12:26 AM
JGabucci

Originally Posted by bashirdur
Man oh man. I'm feeling your pain and frustration. You should just go and punch the engineer and the service manager. Those engineers, don't know ****, they depend on freaking codes and what the Japs over the phone tell them. My sisters 2011 Altima has more issues than yours so you should be lucky enough.

I hope they order you the tranny and replace it.
Looks Like a transmission will be in the car on Monday afternoon.

I hope this is the final chapter in this mess. I miss my car. I would like to enjoy the last few weeks of warm weather. I just hope the car is secure with all this bad weather.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:27 AM
VinnysInfiniti

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JGabucci
Looks Like a transmission will be in the car on Monday afternoon.

I hope this is the final chapter in this mess. I miss my car. I would like to enjoy the last few weeks of warm weather. I just hope the car is secure with all this bad weather.
Godbless I was without my car for almost 2 months starting from july I just got it back last Monday. It was a long and painful wait but Im so happy to be back in my G. Hopefully this hurricane doesnt mess stuff up for u
Old 08-29-2011, 08:25 PM
drivefaster

JGabucci, consider yourself very well taken care of, if you eventually get a new transmission in your situation. for the same symptoms, 2 dealers in my area tried to convince me it's normal, and that all the cars with the 7AT do the same. explaining that it's been designed like this, and praising the adaptive (or learning?) technology that they built in their software, is their defense. they went as far as telling me not to drive the car in DS because DS is only for manual shifting (i almost never do, but the dealer went crazy when he saw me switching to DS during a test drive), and also told me that my wife shouldnt drive the car because combining her driving style and my driving style may have a negative impact on the TCM. i personally think that all the dealers know already that they have a big problem with this transmission, and they would serve any BS until somebody would figure out how to fix it.

as a 25-year software professional (but despite that please take this as a purely personal opinion), my feeling is that the problem is indeed in the TCM rather than in the mechanics. it simply feels like whatever processor they're using in the TCM is too slow, and is sometimes overwhelmed with the amount of data they try to feed in. this results in delayed processing, or even temporary f-ups. i think they simply over-engineered it (just like they've done with the roof mechanism) - and this explains why they're taught to be proud and cocky about this piece of... work.

fwiw, a few weeks ago they applied an ITB i think they're called - practically re-flashed the TCU, to address, what they called, minor issues when shifting at low speed. since then, my car got stuck in gear, 5 times so far in neutral, and once in 2nd and once in 4th (last two when downshifting fast 2 steps manually). each time i had to turn off the engine and start it again to get rid of that awkward state. the dealer examined the fault codes after that, and they found no fault record, therefore they acted like nothing happened.

so JGabucci, if you get a new transmission, that's great, please let me know how that worked for you. also, if i were you, i would keep that lawyer's phone number close.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:32 PM
JGabucci

Originally Posted by drivefaster
JGabucci, consider yourself very well taken care of, if you eventually get a new transmission in your situation. for the same symptoms, 2 dealers in my area tried to convince me it's normal, and that all the cars with the 7AT do the same. explaining that it's been designed like this, and praising the adaptive (or learning?) technology that they built in their software, is their defense. they went as far as telling me not to drive the car in DS because DS is only for manual shifting (i almost never do, but the dealer went crazy when he saw me switching to DS during a test drive), and also told me that my wife shouldnt drive the car because combining her driving style and my driving style may have a negative impact on the TCM. i personally think that all the dealers know already that they have a big problem with this transmission, and they would serve any BS until somebody would figure out how to fix it.

as a 25-year software professional (but despite that please take this as a purely personal opinion), my feeling is that the problem is indeed in the TCM rather than in the mechanics. it simply feels like whatever processor they're using in the TCM is too slow, and is sometimes overwhelmed with the amount of data they try to feed in. this results in delayed processing, or even temporary f-ups. i think they simply over-engineered it (just like they've done with the roof mechanism) - and this explains why they're taught to be proud and cocky about this piece of... work.

fwiw, a few weeks ago they applied an ITB i think they're called - practically re-flashed the TCU, to address, what they called, minor issues when shifting at low speed. since then, my car got stuck in gear, 5 times so far in neutral, and once in 2nd and once in 4th (last two when downshifting fast 2 steps manually). each time i had to turn off the engine and start it again to get rid of that awkward state. the dealer examined the fault codes after that, and they found no fault record, therefore they acted like nothing happened.

so JGabucci, if you get a new transmission, that's great, please let me know how that worked for you. also, if i were you, i would keep that lawyer's phone number close.
Wow sounds like your getting shafted also... I am almost positive the torque converter was locked up. The car was not driveable in the condition it was in.

The new Trans feels a little "off" still but atleast I am not stalling when I come to a stop or put it into gear from park. It probably needs to break in some more.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:45 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I had the same thing and posted extensively on my G37xS 2k9...

After the latest tranny reflash -- knock on wood -- never happened again -- although it only happened twice, both times in cold weather, if that even matters.

The dealership found no codes and could not reproduce it and had NO IDEA.

Best of luck.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:20 AM
cyberBeach

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I drive in DS yet auto a fair amount because in normal D, from standing at a stop sign, then hitting the gas, there's a pause before acceleration kicks in, and the transition is not smooth, can bounce your head around instead of just pinning you back.

Maybe it's important to hit the gas hard from stop and not ease in to it, so that the car learns that when you come off a full stop you want a full go.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:51 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
Gess,, I have had no real issue with my tranny, Untill recently when I come to a complete stop(2-1 Downshift) if I hit the gas to quick the tranny feels like its not in first yet( Free spins for a second then pops into gear.. Did yours start doing this at first or did it just start stalling right away?

Quick Reply: 7AT Problems.. FML