Site Feedback & Suggestions For posting feedback and suggestions regarding MyG37.com

Unfair Thread Move by Mod

Old 05-29-2018, 06:54 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Unfair Thread Move by Mod

I feel like slartibartfast is being unfair. I made a thread asking about height in the coupe section. I have a coupe and am very tall for my car. I think it's interesting finding out how tall other coupe owners are. Coupe/sedan accommodate height differently.

I even made my thread again and wrote defended why it should be in the coupe section as it was not off topic to coupes, only to have that thread closed. I still don't know how I was in the wrong on that one.

Furthermore one age thread got removed and the other one didn't. Why is that? Two age threads right next to each other but only one was removed. I know slartibartfast knows the age 40+ thread exists because he's posted in it.

Next replacement car thread is always on first page of sedan section. Isn't talking about another brand car, off topic? Isn't changing fluids a technical issue?

A lot of cherry picking going on. I've had thread/posts removed before and I was fine with those because they were fair. I do not feel this one was fair. I feel like I was discriminated against.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:48 PM
hurleyguys

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
ok i read your thread and i think i am gonna side on Barts side on this one.

In your thread basically just states "how tall is everyone?"

and really dont explain your self. If you had started out your thread like

"i am really tall, have a coupe and have to sit with my head cocked to one side. is there a fix for this? and does any one else have this problem? what is everyones height? do you have issues with it?"

then i would have sided with you. the way you stated your thread it was more of asking everyone their height without making it really pertain to anything.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:04 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,940 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I'll be the first to admit there's inconsistencies when moving threads and some that haven't been moved seem to keep getting traction so they're left as-is.

Unfortunately there's not a cut and dry rule for moving threads so it may seem unfair at times, but I can say w/ complete certainty that slartibartfast wasn't singling you out. A thread titled "coupe headroom issues" would be a better way to start FWIW.
Old 05-30-2018, 09:23 AM
Bostonreefer

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
I`m 6 1 and very comfortable
Old 05-30-2018, 02:07 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Everyone is telling me how my thread could have been "MORE" relevant to being a tall problem. But no one has yet told me how the topic of my thread was "NOT" relevant to coupe section. Why does it need to address a problem? What if I'm just BSing around and was curious about the average height of everyone with coupes?

Let's put it this way, should I ask about coupe owner height in the coupe section or the off topic section?

Originally Posted by hurleyguys
ok i read your thread and i think i am gonna side on Barts side on this one.

In your thread basically just states "how tall is everyone?"

and really dont explain your self. If you had started out your thread like

"i am really tall, have a coupe and have to sit with my head cocked to one side. is there a fix for this? and does any one else have this problem? what is everyones height? do you have issues with it?"

then i would have sided with you. the way you stated your thread it was more of asking everyone their height without making it really pertain to anything.
I don't understand why I need to address the problem of being tall in a coupe.

What if I were simply curious about the height of all coupe owners? The mix of tall vs short drivers with coupes.

I was reading the over 40 thread and started wondering how tall everyone was.

I'm 6'4 and sit with my neck crooked and part of my head in the sun roof housing.

Mod, please don't remove my thread. My question is directed at coupe owners as I am also a coupe owner. Coupe/sedan accommodate different headroom. I was not aware I needed to specify I was asking coupe owners since I was posting in the coupe section.
I feel my topic is much more relevant to coupes than some others on the front page, like about shift ***** or age. At least height is relevant to coupes as there is different head room vs sedans. Like I wrote in my quoted text, I didn't know I had to specify I was asking the coupe community when I post in the coupe section. Isn't that kind of redundant?

Originally Posted by blnewt
I'll be the first to admit there's inconsistencies when moving threads and some that haven't been moved seem to keep getting traction so they're left as-is.

Unfortunately there's not a cut and dry rule for moving threads so it may seem unfair at times, but I can say w/ complete certainty that slartibartfast wasn't singling you out. A thread titled "coupe headroom issues" would be a better way to start FWIW.

I just want the age 40 and age 30 thread explained to me. Two threads right next to each other about the same topic just different age groups. It can only be described as discrimination if one is allowed and the other not. This actually bothers me much more than my post being removed.

It's the principle of this matter. Either allow both or remove both.
Old 05-30-2018, 02:22 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I usually don't move threads that were created before I became a mod late last year. That would include the age 40 thread. In addition, I'm not sure how robust the site software is regarding moving old threads with a lot of posts, so I err on the side of caution. I'm not going to be THAT GUY who killed a website.

As blnewt noted, if you create a thread specifically asking for coupe owner height, it'll stay in the coupe forum. As your first post did not, you're going to get sedan owners chiming in and that's not what you're after.
Old 05-30-2018, 05:54 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
To be appointed as a moderator, one has to be a long term valued member of this community who has contributed a lot of value to the the forum and demonstrated maturity and leadership. It is not something that is done without consideration and thought. That being said, I trust the judgement of those moderators to do what’s best for this community.

Your thread as it is posted is not relevant to G37 coupes. How tall a person is (without some relevant context) is not a Coupe forum thread. You could ask whether coupe owners are PC or Mac people, Xbox or PS, Coke or Pepsi. Guess what? Those aren’t Coupe forum threads either! It’s an Off Topic thread.

Yes, there are a number of threads that could or should be moved. The staff doesn’t necessarily get to all of them. And it’s a judgment call on some. Why you’re so hurt and offended and feel personally discriminated against because of it being moved is beyond my comprehension. But I agree with and support the moving of it.

If you feel there are other threads that need to be moved, feel free to click the “Report Post” button in the lower left corner of the first post in the thread and explain why it needs to be moved. If the staff agrees it will be moved.

I hope this helps you to understand and makes you feel better about it.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:20 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

Received 276 Likes on 238 Posts
so this was based on the thread title not the content of the thread?
Old 05-30-2018, 09:37 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by saywat?
No. Did you read the thread? Do that and answer your own question.
The following users liked this post:
r2dmax (05-31-2018)
Old 05-30-2018, 10:00 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

i looked at the closed thread. it mentions the coupe. but did it not originally?
Old 05-31-2018, 09:56 AM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
@Kroy

Hurleyguys and BLNewt gave advice on how to make it stand which allows you to use the power of reasoning to deduce why the thread you made did not stay. You've properly used this post to draw attention to your reason and concern. It's been addressed.
I've been on the forum on the low side of 2 years and Slartibartfast BLNewt and Black Betty have all been fair, considerate and very helpful. I don't know them personally so I have no bias either way.

My suggestion is to post a new thread in the coupe section based on the direction given and it should be left alone
Old 06-01-2018, 04:57 PM
kroy
Registered Member

Originally Posted by slartibartfast
I usually don't move threads that were created before I became a mod late last year. That would include the age 40 thread. In addition, I'm not sure how robust the site software is regarding moving old threads with a lot of posts, so I err on the side of caution. I'm not going to be THAT GUY who killed a website.

As blnewt noted, if you create a thread specifically asking for coupe owner height, it'll stay in the coupe forum. As your first post did not, you're going to get sedan owners chiming in and that's not what you're after.
Thank you for your response and explanation of why you didn't move the other 40 year old thread.

I do feel like I specifically addressed coupe owners in my 2nd post.

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Your thread as it is posted is not relevant to G37 coupes. How tall a person is (without some relevant context) is not a Coupe forum thread. You could ask whether coupe owners are PC or Mac people, Xbox or PS, Coke or Pepsi. Guess what? Those aren’t Coupe forum threads either! It’s an Off Topic thread.

Yes, there are a number of threads that could or should be moved. The staff doesn’t necessarily get to all of them. And it’s a judgment call on some. Why you’re so hurt and offended and feel personally discriminated against because of it being moved is beyond my comprehension. But I agree with and support the moving of it.

If you feel there are other threads that need to be moved, feel free to click the “Report Post” button in the lower left corner of the first post in the thread and explain why it needs to be moved. If the staff agrees it will be moved.

I hope this helps you to understand and makes you feel better about it.
The thing is, I did include in my post why I thought my post was relevant to coupes. If you check my closed thread in the coupe section, you will see this message.

Mod, please don't remove my thread. My question is directed at coupe owners as I am also a coupe owner. Coupe/sedan accommodate different headroom. I was not aware I needed to specify I was asking coupe owners since I was posting in the coupe section.
Why I felt offended? It's mainly because the under 30 year old thread was moved but the over 40 year old thread was allowed to stay. Without Bart's explanation of why he didn't move it (because thread was created before his time as mod), I could only assume discrimination.

That's still what I feel like happened.

i looked at the closed thread. it mentions the coupe. but did it not originally?
Yeah, I did include why I thought it should stay in the coupe section.

Originally Posted by r2dmax
@Kroy

Hurleyguys and BLNewt gave advice on how to make it stand which allows you to use the power of reasoning to deduce why the thread you made did not stay. You've properly used this post to draw attention to your reason and concern. It's been addressed.
I've been on the forum on the low side of 2 years and Slartibartfast BLNewt and Black Betty have all been fair, considerate and very helpful. I don't know them personally so I have no bias either way.

My suggestion is to post a new thread in the coupe section based on the direction given and it should be left alone
In short, I did do what you suggested. Let me walk you through the sequence of events.

1. I create thread in coupe section and it gets moved to off topic.

2. I create the thread for the 2nd time in coupe section with the following added:

3. Bart closed my thread in coupe section and told me to use the one in off topic.
Old 06-01-2018, 05:01 PM
saywat?
Registered Member

lol funny
Old 06-01-2018, 05:57 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 589 Likes on 492 Posts
Truth... Life isn't fair...