Michelin Pilot Sport 4S

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2017, 09:50 PM
Sig6MT
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Lego_Maniac
Tire Rack was $1026 shipped.

This is my 3rd set of PSS. Tire Rack has been the most expensive each time.
You certainty have a lot of experience with these tires. Can you Pls share how many miles you got per set on average?

Thx
Old 03-15-2017, 06:40 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Sig6MT
You certainty have a lot of experience with these tires. Can you Pls share how many miles you got per set on average?

Thx
I purchased the first set at Costco in 225/50/18 and 245/45/18 OEM Sedan sizes. They lasted ~12,000 miles.

I purchased the second set from Discount Tire Direct after upgrading to coupe 19"s in 245/40 and 275/35 sizes. I'm going to get ~14,000 miles out of these. I'm attributing the longer life of the 19"s to the increased traction/reduced tendency to spin under heavy throttle

I got 10,000 miles out of the stock RE050A tires, and replaced those with Potenza S04s, which also lasted around 10,000.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:30 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,606 Likes on 3,449 Posts
^^^
FWIW, my experience with RE050A and PSS has been pretty much the same.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:34 AM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
We're talking 300 treadwear tires in staggered sizes. They're going to last between 10-15,000 depending on driving habits, alignment, and tire pressure.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:55 AM
zer099
Premier Member

Received 91 Likes on 63 Posts
Im pushing almost 17000 on my pss before my whiteline endlink decided to fail and some how become one with the rear tire when I ran over it. That said the tires were near the end of their life and I had some weird inner edge wear. Im getting some ps4s next week (hopefully after these sub 30 degree days). I will chime back in once I get some feedback formed on them compared to the pss.
Old 03-15-2017, 11:55 AM
RadioFlyer
Registered Member

Received 75 Likes on 50 Posts
Update at around 500 miles: I had some time to give the tires a run in the canyons last night, and am happy to report that what they are saying is true - they're just like the PSS, but MORE. As I said, they're still a little squirmy, but the limits are higher. It's always a little hairy working up to a tire's limit when you're used to a lower limit, especially on public roads, but I'll say that I took turns at about the same speeds I used to start to get a little bit of tire noise, and there was nothing. They just held. For accelerating they held the power through first and second gears. I'm sure I could roast them if I actually launched from a higher RPM, but just rolling into first, I used to spin at around 5K in first and through second. Now, it just rips through the gears. That by itself makes these tires worth it - to be able to actually use the lower gears! It makes me excited all over again to have a supercharger!

Overall, believe the hype. They're just like a PSS but more. Which is amazing because they stick like an older R-Comp, but ride and wear like an normal summer tire. Yes, they're pricey but worth it if you actually need a tire that can hold under hard cornering or putting down a lot of power. Those were my priorities, and I'm happy with them. We'll see how long they last. I'll be sure to update this thread as I put more mileage on them.
Old 04-10-2017, 11:01 PM
Yellafella
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine came in as well and I had them mounted today
The following users liked this post:
socketz67 (10-14-2017)
Old 04-10-2017, 11:03 PM
Yellafella
Registered Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by RadioFlyer
Update at around 500 miles: I had some time to give the tires a run in the canyons last night, and am happy to report that what they are saying is true - they're just like the PSS, but MORE. As I said, they're still a little squirmy, but the limits are higher. It's always a little hairy working up to a tire's limit when you're used to a lower limit, especially on public roads, but I'll say that I took turns at about the same speeds I used to start to get a little bit of tire noise, and there was nothing. They just held. For accelerating they held the power through first and second gears. I'm sure I could roast them if I actually launched from a higher RPM, but just rolling into first, I used to spin at around 5K in first and through second. Now, it just rips through the gears. That by itself makes these tires worth it - to be able to actually use the lower gears! It makes me excited all over again to have a supercharger!

Overall, believe the hype. They're just like a PSS but more. Which is amazing because they stick like an older R-Comp, but ride and wear like an normal summer tire. Yes, they're pricey but worth it if you actually need a tire that can hold under hard cornering or putting down a lot of power. Those were my priorities, and I'm happy with them. We'll see how long they last. I'll be sure to update this thread as I put more mileage on them.
I totally agree with everything you said. I'm also used to the wheelspin at 5k in 1st and 2nd, but these grip through the whole thing. Very happy with them so far
Old 05-10-2017, 03:06 PM
taste1h

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can anyone comment on if the PS4S run wider than a PSS in the same size? I rub slightly on large bumps in the rear with 285/30/20 + 10mm spacer. Looking to switch only the rears to PS4S...wondering if it will rub more or less.

Also, mixing the PSS fronts, with PS4S rears....any concerns? My understanding is they are in the same speed rating.
Old 05-11-2017, 01:08 PM
DJMAC

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Love the PS4, swapped out my Hankook V12 in the back for them. Substantially reduced wheel hop and don't break loose as easy.

Took them to the track and felt more stable. I'm running 285/30/20 and it doesn't rub.

Last edited by DJMAC; 05-11-2017 at 01:08 PM. Reason: cant spell
Old 05-12-2017, 05:20 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
V12 have a softer sidewall so you just run few more lbs of ap
Old 05-12-2017, 11:14 AM
Teddy Greyson
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Surfnazi
V12 have a softer sidewall so you just run few more lbs of ap
Thats a dumb idea, defeats the purpose of running a performance tire. Adding more air pressure will lessen surface contact area. If you want stiffer sidewalls get a different tire.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:38 AM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Teddy Greyson
Thats a dumb idea, defeats the purpose of running a performance tire. Adding more air pressure will lessen surface contact area. If you want stiffer sidewalls get a different tire.
You cant make that blanket statement about tires and it's certainly not true across the board. Some manufacturers suggest higher pressures, some lower and it often depends on belt construction and sidewalk construction along with track conditions and temp. As a matter of fact, the PSS has a softer sidewalk than the stick bridgestones and it allows for slightly higher tire pressures and less deformation under load.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:43 PM
Teddy Greyson
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ape Factory
You cant make that blanket statement about tires and it's certainly not true across the board. Some manufacturers suggest higher pressures, some lower and it often depends on belt construction and sidewalk construction along with track conditions and temp. As a matter of fact, the PSS has a softer sidewalk than the stick bridgestones and it allows for slightly higher tire pressures and less deformation under load.
You're not wrong. However, Surfnazi was suggesting that DJMAC over inflate the tires for a stiffer sidewall. If you go above the manufacturers recommendation you cannot expect the same performance standard.
Old 05-12-2017, 02:58 PM
Ape Factory
Registered Member

Received 322 Likes on 231 Posts
Originally Posted by Teddy Greyson
You're not wrong. However, Surfnazi was suggesting that DJMAC over inflate the tires for a stiffer sidewall. If you go above the manufacturers recommendation you cannot expect the same performance standard.
...assuming a few more psi is higher than they recommend. We don't know what the OP was running nor the recommended pressure. But I do get your point, can be a bit more complicated however and it's not aleleays the sidewall creating movement.