Curb Rash

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 02:15 AM
rnguyenn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Curb Rash

I have an 08 coupe and have curb rash on my rims. I bought the car used and most of it came from the previous owner. I have read the DIY threads but i do not trust myself doing it. I was hoping anyone knows someone who can do it for a fair price. I will try to post pictures as soon as possible.

I'm located in Biloxi, MS and frequently go to New Orleans, LA.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2016, 08:27 AM
VenomGT9
Registered Member

Received 226 Likes on 195 Posts
Dude it's really not that hard, just takes a little patience.
Prep/sanding is the key to a solid job
Old 10-13-2016, 09:02 AM
ChinkyChoy
Premier Member

Received 216 Likes on 172 Posts
sell the wheels or go to a rim repair shop should be like $25-$50 a wheel depending on how bad they are
Old 10-13-2016, 09:28 AM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by VenomGT9
Dude it's really not that hard, just takes a little patience.
Prep/sanding is the key to a solid job
^^ +1. I got a C in art class back in elementary school but I think the results of my DIY were above average.
Follow the process and take your time. It feels much more satisfying afterwards!
Old 10-14-2016, 02:25 AM
rnguyenn

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the encouragement, I normally do everything myself but one of the rims is badly scratched. Here is the only pic i have right now and it has the badly damaged one in it(passenger rear.) I will post more when i can. If yall think the damage is fixable from the DIY threads, i will definitely give it a shot. I just don't want to do more harm than good.
Attached Thumbnails Curb Rash-img_9971.jpg  
Old 10-14-2016, 08:48 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Diggin' the palm trees G/L w/ your fix.
Old 10-14-2016, 09:52 AM
ajmr2
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Had the same problem, those 19" profiles are wicked in real world conditions, almost impossible to avoid scraping. If you're at or near tire replacement time, seriously consider a tire with some rim protection built in. There are several choices, but do your research, and I'd mount a tire to look at before you buy them.

Here's my story, lifted from the TireRack web site after I purchased them a few months ago. Mine are BFG G Force Comp-2 A/S...

I bought a 2008 Infiniti G37S a couple months ago. Love it! It needed new tires to pass MD inspection, so the dealership provided a set of Yok Advan Sport A/S for no additional charge, and they were fine. Unfortunately, with these 19" wheels, the very low aspect ratio looked like trouble in real life situations, since the rims stuck out beyond the sidewall, so I researched tires with some rim protection. As always, Tire Rack had great reviews on several A/S tires which would fit, and I settled on these BFGs (I sold the Yoks). Much to my surprise, they made a noticeable improvement even over the new Yoks. Comfortable, excellent dry traction and handling, reasonably quiet for such an aggressive tread pattern, and they have proven their weight in gold with all the recent endless rain around DC. I have the privilege of using my car as a pace car for various road races up at Summit Point Raceway. When the track is wet, it's like ice even at low speeds, from all the race cars tearing around at speed. Well, I was up there recently and it was pouring, and you don't want to spin out in front of a race group on the pace lap, just sayin. These tires were fantastic in terrible conditions and gave me confidence. Epilogue: Once the track dried, we ran some hot laps for a charity event. I'm not saying that these are track tires in any way, but I pushed it pretty hard for a good 10 laps and they were up to the task. Good traction/feedback in the corners, straight and true on the straights, and good feel and performance in the braking zones. In all driving conditions and a few hot laps, these BFGs are great, and as a bonus, my rims are well protected from curb rash!

Old 10-14-2016, 12:03 PM
mrperfect229
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I was in the same situation. I got brand new rims put on my G and ended up getting curb rash in a McDonald's drive thru (I don't eat McDonald's anymore). I ended up getting the rash fixed, but there were two slight problems. Infiniti doesn't release the color code for the rims so repair shops have to get as close as they can, well that's what ever rim repair shop in the Maryland area told me. The second problem, well for me, is it looks pretty good but it's a little harder to keep the repaired area clean. I recently scratched up another one and just said forget it! I'm not fixing it. It happens.
Old 10-14-2016, 12:31 PM
ajmr2
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with you. The damage has been done and even the best tires won't totally prevent curb rash. I really don't want to make the repairs and then just do it again. haha
Old 10-15-2016, 01:26 AM
Sig6MT
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by ajmr2
I agree with you. The damage has been done and even the best tires won't totally prevent curb rash. I really don't want to make the repairs and then just do it again. haha

I am on same boat as you guys and will consider the tires when I need to replace mine

Do any of you have any experience with rim guards like alloygator? My concern is that they come off in highway and damage the body paint job
The following users liked this post:
RANDY350Z (05-29-2018)