G37 Sedan

Black door handles

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2016, 01:22 PM
MarkyMark97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black door handles

Just painted them black, i love it lmk what you think. Should i keep it black white and chrome or just go black and white? Got some hks pipes comin this week
Old 09-13-2016, 01:34 PM
j50ny
Premier Member

Received 152 Likes on 140 Posts
I personally don't like it. I think the handles would look better body colored and the chrome window trim should be black. Just my .02!

At the end of the day, as long as you like it, that's all that matters. Dare to be different is my motto!
Old 09-13-2016, 01:37 PM
MarkyMark97

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by j50ny
I personally don't like it. I think the handles would look better body colored and the chrome window trim should be black. Just my .02!

At the end of the day, as long as you like it, that's all that matters. Dare to be different is my motto!
Well said, thanks for the reply!
Old 09-13-2016, 02:06 PM
Mattyem
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Vynal wrap the roof black and black out all the chrome and it'll look fly as f***
Old 09-13-2016, 02:57 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
^^^ agreed. I've wrapped my grill and window trim already with 15% tint all around. once I do my roof I'm really thinking of doing the same thing.
Old 09-13-2016, 02:57 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,607 Likes on 3,450 Posts
I've never seen that done before. Typically, door handles are painted body color on the upscale option in a car model. So to go the other direction says to the uninitiated that you have a base model whatever. To me, personally, it says the owner of that car desperately wants to mod his G without spending any money, except for a can of plastidip and a little vinyl wrap.

I don't like it, OP. It cheapens the car.

You asked for opinions, so there's one with an explanation.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rochester:
sharkey (09-14-2016), VenomGT9 (09-13-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 05:21 PM
iCrap
Registered Member

Received 610 Likes on 452 Posts
Agreed... look at the base model of any honda / toyota and you'll see it has plastic unpainted handles, then look at the highest trim and they are body colored. So you just made your car look like a cheap base model car.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:40 PM
2011-G
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I think you need to vinyl wrap your roof to match the door handles.. Dont look at the bits and pieces.... Look at the final product when it's ready..

If you don't like it , you can always remove it.. BTW it does look good without the lettering!!! I'm definitely debadging mine once I start on the exterior.
Old 09-13-2016, 05:54 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
I agree with adding other black panels to add to the theme (roof, grilles, etc.) so the handles don't look like cheap plastic on other cars. I have black handles only because wrapping them is a pain and it matched well with my theme

Old 09-13-2016, 05:58 PM
2011-G
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
I'd love to vinyl wrap my car but not sure if I can do it myself. Where are you located and how much would it run me to wrap a G sedan?

Sorry for hacking this post

I'm in Texas
Old 09-13-2016, 07:00 PM
Mattyem
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by kickintheglass
I agree with adding other black panels to add to the theme (roof, grilles, etc.) so the handles don't look like cheap plastic on other cars. I have black handles only because wrapping them is a pain and it matched well with my theme

Ahhhh so this is the drift monster eh???
Old 09-13-2016, 07:03 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,607 Likes on 3,450 Posts
Originally Posted by kickintheglass

And yet... here's a gloss-black door handle that look right and proper. Why is that?
  • The color of the car.
  • Only one handle to a side.
  • The extension to the end of the door line as trim.
  • Dark tinted window without any chrome.
  • The handle cut-out overlay.

Very nice, kickintheglass. If Subaru were to make a proper G37 Coupe, this would be it.
The following users liked this post:
kickintheglass (09-14-2016)
Old 09-13-2016, 08:11 PM
ETrev
Premier Member

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
As the only visible mods on an otherwise completely stock car, I feel that the few things that you've changed to black seem out of place. Or maybe I should say out of order. Do wheels, emblems, window trim, grille, rear valence, or tail lights in black first. Doing one of these will start to make it look like a car with a theme going for it, rather than a fully stock car with a few little accents that have been plasti-dipped.

Also, the spoiler you have combined with the stock chrome lip in black doesn't look right to me. If removing it and painting it to match body color isn't an option, then I think that the original chrome would look better than black on your white car.

Another thing to think about. Some people will tell you that "black is black," but it's definitely not. Put some thought into whether you use, gloss, satin, or matte black for your parts. Maybe use a combination. The differences will be profound on how it looks.
I've always thought that white cars that go with all matte black accents look like ugly Oreo cookies, even if they're very nice cars.

All just opinions though. Do what you like, and make the car yours
Old 09-13-2016, 08:33 PM
staskz
Registered Member

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
i've seen it painted in gloss black on a few tastefully modded Gs and it looks nice. on a stock car...no
Old 09-13-2016, 09:50 PM
qmantran
Registered Member

Received 181 Likes on 141 Posts

The Lexus line-up can pull it off very well.

Your stock base model G37 looks out of place with black door handles. Not tastefully done. I believe it will flow better once you have other supporting aesthetic modifications like a drop, vinyled roof overlay, rear diffuser, wheels, etc.

Once you have all that done than it might flow well together. It might not. Really depends on how you execute the other things I listed above.

I cringe every time I drive and see another G with that wing spoiler on the trunk above the chrome trim. It looks so awful and out of place.

Quick Reply: Black door handles