Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Uprev vs Ecutek and where?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2016, 11:11 AM
kavcheung
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Uprev vs Ecutek and where?

Whats up guys,

I plan to get either uprev or ecutek tune in the near future but can't decide on which one and which tuner to go with. Lately it seems like Ecutek is the way to go and I was planning on going to ZCG but they don't deal with Ecutek.

What do you guys have and where did you go?

Thanks.
Old 02-01-2016, 02:11 PM
JUMBO PALACE
Registered Member

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
Bumping for answers. Planning on RHFC and a tune come spring time and I have no experience with tunes.
Old 02-01-2016, 03:33 PM
evil-G-nius
Registered Member

Received 395 Likes on 238 Posts
Depends on where you are. I know the Sonoma Raceway has Uprev licenses. I guess price would be the next factor, some places over charge like crazy. I went to a place down not too far from where I live and it was gonna be like $1500 bucks for the license/install and 3 dyno runs no tune. The tune was extra dyno time and they didnt even offer custom maps. So look into all of that as well
Old 02-01-2016, 05:17 PM
hooey_b

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Go with Ecutek. They have the true values for the VVEL, so you'll be able to advance/retard intake cams to some certain degree.

also, boost by gear...true 2 step launch, flex fuel tuning based on ethanol content...those are just only some of the distinguishing features that I can remember over UpRev.

I own a 2008 which is unsupported by Ecutek, but I'm going to make it work anyways.

Also, pricing on average (from what I've seen) is aroudn $800 to $850 for the RaceROM tune. Dynotronics, down in TX, specializes in tuning, so they can offer a huge discount on their e-tune service ($660 RaceROM tune, includes the Tuning suite kit, license, and unlimited revisions to update from Ecutek yearly.
Old 03-15-2016, 04:44 AM
GNTLMN_Z
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
To the OP, not sure if you tuned already, but ZCG does ECUtek now. I'm going to be getting an ECUtek tune at ZCG once I finish all my bolt-ons.
Old 03-16-2016, 02:12 AM
bigc

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
+1, I stopped by ZCG last week and Rob has a lot of positive things to say about Ecutek.
Old 03-16-2016, 03:52 AM
GNTLMN_Z
Registered Member

Rob is a great guy, super patient and willing to answer endless questions before gaining your business. But yeah, he says ECUtek blows UPREV away. I'm going to tune with ECUtek once I get my ART pipes and F.I. CBE and then retune once I get my supercharger installed by Rob. But this will all be well into the future seeing as how F.I. is terribly backed up.

Trending Topics

Old 03-16-2016, 05:36 PM
kavcheung
Registered Member

Nice! Looks like I got the answer I'm looking for. Just order my FI RHFC last week too. Wish ecutek came with a handheld device like the Cobb AP so I can reflash back to stock maps before I bring it into the dealer (still have the maintenance package) I know I can get their cable and use a laptap but then means I need a laptop.

Thanks for all the great answers.
Old 05-18-2016, 11:17 PM
kavcheung
Registered Member

I have an appointment setup with Rob at ZCG next month but during our emails he suggested uprev (if i plan to stay NA) he's a pretty busy man so I'll just go with what he says when I see him in person. Ecutek may be better but if he suggest uprev and is more comfortable using that software then so be it.

Thanks guys
Old 05-19-2016, 02:46 AM
GNTLMN_Z
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kavcheung
I have an appointment setup with Rob at ZCG next month but during our emails he suggested uprev (if i plan to stay NA) he's a pretty busy man so I'll just go with what he says when I see him in person. Ecutek may be better but if he suggest uprev and is more comfortable using that software then so be it.

Thanks guys
That's odd. In my very lengthy email exchanges with Rob he seemed to be really impressed by ECUtek. I'm just waiting for my exhaust to get in so he can install it. After that, I'll have him tune with ECUtek. And once I supercharge, we can just retune!
Old 05-19-2016, 06:52 PM
kavcheung
Registered Member

Originally Posted by GNTLMN_Z
That's odd. In my very lengthy email exchanges with Rob he seemed to be really impressed by ECUtek. I'm just waiting for my exhaust to get in so he can install it. After that, I'll have him tune with ECUtek. And once I supercharge, we can just retune!

Sounds awesome man, im excited for you.

I told Rob that I still have factory warranty and would like the option of flashing back to stock if I ever needed to bring it back to the dealer for any problems. Just trying to avoid jumping through hoops with them. I quote "if your car is going to stay NA I would use the UPREV software. it works well $____ out the door"

I actually just emailed him this morning to remind him what I needed done, install cats and a tune. I told him I haven't decided which software yet either. We'll see what the price difference is and which one he leans towards. Will update!
Old 05-19-2016, 10:24 PM
GNTLMN_Z
Registered Member

Originally Posted by kavcheung
Sounds awesome man, im excited for you.

I told Rob that I still have factory warranty and would like the option of flashing back to stock if I ever needed to bring it back to the dealer for any problems. Just trying to avoid jumping through hoops with them. I quote "if your car is going to stay NA I would use the UPREV software. it works well $____ out the door"

I actually just emailed him this morning to remind him what I needed done, install cats and a tune. I told him I haven't decided which software yet either. We'll see what the price difference is and which one he leans towards. Will update!
What cats are you going with? And what other mods do you have?
Old 05-20-2016, 12:39 PM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
My car was re-tuned by ZCG after I moved out from the East coast to the Bay Area. I have Uprev currently. I talked to Rob recently as well and he wants me to come back down to see if he can adjust my tune a bit since there were a few things I wanted to straighten out.

To kavcheung's point regarding the flashing back to stock, I remember reading somewhere that with ECUtek you can't reflash back to stock.
Old 05-20-2016, 03:56 PM
GNTLMN_Z
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Choman
My car was re-tuned by ZCG after I moved out from the East coast to the Bay Area. I have Uprev currently. I talked to Rob recently as well and he wants me to come back down to see if he can adjust my tune a bit since there were a few things I wanted to straighten out.

To kavcheung's point regarding the flashing back to stock, I remember reading somewhere that with ECUtek you can't reflash back to stock.
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that you can flash back to stock with ECUtek just like most other tunes. The only thing is that ECUtek locks the license into the ECU. But a dealership wouldn't have the tools to know if it had the ECUtek license or not; they would just see a stock ECU for any updates or flashing they required. After that, you could easily reflash your ECUtek tune.
Old 05-21-2016, 02:31 AM
kavcheung
Registered Member

I'm getting FI RHFC installed, I've also heard something about Ecutek locking the ecu so one one but them can touch it. Maybe the tuner just needs to leave it unlocked for accessibility? This is something I will ask Rob about. Pricing does factor in my decision, this is my DD, I don't track the car or anything so I'm sure Uprev will be an improvement.

I'll update with which software I go with and why.

Quick Reply: Uprev vs Ecutek and where?