Northern California San Francisco, Oakland, Sacramento, San Jose, Pleasanton, etc.

Uprev vs Ecutek and where?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2016, 03:44 AM
GNTLMN_Z
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by kavcheung
I'm getting FI RHFC installed, I've also heard something about Ecutek locking the ecu so one one but them can touch it. Maybe the tuner just needs to leave it unlocked for accessibility? This is something I will ask Rob about. Pricing does factor in my decision, this is my DD, I don't track the car or anything so I'm sure Uprev will be an improvement.

I'll update with which software I go with and why.
Nice. I'm actually going with MD ART pipes but a FI exhaust.
You are right that ECUtek locks your ECU. However, all that has to be done is to have your tuner (or yourself with the help of a ECUtek dongle, cable and computer) flash back to stock. Now your ECU is back to OEM specs and the dealer will have no idea that it was tuned.
Old 05-23-2016, 07:44 PM
Choman
Registered Member

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts
That's good to hear for ECUtek, guess I understood it wrong.

GNTLMN_Z - how do you like your STS? I assume that is what TWM is in your sig?
Old 05-23-2016, 08:07 PM
GNTLMN_Z
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Choman
That's good to hear for ECUtek, guess I understood it wrong.

GNTLMN_Z - how do you like your STS? I assume that is what TWM is in your sig?
You assume correctly sir. I absolutely LOVE it. The factory shifter is TOO vague. The short shifter has extremely short throws and is just the right amount of notch-y. It does require more force to engage gears but I like that. If and when you install; MAKE SURE YOU USE A TORQUE WRENCH when connecting the shifter to your linkage under the car. I OVER torqued it and it was too tight and redline shifts caused a grinding issue. I then used a torque wrench to spec and it was fine. Over time it gets better as well!
Old 06-08-2016, 10:11 PM
kavcheung
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Alright fellas, just had my FI RHFC installed with a tune today from Rob and ZCG. I went with Uprev because its what Rob suggested and I'm guessing felt more comfortable with. He said he's never tuned a NA G37 before and would need the whole day to play with it. He wasn't pushing anything but he did seem like he was leaning towards Uprev for me at least. He also wasn't sure about the pricing with Ecutek because he hasn't done it on NA G37

Rob told me with Ecutek I cannot personally flash my car back to stock and that he would have to do it himself. Uprev with the cable and laptop you can. He also told me if Ecutek is on the ECU and the dealer writes over the license from Ecutek will be erased as well...

Anyways I Rob is the professional and I trust his judgement. He told me Uprev so Uprev it is! Not like Uprev is a bad product and I should stay away from them or anything.

2012 G37 IPL with Stillen Gen 3's and FI RHFC and UjpRev tune
Old 06-10-2016, 06:41 PM
used2xb
Registered Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
@Kavcheung, is that baseline completely stock? I'm just wondering, cuz I'm comparing with my 2011 IPL dyno from ZCG - I had Stillen Gen3's and the uprev tune, but no FI RHFCs. I'm trying to see if I can tease out the difference the FI RHFCs made.

You might be curious too: https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...en-3-tune.html
Old 06-10-2016, 06:46 PM
kavcheung
Registered Member

Originally Posted by used2xb
@Kavcheung, is that baseline completely stock? I'm just wondering, cuz I'm comparing with my 2011 IPL dyno from ZCG - I had Stillen Gen3's and the uprev tune, but no FI RHFCs. I'm trying to see if I can tease out the difference the FI RHFCs made.

You might be curious too: https://www.myg37.com/forums/engine-...en-3-tune.html

I've seen your post and wanted higher numbers lol that baseline is NOT stock, its with the Stillen Gen 3's that was installed a while ago. So I would say baseline is 297 with Stillen and NO tune. 314 with FI RHFC and tune.

I know dyno numbers bounce up and down its just a very close estimate. I plan to do another dyno in the near future for fun just to see.
Old 06-10-2016, 06:57 PM
used2xb
Registered Member

Ah, cool so not quite an apples to apples comparison. I assume you kept the IPL exhaust? What's your opinion on the sound difference?
Old 06-10-2016, 07:02 PM
kavcheung
Registered Member

If it makes you feel any better I spent money on the FI RHFC just to have 4 more hp than you...which doesn't make me feel good at all lol.

Yup IPL exhaust still on, not planning on switching out the exhaust or anything since the IPL exhaust is true dual already anyways. Sound difference IMO is minimal which is what I wanted, I didn't want something that would sound cool the first few months then get tired of hearing it. Driving back from Z car to SF I couldn't even tell it was there (free way speeds) I hear it a little more during city driving.

Where you from? Maybe we can meet up and you can hear it in person.
Old 06-12-2016, 04:08 PM
used2xb
Registered Member

Cool, I'm in South Bay. I was definitely considering the FI RHFC's - which is why I'm so curious. Probably same as you, wouldn't want something too loud.
Old 12-16-2017, 04:03 AM
bythabay
Registered Member

Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Hey guys figured I would chime in here. As of a while back I am an official ecutek dealer/tuner. If you are looking the type of tune as good as my mechanical work, just reach out to me. I have great pricing on all the ecutek hardware and licenses as well.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:49 PM
Eric_p05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I’m extremely new at this, I have a stock G37. I did install K&N tryphoon intakes/ short, and was wondering if headers would be rather more sufficient than getting a cat-back exhaust/tubes?
Old 03-23-2018, 07:18 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Eric_p05
I’m extremely new at this, I have a stock G37. I did install K&N tryphoon intakes/ short, and was wondering if headers would be rather more sufficient than getting a cat-back exhaust/tubes?
Eric, the stock headers are already very good. You may want to rethink your intake choice though based on datalog review. Let me know if you’d like help with this.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:28 PM
Eric_p05

I definitely need help brotha... how may I reach you?
Originally Posted by bythabay

Eric, the stock headers are already very good. You may want to rethink your intake choice though based on datalog review. Let me know if you’d like help with this.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:35 PM
bythabay
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Eric_p05
I definitely need help brotha... how may I reach you?
Call me on my shop line 415 830 4008
Old 12-16-2020, 02:10 AM
Peyton207
Registered Member

Ecutek on a 2008 G37s

Originally Posted by hooey_b
Go with Ecutek. They have the true values for the VVEL, so you'll be able to advance/retard intake cams to some certain degree.

also, boost by gear...true 2 step launch, flex fuel tuning based on ethanol content...those are just only some of the distinguishing features that I can remember over UpRev.

I own a 2008 which is unsupported by Ecutek, but I'm going to make it work anyways.

Also, pricing on average (from what I've seen) is aroudn $800 to $850 for the RaceROM tune. Dynotronics, down in TX, specializes in tuning, so they can offer a huge discount on their e-tune service ($660 RaceROM tune, includes the Tuning suite kit, license, and unlimited revisions to update from Ecutek yearly.

Sorry this is a few years late...
Were you ever able to make the ECUTEK software work on the 2008 G37s without swapping to a new ecu?

Quick Reply: Uprev vs Ecutek and where?