NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

Tint Ticket in PA

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 11:51 PM
scw156

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tint Ticket in PA

Searched the forums and came up relatively empty. Thought I'd take a shot.

Anyone know what the fine is for tints in PA? I got pulled over Tuesday for my tints. Cop couldn't see into my car (even though it was 6:00am and dark out). He metered my windows and they are 17%. I was fully aware of the risk i took when I tinted and I've gone over a year without any problems.

The cop was nice and gave me one of those PennDot cards. He said I have 10 days to have my tint removed and have an Inspection Station sign the card. If he gets it he won't send a ticket. If he doesn't get the card back I'll get a ticket in the mail.

Currently I'm trying to find a PA Inspection Station that can 'help' me out and sign it for me so i don't have to go through all the trouble removing the tint.

Anyone get a tint ticket? I'm thinking if the fine isn't a lot and I'm not 'required' to still remove the tint I might just take the ticket and pay it.

Got a little long winded there, sorry.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:29 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Attached is the current tint law for Pennsylvania. With your current 17% and the law saying 70% minimum, I don’t see how an inspection station will help you out.

Pennsylvania Window Tint Law | TintCenter Window Tinting

But I appreciate your posting this, if no other reason but to refute all those on this forum who claim they will never be pulled over for illegal tints. And of course, it’s my opinion that removing and replacing your tints to legal levels will prevent future pull overs and certainly will be safer for you and your family.
Old 10-13-2011, 04:23 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I'm not from PA, so this is a little confusing to me. But, per this link, it appears your state has contradicting laws that are up to the LEO to interpret and use his discretion.

PA Window Tinting Law, Statutes, and Regulations

Apparently, one of the statutes does NOT give a percentage, rather says anything that does not allow someone to see into the vehicle is illegal.

Either way you violated it, lol
Old 10-13-2011, 07:17 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
Either pay the fine, or pull it off & have it redone.

Only got 1 tint ticket in 4yrs, "said I had it removed per invoice"

Got ot reduced to about half from the original amt.

$50 fine, that works for me, cant stand the fishbowl look.

Dont let one gestapo pig dictate anything to you.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:01 AM
scw156

Chekov, there is no "law" in PA. As Ibanez points out the problem in PA is there are contradictory statements made in literature in PA. That's not my point... I know I was a risk with any tint. My car passed inspection because 'sunscreen' on windows is not a required part of the inspection process in PA. I was simply stating I was looking for a 'friendly' inspection station that could sign the paper for me, thus saving me the trouble of taking the tint off and probably end up putting it back on.

The alternative is to just take the fine which is why I was inquiring to see if anyone knew how much the ticket would be. I'll go out of my way to remove the tint if the fine is $500, but probably won't if it's $50.

Risky Guy, thanks for giving me a ballpark with the ticket cost. I drive past local and state police all the time with no problems. There have been a string of bank robberies in the area where I work and the regional police have been on edge. I don't blame the officer at all for pulling me over and I have no argument at all about it. Just weighing my options.

Originally Posted by Chekov
Attached is the current tint law for Pennsylvania. With your current 17% and the law saying 70% minimum, I don’t see how an inspection station will help you out.

Pennsylvania Window Tint Law | TintCenter Window Tinting

But I appreciate your posting this, if no other reason but to refute all those on this forum who claim they will never be pulled over for illegal tints. And of course, it’s my opinion that removing and replacing your tints to legal levels will prevent future pull overs and certainly will be safer for you and your family.
Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
I'm not from PA, so this is a little confusing to me. But, per this link, it appears your state has contradicting laws that are up to the LEO to interpret and use his discretion.

PA Window Tinting Law, Statutes, and Regulations

Apparently, one of the statutes does NOT give a percentage, rather says anything that does not allow someone to see into the vehicle is illegal.

Either way you violated it, lol
Old 10-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Scw156,
Putting aside for a moment what the tint law is in Pennsylvania, my point is, as expressed many times before, that some tints, including yours at 17%, is a safety hazard for night driving. You must weigh this hazard against the perception of having a car that looks “cool.”

In the final analysis, the issue is not how many times you may be pulled over, as there are many members here who will say the odds are minimal, nor how much the fine is if caught; rather, it’s how much you’ve increased the chance of killing yourself, a pedestrian or another driver some dark night due to this restricted visibility.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:06 PM
TeRRoRiFiC35

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
U can always try to cheat it by going to an eye doctor and having him write u a prescription for tint.. then all u need to do is go to the dmv
Old 10-13-2011, 12:47 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35
U can always try to cheat it by going to an eye doctor and having him write u a prescription for tint.. then all u need to do is go to the dmv
This too has been covered before. Besides the fact that the doctor could lose his/her medical license for committing a fraud, in California and perhaps other states as well, the law says such tints must be temporary and should be removed for night driving, which is quite impractical for other than sun-shade type tints.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:45 PM
scw156

Originally Posted by Chekov
Scw156,
Putting aside for a moment what the tint law is in Pennsylvania, my point is, as expressed many times before, that some tints, including yours at 17%, is a safety hazard for night driving. You must weigh this hazard against the perception of having a car that looks “cool.”

In the final analysis, the issue is not how many times you may be pulled over, as there are many members here who will say the odds are minimal, nor how much the fine is if caught; rather, it’s how much you’ve increased the chance of killing yourself, a pedestrian or another driver some dark night due to this restricted visibility.
I respect your opinion and concern for my safety and others. I rarely drive my car at night. If anything it's in the morning maybe 30 minutes before dawn and then its all daylight driving. I understand it only takes once, however. Plus, you would be suprised how well you can see through 17% (I actually have 20% on my car). It's dark but not dark that you can't see into my car, it's nothing like 5% limo tint.

Originally Posted by TeRRoRiFiC35
From what I remember reading from the department of transportation that "tints" aren't allowed. I can't quote but off of my memory, if you have an eye issue that clear coats can be placed over the windows to block the UV rays but there should be no tint less that "70%"... which, again, due to contradictory statements is up for debate. From what I remember the only way you're allowed dark tint is if the car is older than like 1986 or something and it has paperwork.

Maybe I'm remembering wrong but I can look it up to make a positive statement.
Old 04-22-2019, 03:40 PM
Janell

A Medical Exemption only allows transparent tint that blocks the UV light. I know cause I've had it before they made that clear.