NorthEast Serving CT, DE, MA, MD, ME, NH, NJ, NY, OH, PA, RI, VA, VT, WV

NOVA/DC/MD G37 Owners

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 05:06 PM
Dedeman
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like dealer level stuff, unless you don't want to pay dealership prices. Personally, I've been to both Passport locations (NOVA and MD) when I had to get my cats replaced (at f'ing 60k miles). As far as tuner shops go, I've seen good things about PTuning in Manassas, but I'm not sure where you are in NOVA. I've also had work done on my Acura(s) at Royal Service Center, but just brakes/tires.
The following users liked this post:
IPL Twin (05-13-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 05:24 PM
tifosi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dedeman
Sounds like dealer level stuff, unless you don't want to pay dealership prices. Personally, I've been to both Passport locations (NOVA and MD) when I had to get my cats replaced (at f'ing 60k miles). As far as tuner shops go, I've seen good things about PTuning in Manassas, but I'm not sure where you are in NOVA. I've also had work done on my Acura(s) at Royal Service Center, but just brakes/tires.
I am in South Riding, VA.
Yes, this is all mostly dealer level stuff. I got quotes from a couple different dealerships, quotes for Upper and lower hose replacement, thermostat replacement and coolant flush were close to $850-$900. I am not ready to spend so much money on this at the moment. If I can find an independent dealer/mechanic I could save some money.

When I spoke with Hommad in February about this work he asked me to wait a few weeks as he was busy at the time.
Old 04-08-2019, 06:20 PM
Dedeman
Registered Member

Ok, so you're not too too far from PTuning or something similar. I usually get the OEM parts online (or perhaps you prefer aftermarket), and have X shop install them as they are guaranteed to be more expensive from the dealership parts dept. Personally, I've gone for Hawk pads in the past when my OEM wore out.
IPL Twin (05-13-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 07:24 PM
tifosi

Ok, so you're not too too far from PTuning or something similar. I usually get the OEM parts online (or perhaps you prefer aftermarket), and have X shop install them as they are guaranteed to be more expensive from the dealership parts dept. Personally, I've gone for Hawk pads in the past when my OEM wore out.
That is exactly what I have been doing for the past few years. I buy the after market parts online and have Hommad install them.
Now that Hommad is not available, I am looking for another shop.

I have been using StopTech Street Performance and have been very happy with them. They dust quite a bit but the braking performance is very good.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:32 PM
Dedeman
Registered Member

Ok, good. I'm not sure who Hommad is, but I'm sure there are more than a few places that will do this work. I've used Hawk ceramic before, and they work well but also dust quite a bit.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:10 AM
tifosi

Ok, good. I'm not sure who Hommad is, but I'm sure there are more than a few places that will do this work. I've used Hawk ceramic before, and they work well but also dust quite a bit.
Hommad is the owner of EZ Auto.

Do you know of any shops that allow us bring in our own parts? I called a few shops around here and they said they dont allow customers bring in their own parts.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:42 AM
skrolz
Registered Member

Received 47 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by tifosi
Hommad is the owner of EZ Auto.

Do you know of any shops that allow us bring in our own parts? I called a few shops around here and they said they dont allow customers bring in their own parts.
I've actually never experienced this except for maybe a dealership turning down outside parts.

I used to be a Subaru guy, and I always took my car to MachV in Sterling. They specifically work on Subarus and turbo BMWs, but they never turned my G37xS coupe away. They are pricey (dealership prices for labor), but I trust them 100%. They are all about torquing to spec, etc. And I ALWAYS bring all my own stuff (oil, filters, parts, etc.). Might not hurt to give them a call.

Good luck!
Old 04-09-2019, 10:59 AM
tifosi

Originally Posted by skrolz
I've actually never experienced this except for maybe a dealership turning down outside parts.

I used to be a Subaru guy, and I always took my car to MachV in Sterling. They specifically work on Subarus and turbo BMWs, but they never turned my G37xS coupe away. They are pricey (dealership prices for labor), but I trust them 100%. They are all about torquing to spec, etc. And I ALWAYS bring all my own stuff (oil, filters, parts, etc.). Might not hurt to give them a call.

Good luck!
Thank you! I'll give them a call.
Old 04-14-2019, 07:40 AM
IPL Twin
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dc ipl

Here in DC IPL G 73k miles 6MT
Old 05-07-2019, 09:04 PM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Received 298 Likes on 236 Posts
Anyone know of a shop/installer in NoVA for aftermarket LED switchback turn signals?

Don't think dealership would be willing to do it, and most private shops are mostly interested major maintenance/repair work (two turned me down)...

I'm glad to help out, just a little rusty on accessing the headlamp to swap out the bulbs on my own. Thanks
Old 05-08-2019, 01:11 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint
Anyone know of a shop/installer in NoVA for aftermarket LED switchback turn signals?

Don't think dealership would be willing to do it, and most private shops are mostly interested major maintenance/repair work (two turned me down)...

I'm glad to help out, just a little rusty on accessing the headlamp to swap out the bulbs on my own. Thanks

Talking about the Diode dynamic switchbacks? Pretty easy (need to go through the wheel well.) and I have a walk through on the resistor install to prevent hyper blink on this forum somewhere.
The following 2 users liked this post by RMB5190:
Diode Dynamics (05-09-2019), STownSaint (05-11-2019)
Old 05-09-2019, 02:08 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Originally Posted by tifosi
Do you know of any shops that allow us bring in our own parts? I called a few shops around here and they said they don't allow customers to bring in their own parts.
Keep calling around. All the upgrades on my G were performed by a small shop and I brought them ALL of the parts.
Old 05-10-2019, 12:05 PM
afrayedknot
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by STownSaint

If you haven't already paid someone to do this, I would highly recommend you DIY. It's actually quite simple. For me personally, determining which 2 of the 3 wires to tap into the resistor took the longest. (You want to tap into the GREEN/BLACK and WHITE/BLACK wires; leave the GREEN/WHITE alone.) It should take maybe an hour if you're a novice...

I recently installed my switchbacks when I installed my K&N short ram, so I had already removed the stock air boxes. I believe this is the most practical way to access the bulb from the engine bay, if you don't want to enter via the wheel well.

Send a PM if you decide to DIY and need any help with the installation.
STownSaint (05-11-2019)
Old 05-11-2019, 10:50 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Talking about the Diode dynamic switchbacks? Pretty easy (need to go through the wheel well.) and I have a walk through on the resistor install to prevent hyper blink on this forum somewhere.
Got the bulbs from VLED (because my out-of-warranty "Triton" bulbs are acting up and they gave me some store credit).

I'll search for the forums for your thread on the install...thanks!
Old 05-11-2019, 10:52 AM
STownSaint
Registered Member

Originally Posted by afrayedknot
If you haven't already paid someone to do this, I would highly recommend you DIY. It's actually quite simple. For me personally, determining which 2 of the 3 wires to tap into the resistor took the longest. (You want to tap into the GREEN/BLACK and WHITE/BLACK wires; leave the GREEN/WHITE alone.) It should take maybe an hour if you're a novice...

I recently installed my switchbacks when I installed my K&N short ram, so I had already removed the stock air boxes. I believe this is the most practical way to access the bulb from the engine bay, if you don't want to enter via the wheel well.

Send a PM if you decide to DIY and need any help with the installation.
Thanks for the tips/confidence boost!

Still not yet installed, my townhouse complex/HOA is very picking on working on cars...

I'll for sure PM you when I get around to this install, thanks for the offer

Quick Reply: NOVA/DC/MD G37 Owners