Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Bought my first g37, 2011. A few issues noticed as i got home

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2024, 08:33 PM
MyToeSis
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bought my first g37, 2011. A few issues noticed as i got home

I just bought my first g37 today. took a look at it yesterday and everything seemed great. when i got home and parked, got out and noticed the fob previous owner had wouldn’t lock the vehicle. i got back in, and tried and it still didn’t work. perfectly fine when i put it in the ignition and started perfectly. contacted seller and he stated the fob needed a new battery. thankfully i had extras from my 2014 sentra. and still did not work. not sure if i need to reprogram it or anything. second. after starting and troubleshooting, the service engine soon light came on. i don’t have a code reader but manuel wasn’t much help with troubleshooting. light is not blinking. this light is my main concern because id need to pass emissions and register it. any help would be apreciated.
Old 01-25-2024, 10:31 PM
beefychicken
Premier Member

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts
Sorry you are having issues.

Might want to discuss this further with the previous owner if possible. Seems like it was a private sale, but if it was a dealer, then your state's Lemon Laws may be able to help you back out of the deal.

Question, what did you mean by "i put it in the ignition and started perfectly." regarding the key? its a proximity key with a pushbutton start; it should start with the key anywhere inside the car.

Some things to check: does the car lock/unlick when you press the door handle buttons? Does the trunk open / close using the button in the left tail light? Do the lock / unlock keys on the remote function as expected?

As for the CEL, you can get the codes read for free at most chain auto parts stores. Another option is to get a cheap bluetooth OBD port adapter and use an app like Torque Pro or OBD Fusion to read the codes. But until you read the codes, you wont be able to figure out the issue. (There are other ways to read the codes by manually by putting the car into a maintenance mode and reading the engine light flashing codes - not going into details here, but you can find the procedure in this forum or The370Z forum or just google it.)

Good luck and welcome to the community!
Old 01-26-2024, 04:08 PM
MyToeSis
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by beefychicken
Sorry you are having issues.

Might want to discuss this further with the previous owner if possible. Seems like it was a private sale, but if it was a dealer, then your state's Lemon Laws may be able to help you back out of the deal.

Question, what did you mean by "i put it in the ignition and started perfectly." regarding the key? its a proximity key with a pushbutton start; it should start with the key anywhere inside the car.

Some things to check: does the car lock/unlick when you press the door handle buttons? Does the trunk open / close using the button in the left tail light? Do the lock / unlock keys on the remote function as expected?

As for the CEL, you can get the codes read for free at most chain auto parts stores. Another option is to get a cheap bluetooth OBD port adapter and use an app like Torque Pro or OBD Fusion to read the codes. But until you read the codes, you wont be able to figure out the issue. (There are other ways to read the codes by manually by putting the car into a maintenance mode and reading the engine light flashing codes - not going into details here, but you can find the procedure in this forum or The370Z forum or just google it.)

Good luck and welcome to the community!
I appreciate the help, here is some clarification

For the key, when i place it in the slot for the car to start, it does turn on and works as expected. my issue is the fobs button and physical key. the lock, unlock, trunk and alarm buttons don’t do anything neither does the physical key in the door. it’s not the oem key as it does not have the infiniti logo. i tried to replace the battery but the buttons still didn’t work. seller stated the fob needed new battery. i don’t think it’s an issue with reprogramming because like i said, the car still can start when and only when i have the key in its slot

as for the SES light, i wasn’t told it was straight piped.😑 but that’s something i can fix myself.
Old 01-29-2024, 07:30 AM
camopaint0707
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Why would the key remote not unlocking the car have anything at all to do with passing emissions?
Old 01-29-2024, 06:28 PM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 1,017 Posts
Your key fob contains two different sets of codes:

1) RKE- remote key entry (door locks/ trunk) and
2) IVIS- "immobilizer/ push to start" functions.

It is rare, but possible, that the RKE code became "corrupted" while the IVIS chip code remained intact- which is why you can start the car with the fob in the slot.

In these cases it could be the fob, BCM, or, rarely, the RKE module.

I would have a qualified, licensed locksmith check everything out.