Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Why are my tires sticky?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2022, 10:12 AM
Horcrux
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why are my tires sticky?

I have had my 2010 G37S Sedan for almost a year now and for some reason, today I noticed my tires are sticky, but I'm sure they shouldn't be.

In a nutshell, I have Yokohama yk740 gtx run flats all 'round. This morning, after dropping my kids off at school, I could hear the sound of my tires throwing up dirt as if I had just gone mudding, even though I spent the last 30 minutes in a parking lot, parked with the vehicle running. I stopped to check my tires and all four of them felt slightly sticky to the touch and there where all kinds of sediments and grass stuck to my tires.

A few blocks later, I turned to the right and there was a horrible grinding or scraping sound coming from my front tires. I tried turning left into a gas station and it happened again. It seems to only be happening when I make a full turn and not a lane change or something.

Leaving the gas station, I floored it to see if maybe that would make whatever was flinging off my tires come off, but it was to no avail.

I tried Googling this problem, as I have never noticed my tires feeling sticky like this before and they have never made that sound when I turn, but found nothing that fit my problem.. At first I figured maybe something sticky was in the parking lot, like a spilled soda or something, but i mean that would go away fairly quick after a short distance of driving, so now my paranoid brain has me concerned my tired are melting. So I'm am now turning to the experts and asking you guys, just what the hell is happening to my car?

Some notable information I noticed that may help...
  1. -2010 G37S Sedan
  2. -Tires are Yokohama YK740 GTX
  3. -My headers throw off a lot of heat, but my car is not overheating
  4. -I live in Texas and it has been 90+ the past few days (although this was early in the morning, outside temp of 75ish)
  5. -I retraced my drive and there where no newly paved roads along the path
  6. -I have not been mudding, although it sounds as if I had
  7. -Although my tires feel sticky to the touch, my drive doesn't feel any more 'grippy' then usual.

I do apologize for the lengthy post buti tried to include as much detail as I could, incase anyone knows what is happening or if anyone has experienced the same issue as well.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:21 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Pic of tire tread?
Old 09-16-2022, 10:35 AM
Horcrux
Registered Member

I hope these help.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:45 AM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

I don't see anything out of the ordinary. The last pic shows some debris attached.

Run at highway speeds lately? What psi do you keep the tires at?

I recall when I had the michelin PSS, everytime I'd leave my garage I'd hear what you're describing. Within a few blocks that would go away.

Your tire doesn't look like this - https://i.imgur.com/FBfKeeM.jpg - which is an overheated tire.
Old 09-16-2022, 10:47 AM
ILM-NC G37S
Registered Member

Received 1,260 Likes on 1,021 Posts
Originally Posted by Horcrux
...I turned to the right and there was a horrible grinding or scraping sound coming from my front tires. I tried turning left into a gas station and it happened again. It seems to only be happening when I make a full turn and not a lane change or something.
Are you AWD or RWD?

Typically grinding noises from the front end during turns are signs of a failed wheel bearing (or CV joint if AWD). The "sticky" residue could be grease or fluid of some type.

You will need to get under there and look everything over- I doubt the tires are the issue.

Last edited by ILM-NC G37S; 09-16-2022 at 11:16 AM.
Old 09-16-2022, 01:35 PM
Horcrux
Registered Member

It is a rwd
Old 09-16-2022, 01:39 PM
Horcrux
Registered Member

I just checked after almost 5 hours of sitting and my tires are still sticky to the touch. I'm gonna try taking it to a car wash and see if it's goes away after they have been cleaned.
Old 09-16-2022, 02:09 PM
BULL
Moderador

Received 721 Likes on 561 Posts
Im sure it's a combination of:

PSI + alignment met with hot Texas weather exacerbated by the car's underneath heat.
Possibly age of the tire as well (check production year)

If this is something that you just noticed I would say mainly PSI and alignment.

This is not something that should concern you as much since the issue will reveal itself over time and other than a slightly accelerated tire wear it will not cause you any issues.

An experiment that will yield more info will be to drive the car in wet roads and try to wear that "stickiness" out.
Then monitor how long it will take for them to go back to sticky.

This will tell us more on this issue so you can be pointed in the right direction, I'd suggest you start looking at the right tires you want for the car for once these are done.
Old 09-16-2022, 02:27 PM
Horcrux
Registered Member

OK, I went to a drive through car wash just now and checked my tires while they where still wet, and they where no longer sticky. I drove home, taking a few extra turns here and there and the grinding scrapping sound didn't come back. When I got home, I checked again and they still aren't sticky. The gentleman at the car wash said it was most likely just an extreme amount of tree sap coating my tires.

I greatly appreciate all of the rapid feedback and suggestions you all gave me.
Old 09-16-2022, 02:53 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

<shrug> I remember driving to CO when it was 90-100F out. Don't recall experiencing stickyness. Granted this was with the PSS so a stickier (pun intended) tire to begin with. Being a summer only performance tire prob designed to handle the heat better too.

Why do you have a general all season tire on a g37s? Go with the pilot sport as/4 or continental dws06 or similar.

Old 09-19-2022, 08:59 AM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by Horcrux
OK, I went to a drive through car wash just now and checked my tires while they where still wet, and they where no longer sticky. I drove home, taking a few extra turns here and there and the grinding scrapping sound didn't come back. When I got home, I checked again and they still aren't sticky. The gentleman at the car wash said it was most likely just an extreme amount of tree sap coating my tires.

I greatly appreciate all of the rapid feedback and suggestions you all gave me.
This is a very possible scenario. That heat should not play that much of an effect on your tires but it will liquify tree sap and all it would take is to pull up on a shady parking spot to avoid the sun.

Some purple power degreaser and pressure washer will leave them looking new and I guess monitor to see if that comes back.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:42 PM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,604 Likes on 3,448 Posts
If tree sap were on your tires, odds are it's on your doors and rear quarter panels too.

Good excuse for a proper clay & wax. If you've never used clay before, this will be an awesome eye opener for you.
The following users liked this post:
stealthee (09-19-2022)
Old 09-19-2022, 06:50 PM
stealthee
Registered Member

Received 200 Likes on 155 Posts
I desperately need to find the time to clay my car. It looks terrible with pollen all over it.
Old 09-20-2022, 10:15 AM
BULL
Moderador

Originally Posted by Rochester
If tree sap were on your tires, odds are it's on your doors and rear quarter panels too.

Good excuse for a proper clay & wax. If you've never used clay before, this will be an awesome eye opener for you.
I found a "clay glove and pad" its a glove or a sanding pad with a layer of claybar type like material. Not as long lasting as a bar however no more folding and if it falls, dirt can be cleaned off it.
You can seriously clay a car in 35 minutes, its fantastic

Amazon Amazon
Old 09-20-2022, 10:28 AM
Rochester
Administrator

Received 4,604 Likes on 3,448 Posts
Originally Posted by BULL
I found a "clay glove and pad" its a glove or a sanding pad with a layer of claybar type like material. Not as long lasting as a bar however no more folding and if it falls, dirt can be cleaned off it.
You can seriously clay a car in 35 minutes, its fantastic

https://www.amazon.com/AutoCare-Surf...a-446183594055
That would be ideal if you had a situation where you needed to go over the whole car quickly. Like if you drove over newly painted lines on blacktop, of if you parked under a pine tree all weekend.

Nice find, BULL.

Quick Reply: Why are my tires sticky?