Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

2012 g37x idle noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 05:07 PM
aj28ashe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 g37x idle noise

Hi all,

I am currently looking into purchasing a 2012 g37x with 47k miles on it. I took it for two test drives and overall it felt pretty good, however i noticed that when I would come to a stop or come to a red light, I could hear this deep gurgle/rumble/idk what else noise. It almost sounded as if it had modded exhaust. Does anyone know if this is just the way these cars sound at idle, or is there something potentially wrong with that? I also hear a slight whine when I'm going slow and press the accelerator slightly. Any help is appreciated.

Smasher
Old 01-20-2018, 05:38 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Welcome to the site.

I don't have an x so I can only speculate. You'll have to wait for an AWD onwner to chime in.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:24 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Whine could be the power steering reservoir. There's a tsb for that. If the car has a non stock exhaust then yes, it could be noisier. I remember the stock exhaust on my S sedan was very quiet. Too quiet even.

Posting a decent recording might yield better answers.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:39 AM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by aj28ashe
Hi all,

I am currently looking into purchasing a 2012 g37x with 47k miles on it. I took it for two test drives and overall it felt pretty good, however i noticed that when I would come to a stop or come to a red light, I could hear this deep gurgle/rumble/idk what else noise. It almost sounded as if it had modded exhaust. Does anyone know if this is just the way these cars sound at idle, or is there something potentially wrong with that? I also hear a slight whine when I'm going slow and press the accelerator slightly. Any help is appreciated.

Smasher
Purchasing any used car carries a risk. Only 47k miles, it was hardly driven.
Spend the $150 and have the vehicle inspected by an Infiniti dealer. They can run the VIN number, give you a service history, and confirm that the vehicle was originally purchased in your state and not elsewhere where flooding may have occurred.
Any defects uncovered by the dealer can be used to negotiate the price to cover any possible needed repairs.

Telcoman
Old 01-22-2018, 10:10 AM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by telcoman
Purchasing any used car carries a risk. Only 47k miles, it was hardly driven.
Spend the $150 and have the vehicle inspected by an Infiniti dealer. They can run the VIN number, give you a service history, and confirm that the vehicle was originally purchased in your state and not elsewhere where flooding may have occurred.
Any defects uncovered by the dealer can be used to negotiate the price to cover any possible needed repairs.

Telcoman
Best advice!
A PPI was a must coming from the Euro crowd and that $150 could save you thou$and$ in the long run