Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Just purchased a 2012 Journey Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2017, 02:24 PM
yellowjacket83

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just purchased a 2012 Journey Sedan

Hello all! I am the proud new owner of a 2012 G37 Sedan with the automatic transmission. As a car guy I've eyed G37s and G35s for years but have deferred to European vehicles mostly until now. I'm coming from an E46 BMW 330i sedan with the ZHP package and wanted something with a trustworthy auto transmission, more power, and much better reliability. I've already had to fix the sunroof drains at the firewall (surprise water leak in the first week of ownership) but hopefully that's not a trend! Looking forward to many years of happy motoring
Old 11-19-2017, 03:35 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Congrats and welcome!
Old 11-19-2017, 06:40 PM
Junglejack

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello,
I too just purchased a 2012 G37 (an X Model in my example) and gave serious considering to purchasing an BMW E92 (2006-2013 Coupe) as well, but even a perfect example in terms of servicing still scares me due to BMW's "free maintenance" which in turn gives out free oil changes around every 12,000 miles (sometimes even more depending on the sensor)
While the highest quality synthetic oils can most likely take it, the oil filter at 10,000 miles plus is that scares me.

My best friend has an E46 M3 with the ZHP Package and that thing is a beast. I do make fun of him for spending probably $5000 on Carbon Fibre jewelry on it when 99.999999% is cosmetic applications as opposed to things to say lower the unsprung weight.

Regardless, congrats on your new car and may it bring you many years of motoring pleasure.
Old 11-19-2017, 07:43 PM
yellowjacket83

Originally Posted by Junglejack
Hello,
I too just purchased a 2012 G37 (an X Model in my example) and gave serious considering to purchasing an BMW E92 (2006-2013 Coupe) as well, but even a perfect example in terms of servicing still scares me due to BMW's "free maintenance" which in turn gives out free oil changes around every 12,000 miles (sometimes even more depending on the sensor)
While the highest quality synthetic oils can most likely take it, the oil filter at 10,000 miles plus is that scares me.

My best friend has an E46 M3 with the ZHP Package and that thing is a beast. I do make fun of him for spending probably $5000 on Carbon Fibre jewelry on it when 99.999999% is cosmetic applications as opposed to things to say lower the unsprung weight.

Regardless, congrats on your new car and may it bring you many years of motoring pleasure.
Thanks! Yeah the E9x BMWs are tempting but when I started reading about common issues it seems like they got much worse reliability-wise after the E46 not better. Maybe once the F30 models get some years/miles on them and the reliability is more known I'll look at switching back but, until then, the G it is!
Old 11-19-2017, 09:34 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome Georgia Tech fan! Glad you found us and hopefully that sunroof seal will be it for the issues you will have. Eyeing an M2, as a future retirement cruiser, time will tell
Old 11-20-2017, 01:43 AM
Junglejack

Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome Georgia Tech fan! Glad you found us and hopefully that sunroof seal will be it for the issues you will have. Eyeing an M2, as a future retirement cruiser, time will tell
I did not realize the OP was a Tech fan. (might need to read user names more closely), as a UGA graduate, I will only say Tech is wrong! That said, it is an excellent school.
Old 11-20-2017, 08:27 PM
yellowjacket83

Originally Posted by blnewt
Thank you! More than a fan...a fairly recent graduate as well Was a mechanic for years but decided I didn't want to do it the rest of my life...out of the automotive industry now but still love playing with cars
Old 11-22-2017, 04:23 AM
Junglejack

Originally Posted by yellowjacket83
Thank you! More than a fan...a fairly recent graduate as well Was a mechanic for years but decided I didn't want to do it the rest of my life...out of the automotive industry now but still love playing with cars
While not quite a recent graduate of UGA, within the decade. All I can say is y'all are going down when we play. After the Auburn fiasco, UGA is going to come out raging.