Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Is the g37 for me?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 01:27 PM
iddqd
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Is the g37 for me?

Hello all! New member here and somewhat new lurker. I currently drive a boring, practical small suv. I've been looking around and researching for the last three months on a sportier, more fun to drive coupe. From lots of advice on reddit and other sites, many suggested I look into a g37. Having read much about it, it looks amazing and ideal! Sure it takes premium gas, but my work commute is so short!

I'd be looking to trade in my vehicle and go finance one of these beautiful cars. I'm looking to go automatic and I think the journey should be fine with navigation/tech package since I want to daily drive this for the next five years or more. I wouldn't be looking to mod or anything, probably just tint the windows and add a remote engine start if their compatible. I live in Atlanta, so awd wouldn't really be needed.

To all of you drivers of this gorgeous vehicle, would you recommend I go for it? I like the interior you get with this vehicle vs others in the similar price point. I'd be looking around the 20-25k range for a 2012/2013 g37.

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: I should have put "coupe" in the title. Doh!

Last edited by iddqd; 03-20-2017 at 02:05 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:38 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Think you will find us a little bias but I like it.

From my most recent search, it was the best car available that offered the most performance, reliance, and cost of maintenance for the cost; not to mention I find the car visually appealing. At the end of the day, this car was a $35K + car before the Q60 came out and I honestly believe if the Q was never revealed then the G line would still be expensive.

Since you have a shorter commute, my recommendation would be to get a Manual Transmission. Much more rewarding experience.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:38 PM
iddqd
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Think you will find us a little bias but I like it.

From my most recent search, it was the best car available that offered the most performance, reliance, and cost of maintenance for the cost; not to mention I find the car visually appealing. At the end of the day, this car was a $35K + car before the Q60 came out and I honestly believe if the Q was never revealed then the G line would still be expensive.

Since you have a shorter commute, my recommendation would be to get a Manual Transmission. Much more rewarding experience.
Good point about you all being biased, lol. Just looking through different threads and posts it seems all of you have great pride with your g37 and seem to enjoy it very much. I'd mainly be using it to daily drive and I think I'd enjoy the heck out if it having never driven anything with more than 180hp lol.

Yes! The value is what really steered me towards this one. Originally I was looking at a genesis coupe 3.8, mustang ecoboost then this one. I believe I want to go with a g37 journey.

Oh man, I would have to learn how to drive manual if I went that route (don't throw rocks at me please). From what I understand a manual is much more engaging. Just sucks in my 28 years of living I never learned how to operate one yet lol.

Thanks for the answer man!
Old 03-17-2017, 03:04 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Never too late to learn. 27 my man - never owned a stick myself. Only drove them when they were available.

I was looking at the exact same cars ha ha. I really liked the Genesis and Mustang GT. The GT was a 2014 and the Genesis was a 2013/2014. The Mustang was what I was going to get until a loan fell through on my house. Had to get 5 grand to cover my closing and when that happened the GT fell out of my budget. I was gonna go with the 2.0 Genesis for the turbo potential. Read up on them and everything. I believed the G to be out of my price range until I looked at one on a whim and when I test drove one and compared to the Genesis it was a done deal.

Edit: A lot of pride and experience on these boards but the members are very humble and will try to help you with anything.....for the most part.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:17 PM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Though I have a "G" now I am far from biased toward them. The reason, until this car I have been driving various European sedans, coupes and SUVs for the last 20 years. So why did I switch? Much like what RMB said based on my research, it was the best overall bang for the buck. More power, similar interior room, superior reliability (comparatively). Though the fit and finish is not on par with a Euro, I am VERY satisfied, happy even that I bought it. Great power, nice handling and styling, sporty feel and a good aftermarket

In other words, BUY IT. I would definitely say buy manual though.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:23 PM
iddqd
Registered Member

Originally Posted by RMB5190
Never too late to learn. 27 my man - never owned a stick myself. Only drove them when they were available.

I was looking at the exact same cars ha ha. I really liked the Genesis and Mustang GT. The GT was a 2014 and the Genesis was a 2013/2014. The Mustang was what I was going to get until a loan fell through on my house. Had to get 5 grand to cover my closing and when that happened the GT fell out of my budget. I was gonna go with the 2.0 Genesis for the turbo potential. Read up on them and everything. I believed the G to be out of my price range until I looked at one on a whim and when I test drove one and compared to the Genesis it was a done deal.

Edit: A lot of pride and experience on these boards but the members are very humble and will try to help you with anything.....for the most part.
Good point! I know a few people that drive a stick. Maybe they can let me give it a go in a parking lot lol. I'll see if I can pick up on it.

Ouch! That sucks about the closing costs but at least you get a sweet ride at the end of it.

Yeah they seem like helpful forums. Hopefully eventually I'll be adding a newbie stock pic of a newly acquired g37.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:26 PM
iddqd
Registered Member

Originally Posted by r2dmax
Though I have a "G" now I am far from biased toward them. The reason, until this car I have been driving various European sedans, coupes and SUVs for the last 20 years. So why did I switch? Much like what RMB said based on my research, it was the best overall bang for the buck. More power, similar interior room, superior reliability (comparatively). Though the fit and finish is not on par with a Euro, I am VERY satisfied, happy even that I bought it. Great power, nice handling and styling, sporty feel and a good aftermarket

In other words, BUY IT. I would definitely say buy manual though.
Sweet. That's what I gathered too about the sheer value of one. I'll see if I can learn how to operate a manual. Regardless, I think I'm sold on getting one once I see one in my market area pop up. Thanks for the input!
Old 03-17-2017, 03:26 PM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
Get the manual. Even though the G has one of the tougher transmissions to operate, perfecting every shift is that much more rewarding.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:33 PM
r2dmax

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts
Plus the auto doesn't like traffic. It's a bit indecisive... lol
Old 03-17-2017, 04:11 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by r2dmax
Plus the auto doesn't like traffic. It's a bit indecisive... lol
About to go fight with it for the next 70 miles home
Old 03-17-2017, 08:50 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site, looks like you've already made some friends over here, we're kinda like that, lol.

Try driving a 6MT if you can find someone willing to give you the keys, the 6MT isn't hte easiest manual transmission to engage but a simple spring swap will make it much easier to live with.
At any rate, when looking be sure to look for a 2012 and newer model, there is gasket in the rear timing cover that is inferior in previous year Gs and can cost upwards of $2k to R&R. And if you find a true Sport model in your search that is valuable, there are a lot of nice upgrades to the Sport model. If the trunk has a red S next to the model and the brakes are nice big silver sets w/ "Infiniti" printed on them you've found a winner, even if it's an Automatic
Old 03-18-2017, 01:56 PM
iddqd
Registered Member

Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome to the site, looks like you've already made some friends over here, we're kinda like that, lol.

Try driving a 6MT if you can find someone willing to give you the keys, the 6MT isn't hte easiest manual transmission to engage but a simple spring swap will make it much easier to live with.
At any rate, when looking be sure to look for a 2012 and newer model, there is gasket in the rear timing cover that is inferior in previous year Gs and can cost upwards of $2k to R&R. And if you find a true Sport model in your search that is valuable, there are a lot of nice upgrades to the Sport model. If the trunk has a red S next to the model and the brakes are nice big silver sets w/ "Infiniti" printed on them you've found a winner, even if it's an Automatic
Thanks for the welcome! Yeah everyone seems pretty awesome on these forums.

I'll see if I can give manual a shot or maybe take a class for it? It seems like that's the way to go for sports/performance vehicles. Even if I go auto for the g37, it'll be my daily driver for a while. My work commute is only five miles now, but if I think of transferring soon it can go up to (gasp) 16 miles!

Thank you very much for the advice about the model year! I was debating on looking at older models but that's good info to know. I do see a few sport models around my area, all being manual though. :-\ I'll be patient and wait to see if an auto sport pops up around the years you suggested. I think I'd be perfectly content with a journey but maybe the patience would pay off. Having never modded a car before, I might actually really enjoy it lol.

Thanks again dude.
Old 03-18-2017, 03:00 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

If your budget/funds allow it, grab a <1000 dollar car and practice. What I plan to do if I go manual. Beat the hell out of it, learn, donate, write off on your taxes
Old 03-18-2017, 03:20 PM
phade91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by iddqd
Sweet. That's what I gathered too about the sheer value of one. I'll see if I can learn how to operate a manual. Regardless, I think I'm sold on getting one once I see one in my market area pop up. Thanks for the input!
don"t buy a manual you lose horsepower and fuel economy with manual versions
Old 03-18-2017, 03:53 PM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by phade91
don"t buy a manual you lose horsepower and fuel economy with manual versions
lol you still drunk from St. Patties day?