Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

G37 coupe journey, modding advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 12:10 AM
Ryanb1223

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37 coupe journey, modding advice

Hello, I have had my G for a little over a year but finally saved up enough to start modding and posting on here. I love my car and it's been fun and frustrating at times modding/trying to keep her in tip top shape. I'm at a point where I've read all of this great info and searched for over two weeks as not to try to make it seem as I haven't done my research. I have a question, I dropped my G coupe on tein springs and need new tires but wanna keep factory look but more aggressive stance. My stock tires are a square setup is 225/50r18 all around. I would most likely do one of these setups on my factory 18x8 rims.

1- 225/50 front and 245/45 rear
2- 235/45 front and 255/45 rear
3- 245/45 all around

Which would work the best as this is my daily driver?
I'm leaning twards 1 or 3 but would like to know spacer size on those as to be completely flush with body and no rubbing or need for fender roll. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards,
Ryan
Old 03-04-2017, 09:03 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Ryan, I'd run 245/45/18 all around, you can extend your tire life since you'll be able to do a true 4 wheel rotation. I'd get the tires first, then just measure how much spacing you'll want, bolt on spacers are simple to add later on.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:31 PM
Ryanb1223

Thanks I appreciate the info and recommendation. I also have a question regarding the spacers and alignment. Since I've dropped my coupe and haven't had it aligned, I'd buy the new tires and have it aligned. However since I plan on spacers, wouldn't it be better to buy them and put them on before I do my alignment/new tires vs new tires then alignment, then spacers, then have it aligned again?
Old 03-04-2017, 11:13 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Ryanb1223
Thanks I appreciate the info and recommendation. I also have a question regarding the spacers and alignment. Since I've dropped my coupe and haven't had it aligned, I'd buy the new tires and have it aligned. However since I plan on spacers, wouldn't it be better to buy them and put them on before I do my alignment/new tires vs new tires then alignment, then spacers, then have it aligned again?
Only when you change your suspension geometry or have an issue that may cause alignment issues (like hitting a jarring pothole, curb, or worse) would you really need to get it re-aligned. Adding spacers won't change your alignment. I would get it aligned ASAP just so you are driving a properly aligned and safe vehicle since you have had it lowered. If you dropped your coupe on Tein S Tech springs you hopefully have added the front & rear aftermarket camber arms and rear toe bolt kit, if you have the Tein H Tech springs you should be ok w/ just the rear kit.

Just be careful and keep driving to a minimum if you just dropped your G, your toe is probably quite a bit out of spec and this will quickly destroy tires and make handling unpredictable.
G/L
Old 03-05-2017, 12:22 PM
Ryanb1223

I have the tein S springs and factory shocks. I've noticed my ride seems more harsh than it was but I've been driving for a couple weeks the way it is as I thought I needed to let it settle. I haven't bought any other alignment kits but would it be close enough to factory specs after alignment that I wouldn't need anything additional? My tires on there now are not the greatest so I'm not too worried about tire wear on those and only drive round trip to work etc maybe 3-5 miles a day. I just don't have a ton of funds to throw thousands at the suspension right now unfortunately.
Old 03-05-2017, 12:53 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Ryan, the S Techs are a deep drop spring so the best you can do without any aftermarket camber/toe help will be toe in spec in front but camber will be excessive. The front tire wear will be mainly on the inner edges. The rear your toe and camber will be out so the rear tires will have much quicker wear throughout the tire. A rear kit if you do the install yourself, which also requires a dremel tool, will cost about $200 for the toe bolts and adjustable camber arms. There's another cheaper option which consists of new camber arm bolts and toe bolts (4 bolts total) about $60. To install them you MUST use a dremel tool to elongate your bolt slots so they have more adjustment range. It's not too hard to do this as long as you don't mind getting under a safely lifted car w/ proper jackstand placement.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/brakes-...-template.html

If you just get it aligned without any rear camber/toe help you'll be buying rear tires probably 3x as quick
Old 04-18-2017, 08:41 PM
Ryanb1223

Ok so I learned my lesson and ditched the lowering springs as they made my daily commute hard since I have to go over large speed bumps/inclined surfaces at my parking garage. I went with Tein coilovers so I was able to adjust my height. I'm currently sitting at close to a half/full finger gap all around no scrapping. I need my alignment redone and should be able to get by since I noticed my tires have no where near toe/camber as before. My question now is since my tires are shot and I'm going with the 245/45r18 that you recommend,
will that work on my factory 18's with no clearance or rubbing issues? Also I'm looking for a quite smooth riding tire, I don't track and don't drive aggressively as I'm getting older but ones that won't break the bank either. Any recommendations would be appreciated. I have a friend who owns a tire shop but he mainly deals with used stuff or no name brands. Here's the prices he gave me, these brands based on my budget. I'm also aware these are sporty tires so the ride may be stiffer so any suggestions on a smoother riding maybe touring tire is appreciated as well.

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110
$184.45 x 4 = $737.80

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2
$175.45 x 4 = $701.80

Sumitomo HTR ZIII
$136.95 x 4 = $547.80

Kumho Ecsta
$113.45 x 4 = $453.80

AChillies ATR Sport
$99.45 x 4 = $397.80

Mount & Balanced included
Add 6% tax for final #'s
Old 04-19-2017, 10:33 PM
Ryanb1223

Current alignment results.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:14 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Looks good. I would want more front camber but that requires aftermarket upper control arms.

Don't assume sporty tires ride harder. My car came with Bridgestone Re050 tires. I changed to Bridgestone Potenza S-04 tires and the ride was better than the OE tires. Much more grip, too.

Last edited by slartibartfast; 04-20-2017 at 11:19 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:04 PM
Ryanb1223

I purchased rear camber and toe bolts to get camber closer into spec. In order to not wear the tires out as quickly and rotate them regularly in order to get the longest life out of them. I'm probably going with the Kumho ecsta ps31. They are definitely within my budget and since I don't drive a great deal daily, advantage of living close to work, I'd assume they'll last me some time.