Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Cavalier owner dreaming with a G37 LOL

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 09:58 PM
CavalierDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cavalier owner dreaming with a G37 LOL

I have owned a 2004 base version Chevy cavalier for many years now, all manual except the transmission, it works perfectly fine, and it only has 72,000 miles, but the thing looks horrible. The interior is all cracked and faded. The paint's clear coat is all faded everywhere. I admit, I'm kind of ashamed to drive it, especially, considering I'm a good looking guy. Most people are surprised when they see my car, they probably expect me to drive something much nicer. I continue driving it because I didn't want to get in debt and wanted to save as much money as I could for my future, but I'm tired of driving a pos

I have some savings now and around 20k allocated for a decent car. I would probably continue saving until I get to at least 25k, so I still have savings for the car's maintenance. I always wanted a 370z, but the G37 is so much better looking and refined.

What is the ideal mileage that I should aim for? I mean what is the highest mileage I could get away with getting? Are these cars very reliable, where high miles don't matter? I could literally buy a G37 right now, but it will come with very high miles. I don't like that. I want one with no more than 30k miles if possible.

I have also been considering the Hyundai Genesis coupe 3.8, which I think is cheaper than the g37 in all years.

Would I be better off paying the car in cash full or financing the whole thing, and keeping the savings?
Old 04-14-2016, 10:16 PM
JeffG37x

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
G37's are awesome. If I didn't need AWD personally I would have went with a 370z. I know nothing of the genesis but it's a Hyundai so my pride wouldn't allow me to drive it.

I bought my car for less than $25k with 21000 miles. You can get a loan that has no prepayment penalty and isn't front loaded so get the car now IMO especially since you have so much savings already!!
Old 04-14-2016, 10:18 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Kudos on being good looking, although without pics I'm gonna have to assume you look like a troll.

Money is so cheap right now that you should finance a car rather than pay for the depreciating asset with cash. Say you get a rate of 2.9% or better (easy with good credit). You're not paying very much for borrowing the money over 3 or 4 years. Leaving it in whatever you have it invested in is earning higher than 2.9%, so you're better off keeping it and earning money on it than paying cash for a car. Besides, I know you can get at least $8900 for that sweetass Cavalier becasue it's a collector's item.

There are no right answers for your questions. How much mileage is too much depends on you. Clearly you don't drive a ton, so having a bit higher mileage shouldn't be an issue for you. the market is full of used G's right now with mileage all over the place from almost new to 100K or more. Pick one that fits your budget. If you want one with under 30K you'll find lots of them.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
Old 04-14-2016, 11:21 PM
cancan485

keep all that hard earned money with you and finance it

Originally Posted by Black Betty
Kudos on being good looking, although without pics I'm gonna have to assume you look like a troll.

Money is so cheap right now that you should finance a car rather than pay for the depreciating asset with cash. Say you get a rate of 2.9% or better (easy with good credit). You're not paying very much for borrowing the money over 3 or 4 years. Leaving it in whatever you have it invested in is earning higher than 2.9%, so you're better off keeping it and earning money on it than paying cash for a car. Besides, I know you can get at least $8900 for that sweetass Cavalier becasue it's a collector's item.

There are no right answers for your questions. How much mileage is too much depends on you. Clearly you don't drive a ton, so having a bit higher mileage shouldn't be an issue for you. the market is full of used G's right now with mileage all over the place from almost new to 100K or more. Pick one that fits your budget. If you want one with under 30K you'll find lots of them.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
If i were you i will certainly finance it . dont give away all that money to them . you worked hard to raise it and remember this . one bird on your hands is better than 100 flying . welcome!!
Old 04-14-2016, 11:36 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Welcome to the site Cavalier Driver, hopefully you'll become a G driver soon, and maybe they'll let you change your username then, lol. I'd look for a 2012+ G and a RWD w/ Sport pkg will net you the most goodies out of the box.
The 2012s have the improved timing gasket which can be a costly fix in prior years.
G/L w/ your search.
Old 04-15-2016, 12:19 AM
Ricio1991
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by CavalierDriver
I have owned a 2004 base version Chevy cavalier for many years now, all manual except the transmission, it works perfectly fine, and it only has 72,000 miles, but the thing looks horrible. The interior is all cracked and faded. The paint's clear coat is all faded everywhere. I admit, I'm kind of ashamed to drive it, especially, considering I'm a good looking guy. Most people are surprised when they see my car, they probably expect me to drive something much nicer. I continue driving it because I didn't want to get in debt and wanted to save as much money as I could for my future, but I'm tired of driving a pos

I have some savings now and around 20k allocated for a decent car. I would probably continue saving until I get to at least 25k, so I still have savings for the car's maintenance. I always wanted a 370z, but the G37 is so much better looking and refined.

What is the ideal mileage that I should aim for? I mean what is the highest mileage I could get away with getting? Are these cars very reliable, where high miles don't matter? I could literally buy a G37 right now, but it will come with very high miles. I don't like that. I want one with no more than 30k miles if possible.

I have also been considering the Hyundai Genesis coupe 3.8, which I think is cheaper than the g37 in all years.

Would I be better off paying the car in cash full or financing the whole thing, and keeping the savings?
Hello and welcome If I were you I would like blewnt stated a 2012 RWD g37 sport would be great, if you don't need a four door a coupe would be ideal of not a sedan, I would say get one with 25k miles or so! I got my 11 sedan with 25k miles for 22k and I'm really happy about it! Good luck with your find and let us know what you get!
Old 04-15-2016, 12:32 AM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Welcome to the site Cavalier Driver, hopefully you'll become a G driver soon, and maybe they'll let you change your username then, lol. I'd look for a 2012+ G and a RWD w/ Sport pkg will net you the most goodies out of the box.
The 2012s have the improved timing gasket which can be a costly fix in prior years.
G/L w/ your search.
You took the words right out of my mouth Brad, even about the username lol!

Welcome to the forums man and I hope you find the car you're looking for! As stated by everyone previously finance over straight paying cash! Financing and making your payments on time and esp a little extra each month will also raise your credit score in the long run. You can find many cars with less then 30k miles for that price range!

Try some of these sites...

www.cars.com
Used Cars, New Cars, Reviews, Photos and Opinions - CarGurus
New Cars, Used Cars - Find Cars for Sale and Reviews at Autotrader

Also just type infiniti g37 (coupe or sedan, whichever you prefer) for sale. Should pop up a bunch of helpful sites. My advice is don't rush into the decision. The perfect car will pop up and you will be thankful you took the time to do research before pulling the trigger.

Best of luck with your future decision and keep us posted with what you do!
Old 04-18-2016, 09:42 AM
kickintheglass
Registered Member

Received 113 Likes on 79 Posts
Life is too short to drive cars that you don't enjoy. With that being said, I'd actually wait a few months to see how the Q60 stirs up the market. There will probably be more inventory of G37's in the market which would drive prices down and save you a couple G's at least. If your car is still running strong, time is definitely on your side.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:48 PM
Trolololol

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just went through this EXACT situation. Holy crap the semblance is scary.

I was driving a 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8 base model with everything manual aside from the tranny. No cruise control, no ABS, no ESC etc.......she has 72,000 on the odometer.

I work in a profession where image does matter and needed to get out of that beater. I looked hard for 6 months before finding my G on Long Island Craigslist.

She was originally listed for $19k, then a week later dropped to $18k, then finally $17k.......2008 6MT G37s Coupe and the best part was a milage, 21,450.

I read about the timing gasket issue but for that price and low miles couldn't say no. Had a mechanic check it out, put down a deposit and picked her up the next day paying $16,5k cash.

I've put ~1,000 miles on her in the past month and she drives like a dream. You won't regret waiting for the perfect car!! Might find something really nice for well under $20k if you wait. I see a ton in the $17-20k range with 40-80k miles.
Old 04-18-2016, 03:45 PM
kennyz424

Received 1,498 Likes on 1,271 Posts
^ That's a hell of a deal you got there! Very nice find! ^
Old 04-20-2016, 11:41 PM
g35g37fan
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Keep looking man don't give up! Ive been window shopping/dreaming for last several years and finally picked one up in december!

I remember last Feb I had found my dream car at a decent price, 2010 w/ 40k 6mt and IPL kit/sport exhaust but walked away

Thought id never find a clean G again (so hard to find) but found one again on craigslist, 1 owner, 41k miles, no accidents, and very very very clean (previous owner parked it) couldn't seal the deal waited a few months found it on a dealership lot and took it home for 3k less than blue book and what the owner was asking (2008 graphite 6mt for 15750)

Its an amazing car man you absolutely cannot go wrong! Literally cannot stop driving! 2800 miles in 2 months!
Old 04-21-2016, 12:30 AM
shakspereg37x

Hey Man!
All I can say is there is NO comparison between the Gen Coupe and the G37. Ive driven both. Yes, the Gen is cheaper but power? No comparison. I will tell you that I am Soooo happy. Me and my lady almost walked out of a dealership with a black on black Gen but lucky for us I almost got in a fist fight with 5 salesmen (long story) and that set us on the path to ultimately finding our g37 coupe. One thing to keep in mind, spend time looking! Dont be afraid to walk away! And NEVER pay for the extras, fees etc . Know EXACTLY what you want to spend and get a car at that price. Research the hell out of the model you want looking at price to mileage etc etc. you dont seem in a rush and thats good! But DO get a G! You wont be disappointed! I never really wanted to go above 35k but we ended up with her at 46k because she had her oil changed every 3700 miles and there was proof of it! Always a good sign!
Good luck bro!!