Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

New DFW-area G37s 6MT sedan owner

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 01:28 AM
CLR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New DFW-area G37s 6MT sedan owner

I just picked up a 2012 G37S 6MT sedan in Graphite Shadow last week, 35K miles. These aren't easy to come by! Had to have this brought from Houston up to the DFW area. So far I LOVE this car. Just what I wanted and then some.

I wanted a luxury-ish or better, compact or mid-sized manual sport sedan. I looked at a few new cars: The Mazda6 shifts and handles nicely and has an good-looking interior but you can't get real leather with a manual and it's underpowered (they need to bring back the V6). The Mazda3 s Grand Touring hatchback is fun and has 6MT + leather but the interior fell short of what I wanted and I figured I could do better than 184 hp. The manual WRX knocked my socks off, impressive power and handling, so much fun to drive, but the styling was a total disqualifier. Loved the driving so much I was tempted to hold my nose and buy one but I just couldn't get over that interior.

Used cars: I drove a TSX, and a 2.4 ILX (both 6MT) and thought both were very nice cars but didn't fall in love with them, and was hoping to avoid FWD. (And it's a shame Acura didn't carry the limited-slip differential over from the Civic Si to the ILX.) I really wanted AWD—I drove a G37xS with the 7AT and paddle shifters, just to see if maybe I'd like it (automatics are getting better all the time, right?) but I didn't care for it and knew I'd regret not getting a manual. The S4 and 335 were also attractive but I couldn't deal with the reliability and cost of ownership. Same concerns with anything VW.

I really wanted to try driving a TL SH-AWD 6MT, but this is like finding a unicorn. I'm in Texas and only saw these for sale a thousand miles away.

I had put off considering the G37S worrying about RWD in the winter, but finally decided I could live with that that during the few icy patches we have down here (I grew up driving RWD cars in the Chicago area). I drove a G37S coupe first, because that's the only manual I could find, and fell totally in love with the engine, handling, interior, everything, but wanted four doors. Then a white/beige G37S 6MT sedan popped up at Carmax in the area, test drove that and still loved it (other than the color), and had my wife drive it and ride in it to make sure she didn't hate it (she totally loved it). By then I felt great about having Carmax transfer a gray one up here for me, knew it was just what I wanted.

Aside from some Carsmo radio/AC ***** I'm not likely to mod this car's appearance much. No interest in louder exhaust or bigger wheels, etc. I love the understated nobody-knows-it's-a-racecar look. (I'm the weird one, not you.)

What interests me most right now is that RJM clutch pedal assembly. Will be doing some more reading here on that. If anyone has good mechanic recommendations in the DFW area (especially northwest) for a job like that I'd love to hear them.

Great forums here, I expect I'll learn a lot.
Old 10-22-2015, 07:57 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Great intro!
Nice that you found exactly what you were looking for after what appears to be quite a lengthy selection process.
I think you made the right choice (duh!), lol.
Nothing but stellar reviews w/ the RJM upgrade, I'm certain you'll be even happier w/ your G after that mod.
Now enjoy that G!