Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Wheel Removal & Spare Tire Kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2015, 01:11 PM
amciner28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wheel Removal & Spare Tire Kit

Hey Everyone! I've looked everywhere for an answer to this question and haven't seen anything, so here goes. I have a 2012 G37x and it has the spare tire kit that looks similar to the picture above, but not quite.

First of all, there are absolutely no instructions that I could find anywhere, including the DIY section of the owner's manual. Some of the stuff make enough sense, like the wrench to remove the lugs and the jack, but it also comes with a giant screw and the tiniest wrench I've ever seen. What the heck am I supposed to do with those?

Also, not sure if this sounds lame, but I went outside the other day to practice changing the tire so I don't look like an idiot if I ever got a flat. I parked the car and put on the E brake, then tried to loosen the lugs while the car was still on the ground to have the best chance of loosening them. Problem is, they absolutely won't loosen, even when I'm throwing my weight into it and trying to push it with my heel. Is this remotely normal? How am I supposed to get the nuts off?

Any insight would be appreciated, because I just got jack stands and a torque wrench so that I can do things like changing the brake pads, but I can't do that if I can't get the damn wheel off.

Thanks!
Old 05-30-2015, 01:48 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
Originally Posted by amciner28
Hey Everyone! I've looked everywhere for an answer to this question and haven't seen anything, so here goes. I have a 2012 G37x and it has the spare tire kit that looks similar to the picture above, but not quite.

First of all, there are absolutely no instructions that I could find anywhere, including the DIY section of the owner's manual. Some of the stuff make enough sense, like the wrench to remove the lugs and the jack, but it also comes with a giant screw and the tiniest wrench I've ever seen. What the heck am I supposed to do with those?

Also, not sure if this sounds lame, but I went outside the other day to practice changing the tire so I don't look like an idiot if I ever got a flat. I parked the car and put on the E brake, then tried to loosen the lugs while the car was still on the ground to have the best chance of loosening them. Problem is, they absolutely won't loosen, even when I'm throwing my weight into it and trying to push it with my heel. Is this remotely normal? How am I supposed to get the nuts off?

Any insight would be appreciated, because I just got jack stands and a torque wrench so that I can do things like changing the brake pads, but I can't do that if I can't get the damn wheel off.

Thanks!
Hi,
That big screw eye is your tow hook, there's a threaded insert in your front grill area for it to screw into. The small wrench is for 10mm bolts which are the most common under the hood. The jack should be placed between the recessed pinch welds on the side of the car, two on each side for jacking either the front or the rear. Don't place the jack anywhere else along the rails. As far as your lug nuts, try a breaker bar to get them loose, then use your torque wrench to set the proper torque (80 to 85 ft. lbs). More than likey the last time the tires were serviced somebody went nuts w/ the air hammer and over torqued them. That's one of the reasons I never let a shop mount my wheels, I always haul them home in my truck and mount them myself.
HTHs
The following users liked this post:
rdog (11-11-2015)