Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Lower the coupe?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 09:16 PM
MarcusC_Fin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lower the coupe?

As you all know the car already handles like it's on rail road tracks, has anyone lowered the car and noticed any significant change in the way it handles? Good or Bad?

Just curious to whether or not I should do that first or focus on the intake. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Old 08-19-2014, 10:00 PM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Nope, I don't think anyone's lowered the G37 yet. You can be the first! Let us know how it goes, maybe write up a thread about it? It can go in the sticky part of the newbie section, maybe even the suspension and wheel section?!
Old 08-19-2014, 11:12 PM
Gio37
Registered Member

Received 244 Likes on 166 Posts

You're killing me Nguyen
Old 08-19-2014, 11:13 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Nope, I don't think anyone's lowered the G37 yet. You can be the first! Let us know how it goes, maybe write up a thread about it? It can go in the sticky part of the newbie section, maybe even the suspension and wheel section?!
You have just snatched the pebble from my hand, grasshopper. I would call you a smug snarky *****, but I'm too busy being proud of you.

However, this thread is in the noob forum where noob questions are welcome and we should not jump on them. So the correct thing to do is to post a link to the thread in question and guide the noob gently into the correct way of finding readily available information. Or feel free to ignore these threads and let others with more patience answer them.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:28 PM
Razorr

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcusC_Fin
As you all know the car already handles like it's on rail road tracks, has anyone lowered the car and noticed any significant change in the way it handles? Good or Bad?

Just curious to whether or not I should do that first or focus on the intake. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
May I ask what car you had before this that you think it "handles like on rail road tracks"?
The following users liked this post:
GoFightNguyen (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 12:18 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,941 Likes on 4,174 Posts
I'll just say give this folder a good browse Marcus~
Brakes, Suspension, Wheels & Tires - MyG37
Old 08-20-2014, 09:13 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
You have just snatched the pebble from my hand, grasshopper. I would call you a smug snarky *****, but I'm too busy being proud of you.

However, this thread is in the noob forum where noob questions are welcome and we should not jump on them. So the correct thing to do is to post a link to the thread in question and guide the noob gently into the correct way of finding readily available information. Or feel free to ignore these threads and let others with more patience answer them.
Noted.

I usually opt for the ignore/link avenue, but the phrasing on this one got me.

"has anyone lowered the coupe before?"

Only about everyone, yours truly included.

Regarding handling vs lowering, lowering the car without changing a single other thing would theoretically increase handling by virtue of lowering the center of gravity. I think people overuse the idea of a car being "on rails", since there are precious few cars that I feel warrant the description even AFTER being modified, let alone stock.

The real handling benefit of lowering comes with the associated equipment you'll have to install. Springs, by necessity, will stiffen up as they get lowered, so you get more in touch with the road. Coilovers are the gold standard for performance suspensions in road cars. They allow adjustable dampening (sometimes), preload (sometimes), ride height (always), and spring rate. If you use coilovers to lower your car, then yeah, your car will handle better. Heck, if you put coilovers on and DON'T lower the car, it'll handle better than stock.

There are always drawbacks though. If your car goes on a trailer to the track then you can slam the **** out of it. If not, then you've got to contend with all the potholes, speed bumps, and driveways between you and your racing event of choice. If it's your daily driver, then you need to consider all the associated issues with driving a lowered car.

The ride will also be harsher if you lower it, since you'll need to stiffen up the suspension to avoid bottoming out.

If you want to improve the handling of the car, then the struts should not be the first stop. IMO, the sway bars are the place to start.

To preempt your next question, YES, people HAVE ever replaced their sway bars for aftermarkets.

The following 4 users liked this post by GoFightNguyen:
Black Betty (08-20-2014), blnewt (08-20-2014), Gio37 (08-20-2014), MarcusC_Fin (08-20-2014)
Old 08-20-2014, 10:17 PM
MarcusC_Fin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Razorr
May I ask what car you had before this that you think it "handles like on rail road tracks"?
I had a 2002 Camaro Z/28
Old 08-29-2014, 03:16 PM
CCM03

Received 26 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Razorr
I was thinking the same thing haha this car handles terribly compared to my ISF. i need coilovers and sway bars ASAP