Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

I Have $_____ , what can I do? (Performance)

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2014, 10:10 AM
Vance67

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Love this thread! Thank you for taking time to write it. I think this is awesome!!

One thing I noticed, in the $5,000 category, you mentioned long tube header and that only Fast Intentions makes these. That is obviously correct, but, I think you should mention headers, not just long tube headers, and mention that Stillen does make them. I was thinking about headers this morning and were trying to find other brands, but could only find Stillen, then found this thread, but noticed no headers.

And so you know, I would rather the FI LTH but, I have an emissions test every year and need my RHFC's

SO, IMO, I think you should add that, not sure what you think or others think about it.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:29 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Originally Posted by Vance67
Love this thread! Thank you for taking time to write it. I think this is awesome!!

One thing I noticed, in the $5,000 category, you mentioned long tube header and that only Fast Intentions makes these. That is obviously correct, but, I think you should mention headers, not just long tube headers, and mention that Stillen does make them. I was thinking about headers this morning and were trying to find other brands, but could only find Stillen, then found this thread, but noticed no headers.

And so you know, I would rather the FI LTH but, I have an emissions test every year and need my RHFC's

SO, IMO, I think you should add that, not sure what you think or others think about it.

I suppose that's fair. The point of the thread was "maximum" horsepower. Personally, I have HFC's, because I daily my car, and park in parking garages fairly frequently. I did consider throwing headers in there, but honestly, short tube headers (Stillen/Z1) provide relatively small amounts of horsepower increase relative to the long tube headers.

You still need to shell out 600 bucks for the shorty+testpipes/HFC install, so from a horsepower/install cost, I think the long tube headers is the wiser choice. I'll expound on some "road legal" alternatives in the second post.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:33 AM
Kuro
Registered Member

Received 183 Likes on 162 Posts

PPE also make long tube header.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:39 AM
Vance67

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
I suppose that's fair. The point of the thread was "maximum" horsepower. Personally, I have HFC's, because I daily my car, and park in parking garages fairly frequently. I did consider throwing headers in there, but honestly, short tube headers (Stillen/Z1) provide relatively small amounts of horsepower increase relative to the long tube headers.

You still need to shell out 600 bucks for the shorty+testpipes/HFC install, so from a horsepower/install cost, I think the long tube headers is the wiser choice. I'll expound on some "road legal" alternatives in the second post.
That makes sense.

I figured, showing what you can do with X amount of money would include max HP, TQ and street legal options...but I didn't take the time to write this.

For example, before I started to research modding my car, I knew no matter what the gains were, I had to keep it street legal. I'm not racing it and it has to pass inspection. So even if a part added more HP or TQ if I wouldn't pass inspection, it was out. But, something like this still would have been helpful as a cheat sheet.

Maybe, as you said, make a post of max HP & TQ and another if the person wants to keep the car street legal and pass inspection?

Just my opinion, I don't have the knowledge or time to write one of these up to what I would consider standards on the subject, so it's really whatever you or whoever wants to do.

I do appreciate you taking the time to do this, I think it is a great idea. Would be cool to have one for appearance and even electronics...but again, this coming from the guy who does not have the time or knowledge to write it up

Last edited by Vance67; 05-31-2014 at 11:20 AM.
Old 05-31-2014, 04:43 PM
Jack10525
Banned

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Decent thread over all but the prices are off. You should put a price range in there for each part. I've seen takeda long tube intakes for $375 shipped. Ebay is also an option. Full OBX exhausts go for $560 shipped. I'm pretty sure you could do intake and exhaust for well under 2 grand if you buy used or use ebay.

PS: if you don't install your own parts you are just throwing money away....
Old 06-02-2014, 09:27 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Originally Posted by Jack10525
Decent thread over all but the prices are off. You should put a price range in there for each part. I've seen takeda long tube intakes for $375 shipped. Ebay is also an option. Full OBX exhausts go for $560 shipped. I'm pretty sure you could do intake and exhaust for well under 2 grand if you buy used or use ebay.

PS: if you don't install your own parts you are just throwing money away....
That's true, but like I said before, this is my opinion, and represents "maximum" horsepower. There's nothing wrong with a takeda intake, but if you're interested in the highest horsepower gain first, and cost second, then I think my decision stands.

It's true, DIY and buying used is a good way to save money, however, that's not an option for everyone. The used parts market is subject to supply limitations, and I can't account for that. Similarly, DIY'ing headers is not something I recommend for someone who needs to be reading the "newbie" section as is.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:32 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

That makes sense.

I figured, showing what you can do with X amount of money would include max HP, TQ and street legal options...but I didn't take the time to write this.

For example, before I started to research modding my car, I knew no matter what the gains were, I had to keep it street legal. I'm not racing it and it has to pass inspection. So even if a part added more HP or TQ if I wouldn't pass inspection, it was out. But, something like this still would have been helpful as a cheat sheet.

Maybe, as you said, make a post of max HP & TQ and another if the person wants to keep the car street legal and pass inspection?

Just my opinion, I don't have the knowledge or time to write one of these up to what I would consider standards on the subject, so it's really whatever you or whoever wants to do.

I do appreciate you taking the time to do this, I think it is a great idea. Would be cool to have one for appearance and even electronics...but again, this coming from the guy who does not have the time or knowledge to write it up
I agree, and obviously, I have decided to go that route with high flow cats vs test pipes. The point of the thread was max horsepower. Maximum horsepower means maximum horsepower. I never added the "legal" qualifier on there. Also, "legal" means different things in different states and countries. Test pipes are legal in some places in Texas, I know, but some intakes are illegal in California and New York. Where do I draw the line on legality? I could spend all day and make 10 threads outlining the various legality of parts in different parts of the world, but to what end? I think it's far better for people to just educate themselves on the law in their own corner of the world and modify the list as needed.
Old 06-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Vizard_87
Premier Member

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts
Very nice and informative! Should be a good start for newcomers now you have to do an exterior section
Old 06-02-2014, 10:20 AM
Vance67

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
I agree, and obviously, I have decided to go that route with high flow cats vs test pipes. The point of the thread was max horsepower. Maximum horsepower means maximum horsepower. I never added the "legal" qualifier on there. Also, "legal" means different things in different states and countries. Test pipes are legal in some places in Texas, I know, but some intakes are illegal in California and New York. Where do I draw the line on legality? I could spend all day and make 10 threads outlining the various legality of parts in different parts of the world, but to what end? I think it's far better for people to just educate themselves on the law in their own corner of the world and modify the list as needed.
Very true!!
Old 06-02-2014, 08:17 PM
ConvertibleLE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I'm in the middle of your target audience here. This was useful.
I'm curious about one item:

"Grounding Kit ($40)
A grounding kit will help automatic transmission guys more than it will the manual guys. On the 7AT, it will clean up your shift times, it DRASTICALLY reduces the delay when shifting with the paddles, and increases your audio performance to boot. On the 6mt, you're the one in control of your shifting, but you still get the benefit of peace of mind and a better stereo experience. "

Could you give me some more details on this? Is the grounding / ground noise really that terrible in these cars? I had grounding problems with audio in my BMW, but I'm not hearing anything that sounds like grounding problems in this car.

Thanks again for collecting this all in one place.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:25 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Nice. You forgot to add though that stickers add +5WHP per sticker. Everyone should know this 0_o.
The following users liked this post:
GoFightNguyen (06-03-2014)
Old 06-03-2014, 11:10 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Originally Posted by ConvertibleLE
I think I'm in the middle of your target audience here. This was useful.
I'm curious about one item:

"Grounding Kit ($40)
A grounding kit will help automatic transmission guys more than it will the manual guys. On the 7AT, it will clean up your shift times, it DRASTICALLY reduces the delay when shifting with the paddles, and increases your audio performance to boot. On the 6mt, you're the one in control of your shifting, but you still get the benefit of peace of mind and a better stereo experience. "

Could you give me some more details on this? Is the grounding / ground noise really that terrible in these cars? I had grounding problems with audio in my BMW, but I'm not hearing anything that sounds like grounding problems in this car.

Thanks again for collecting this all in one place.
It's hard to quantify audio increases, since I'm sure there's more than a little placebo effect. What we need is a demo track to play for a double blind experiment. Basically, a grounding kit helps at best, and doesn't hurt anything at worst.
Old 06-03-2014, 11:42 AM
gsteigerwald

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
I just installed my Grounding kit over the weekend that I DIY from AZg37's DIY post and I can definitely tell you that the audio is louder. Obviously I have no proof to show, but IMHO it definitely is louder.

I have the 7AT and also the shifting is much smoother and quicker.
Old 06-04-2014, 10:12 AM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
[QUOTE=GoFightNguyen;3784493]Hello friends,

$150

MyG37.com Sticker ($6.50)
Obviously the best return on investment. Put one of those bad boys on your car and you'll FEEL the difference. Click on the link in my signature if you want one.

nice
Old 06-09-2014, 02:30 PM
Need 4 Speed

Received 86 Likes on 77 Posts
This is easily one of the most helpful threads I've seen. Kudos!

Quick Reply: I Have $_____ , what can I do? (Performance)