Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

Increase MPG mods.... any? how about...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 08:58 PM
WhiteAWDcoupe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Increase MPG mods.... any? how about...

Are there any real ways to increase MPG? i only have 5k miles on my car so im not sure what would be best to start messing around with first. I am modding my car but i dindt want to touch a dam thing under the hood but change the oil. Before this car i have a 520whp subaru so im not a complete noob. What i was thinking was to free up the breathing system with only these mods...k&n filters once i hit 15k and either now or later..test pipes? what they do anything for me?
Old 03-20-2010, 09:16 PM
G37Sam
Administrator

Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts
The best way to increase your MPG is to make your right foot lighter, maybe get a CF replacement? lol

Jokes aside, buying mods for improved mileage isn't so smart, unless you plan on keeping the car for 10 years or so, how much fuel are you going to save from an added 1mpg that's going to cost you $500? Someone with a 520whp Suby would know better hahaha
Old 03-20-2010, 09:21 PM
WhiteAWDcoupe

well, i do plan on keeping the car for a good amount of time. Besides buying lighter sneakers, im guessing the filters are the only thing that would help any? lol
Old 03-20-2010, 11:04 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Lighter sneakers, weight reduction, low friction/resistance tires.

Driver mod will make the biggest difference.

You may have had a big whp subie before, but the power isn't instantaneous as with a larger displacement engine, so it is MUCH easier to get lower mpg daily driving. Of course, at the track, I'd expect the Subie to do much worse.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:06 PM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
go buy a turbonator...power boost and mpg boost lol

(that was only a joke)

there are very little mpg mods. but if you're worried about mpg then you bought the wrong car. The only thing you can do is not drive aggressively and be easy on the gas
Old 04-07-2010, 03:19 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Light-weight wheels

Forgestar Wheels | The Worlds 1st 1 piece lightweight flow formed wheel lineup

PM me for more info.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:21 PM
hispeed-lowdrag
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
replace the entire body with carbon fiber...

Old 04-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Danny is right. Lightweight wheels are the EASIEST way to improve mpg, other than changing driving habits.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:48 PM
Wezbian
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's easy just replace your car with a prius...problem solved guys?!
Old 04-07-2010, 04:11 PM
BigBad

^^ or do a prius motor swap. It's the best mod ever!
Seriously though, the manufacturer already makes their cars as fuel efficient as possible, without sacrificing performance and emissions. The best you can do is get some K&N's and clean them regularly.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:20 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBad
^^ or do a prius motor swap. It's the best mod ever!
Seriously though, the manufacturer already makes their cars as fuel efficient as possible, without sacrificing performance and emissions. The best you can do is get some K&N's and clean them regularly.
Actually, infiniti doesn't make the car as fuel efficient as possible, else they would have added direct injection to the engine.

You can probably do intakes as well as lighter wheels. Aside from that, remove the spare, and that's pretty much it without going overboard.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:08 PM
BigBad

Originally Posted by crazjayz
Actually, infiniti doesn't make the car as fuel efficient as possible, else they would have added direct injection to the engine.

You can probably do intakes as well as lighter wheels. Aside from that, remove the spare, and that's pretty much it without going overboard.
Actually they were designing it. The new 5.6L in the 2011 M56 has direct injection.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:04 PM
ExtraCrispy
Registered Member

On a more serious note, is it possible to remap the ECU to increase mpg at the expense of some performance? Change the gearing of the auto tranny?
Old 04-07-2010, 11:34 PM
crazjayz
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by BigBad
Actually they were designing it. The new 5.6L in the 2011 M56 has direct injection.
I wish the came out with it for the 3.7L engine, if not for the extra 2-3 mpg city rating. But that's cool that the 5.7L has it; I wasn't aware it did.

Originally Posted by ExtraCrispy
On a more serious note, is it possible to remap the ECU to increase mpg at the expense of some performance? Change the gearing of the auto tranny?
Remapping the ECU is always a possibility, but you're going to seriously lose out on performance to there point where it's not worth it. You'll also have to mess with air:fuel ratios and make sure timing is right and whatnot. Essentially, you'll spend a bunch of time and money for what would amount to 5-7 mpg. Not worth it.

Changing the gearing would be nice though. I know people are going the opposite route by putting higher gears from the 370 into our car (or something like that) for better acceleration. I would gladly sacrifice 0.5 seconds to 60 for better mpg and the ability to get +30 mpg on the highway. I want 1 shift from 0-60 and my 7th to go out longer, possibly 90 mph @ 3k rpm. why do i have to shift at 24mph and again at 42mph just to get to 60?
Old 04-09-2010, 01:00 PM
tokyo_gaijin

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
lighter wheels, eco tires filled with nitrogen, keep tire pressure high. smaller wheels will do the trick too.
as far as driving, i am actually surprised how good fuel economy is on highways, but it sucks in stop and go, so basically when you drive in the city, try to predict signal timings, and avoid stopping. dont rev.

Quick Reply: Increase MPG mods.... any? how about...