Newbie Corner New Members Corner! - If you're new to MyG37.com, please take a moment to check in, introduce yourself and show us your G37!

I've decided to trade my Subie for a G37x. Good or bad choice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 07:45 PM
jdljr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've decided to trade my Subie for a G37x. Good or bad choice?

Hey all,

I have decided to trade in my 2009 Subaru Legacy for a 2010 G37x coupe with premium package. I'm wanting a 2-door coupe, AWD, automatic. There aren't that many cars that fit that criteria! I've always preferred 2-door coupes for their sportiness and still want AWD because I live in the mountains. While the Subie has been ok, it isn't exactly me...I'm not feelin it. Few little things I'm not crazy about with the Subie, and I'm hoping I'm making a good choice with the G37x. I have some questions that I'd welcome any feedback...

1. Would you consider a G37x a reliable car for commuting? Right now I drive less than 20 miles round trip to work but there's a chance that sometime in the near future I may be driving 75 miles round trip. I'm hoping that the G37 would prove to be something I could count on. I may not have to commute the longer disatance, but I'd like to know I could count on the G37x if I had to.

2. Living in the mountains, I like having the peace of mind of AWD, and I know the G37s AWD will be different than my Subie's AWD. Would you still think that the G37s AWD would be ok for living in the mountains in snowy, icy conditions? The G37s AWD is not full-time, but I would hope that it would still do the trick when needed.

3. I would have thought overall the Infiniti product is reliable. I've read some posts regarding the G37 while lurking the past few days that makes me think maybe the quality is somewhat questionable. I really don't want to spend a TON of money for the G37x coupe if it's going to prove to be a lemon. I know all makes and models have their ups and downs but I'd like to think the Infiniti has a great reputation for reliability. Wishful thinking?

4. I was considering either the Audi A5 or the Infiniti G37x coupe. Both are two door, AWD, automatic (the three most important things I'm looking for), but I've chosen the G37x coupe because I thought the reliability would be better than Audi. A5 looks classy, G37 looks sporty AND classy. Plus I have a Nissan dealership in the town I live (both Audi and Infiniti are 90 miles away) and thought I could get service completed at Nissan (I know warranty work will have to be at the Infiniti dealer).

I guess I just want to make sure I'm choosing a good product before I spend the money. I'm confident I am, but also like to evaluate other people's input.

Thanks G owners, I'm about to join ya!
Old 02-15-2010, 09:11 PM
Canadian144

Originally Posted by jdljr
1. Would you consider a G37x a reliable car for commuting? Right now I drive less than 20 miles round trip to work but there's a chance that sometime in the near future I may be driving 75 miles round trip. I'm hoping that the G37 would prove to be something I could count on. I may not have to commute the longer disatance, but I'd like to know I could count on the G37x if I had to.
Definitely reliable. We had a 2003 Mercedes Benz C320, by the time we traded it in for a G35x sedan in 2007 numerous things had been replaced. Catalytic converters, various computer controls, etc etc. We then had the G35x from Feb 07 - end of Dec 09 (almost 3 years) and the only "problem" we had with it was the sunroof gears started grinding in the Summer of 09, we took it in to get it fixed, the whole sunroof was replaced under warranty, no questions asked. No problems yet with the G37x (though only had it for just over month!), but I'm not expecting to have any either haha. We took the G35x up to the cottage (which is about a 3 hour drive there) and back NUMEROUS times, and never had an issue with that. My mom is the one who daily commutes with the car (it's her car haha) and it is about a 15 mile round-trip to her office downtown (though it takes 30-50 minutes in the morning, damn rush hour traffic!) and she has never had trouble commuting.

2. Living in the mountains, I like having the peace of mind of AWD, and I know the G37s AWD will be different than my Subie's AWD. Would you still think that the G37s AWD would be ok for living in the mountains in snowy, icy conditions? The G37s AWD is not full-time, but I would hope that it would still do the trick when needed.
Well actually in the G37x there is a button called "snow" mode near the seat heater switch, hit that and it "locks" you into AWD until you pass 15 or 20mph (don't remember the exact number, but in that ballpark). Without that switch pressed, the car would only "kick" in the AWD when it noticed you were losing traction. Basically if you are driving through a lot of snow or ice then just hit the switch and you will be in full-time AWD. The system works quite well, like I said my mom has the G37x and previous to that had a G35x, since she's had those two cars she has NEVER gotten stuck in the snow (previous to that she would always call me or my dad to help her get her benz w/ snow tires up a hill, it was actually quite difficult, that thing sucked in the snow!). I have an 09 STI (subaru represent! lol) and for commuting through snow, you won't notice the difference. When driving the car as a performance car, I can feel the difference between the two, but in terms of the AWD's system effectiveness when commuting, both are equal to each other IMO.

3. I would have thought overall the Infiniti product is reliable. I've read some posts regarding the G37 while lurking the past few days that makes me think maybe the quality is somewhat questionable. I really don't want to spend a TON of money for the G37x coupe if it's going to prove to be a lemon. I know all makes and models have their ups and downs but I'd like to think the Infiniti has a great reputation for reliability. Wishful thinking?
They do have a great reputation (see my above personal story haha). Previous to the 09 STI I had an 05 Altima SE-R, and that thing was bulletproof as well, never had any issues with it.

4. I was considering either the Audi A5 or the Infiniti G37x coupe. Both are two door, AWD, automatic (the three most important things I'm looking for), but I've chosen the G37x coupe because I thought the reliability would be better than Audi. A5 looks classy, G37 looks sporty AND classy. Plus I have a Nissan dealership in the town I live (both Audi and Infiniti are 90 miles away) and thought I could get service completed at Nissan (I know warranty work will have to be at the Infiniti dealer).
The other problem with the A5 is that you can't get it with the 3.2L V6 anymore, ONLY the 2.0T. While that is a fine engine in an A4, A3, or GTI, in a much heavier and larger A5, I've read that it is a little slow, especially compared to the G37. We would have seriously considered the A5 if you could get it with the V6. Not to mention similarly equipped, the A5 would run you thousands more.

I guess I just want to make sure I'm choosing a good product before I spend the money. I'm confident I am, but also like to evaluate other people's input.

Thanks G owners, I'm about to join ya!
Cool, it is a great product! Hope to see some pics soon (if you decide to go with the G!)

(Sorry for the novel, I get a little bit carried away haha).
Old 02-16-2010, 09:41 AM
Ryan D.

what makes you think you can't get an A5 with the 3.2 V6?

i just drove one a couple months ago. beautiful car, beautiful car...but not worth the ~$18k price difference between that and my 2009 G37x Sedan
Old 02-16-2010, 11:41 AM
Canadian144

That was a couple of months ago, I remember reading on Autoblog that the 3.2L V6 was discontinued. When I went to the build an price thing on Audi Canada's website 2 or so months ago, you could only get the 2.0T. Now I look and you can get it with the 3.2L V6 again (but for much more $$ of course).
Old 02-16-2010, 12:03 PM
soolman32

Received 127 Likes on 108 Posts
The G is definitely a great option. My other recommendation would be the A5
Old 02-16-2010, 03:07 PM
volnedan

If you live in the mountains, I recommend you buy set of snow tires as well, not just rely on the AWD. This is still a sports coupe with RWD-bias and somewhat performance all season tires. Subies are developed more for all kinds of poor traction, so it will prob perform better overall. Plus the power difference could factor in.

Overall I say launch on the G37x, its a great car and very reliable. I drive 30 miles each way to work and no issues (knock on wood)
Old 02-16-2010, 08:54 PM
jdljr

Thanks for all the replies, everyone, glad to see the overwhelming positive remarks! I am going to an Infiniti dealership Saturday to test drive and (hopefully) initiate a contract. I've already negotiated price and I think I got a good deal. 2010 G37x coupe with premium package for $36.6 plus ttl. Can you believe in the whole state of North Carolina (where I live) there is only ONE G37x? It's not the color I want and has more options than I want...so the dealership I'm going to will have the one I want trucked in - from somewhere.

Leaning toward white for the color, or liquid platinum. Stone/shodo interior. Lookin forward to signing on the dotted line!
Old 02-16-2010, 10:13 PM
Canadian144

Congrats man! Hope it all goes smoothly!
Old 02-17-2010, 09:47 AM
Ryan D.

Thanks for all the replies, everyone, glad to see the overwhelming positive remarks! I am going to an Infiniti dealership Saturday to test drive and (hopefully) initiate a contract. I've already negotiated price and I think I got a good deal. 2010 G37x coupe with premium package for $36.6 plus ttl. Can you believe in the whole state of North Carolina (where I live) there is only ONE G37x? It's not the color I want and has more options than I want...so the dealership I'm going to will have the one I want trucked in - from somewhere.

Leaning toward white for the color, or liquid platinum. Stone/shodo interior. Lookin forward to signing on the dotted line!

Congrats. I bought the platinum graphite '09. great color!
Old 02-17-2010, 12:42 PM
digitaldistorte

Personally, I'm of the opinion that if you're in the mountains, I would stick with the Audi. The quattro system is absolutely unparalleled. I don't trust electronic slip-detecting AWD systems. And you're not always going 15-20MPH when you need the traction of a locked in system.

My previous car was a 2002 Audi A4 3.0L 6speed and I would blaze up closed roads in the snow with just a simple set of snow tires installed on the stock rims (I had 19"s for summer ) There's just no matching the confidence an Audi has in the snow. I owned the A4 from July 2005 to Jan 2010 and it was 100% reliable - the only problem I had was it ate a set of front brake pads as one side wasn't clenching.

I bought a G37 because of the same reasons you want to - something with more speed & 2 doors, but I live in Seattle and it only snows infrequently here. But when it did, I was unstoppable...hills and all