Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

If you've never done a Track Day....

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 02:47 PM
usrsld

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
If you've never done a Track Day....

I’ve got two word for you… DO IT! I promise it’ll be one of the best days ever.

My son (2011 Kia Koup) and I (2010 G37 coupe) took the opportunity to celebrate our joint birthdays at Carolina Motorsports Park in Kershaw, SC. The track at CMP is first class – smooth pavement, plenty of run-off space, well managed, and FUN to drive. Our instructors were well qualified and the classroom instruction was helpful. The toughest things for me, as an old guy, were (1) “unlearning” the conservative street driving style imbedded over 35 years of driving (yes, I’ve always considered myself an aggressive driver) and (2) learning to trust the car. Until you’ve pushed a G37 near the limit you can’t properly appreciate the grip, handing and power – the G is a fantastically fun car to drive hard.

The (totally expected) downside is wear and tear on the car. Luckily I only got sideways once (with traction control off) and quickly straightened the car out again. I had noticeable tire wear and several pieces of rubber inside the wheels when I gave the G a good washing the next day. Brakes were also smoking after a couple of sessions and I’ll have them checked soon even though I only have 8,000 miles on the car. No other damage was done. Both of these items were acceptable byproducts of having that kind of a blast. (And I'm very particular about my car.)

Here’s pics of the happy participants…

Old 10-18-2011, 03:16 PM
xlack
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great review!! You have motivated me to go track one of these days. I have always wanted to do it but you know the usual excuses you tell yourself that's keeping you from actually going to one...
Old 10-18-2011, 03:44 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Do tell, what sort of things did you unlearn, or relearn?

That track looks reasonably good for a beginner too.

I've been wanting to do a track day on 2 wheels for quite some time, but never had the opportunity. I imagine it's a whole lot safer on 4 wheels though.
Old 10-18-2011, 04:46 PM
usrsld

Originally Posted by Jsolo
Do tell, what sort of things did you unlearn, or relearn?
The main thing for me was to stop easing on the brake as came into turns and just keep the gas pedal to the floor until the last second, then slamming on brakes to set up for the turn (then hammering the gas again). My natural instinct when charging down a straight (road) at 100 mph with a hard bend at the end is to start slowing down a lot sooner!
Old 10-18-2011, 04:50 PM
Gamedog
Sam Rothstein

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Awesome man.

Glad you and your son had a blast!

Man I'd love to do a track day with my old man haha
Old 10-18-2011, 05:00 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Very cool. I bet this is something your son will not soon forget.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:30 PM
JSolo
Just say no!!!!!

Received 588 Likes on 492 Posts
Originally Posted by usrsld
The main thing for me was to stop easing on the brake as came into turns and just keep the gas pedal to the floor until the last second, then slamming on brakes to set up for the turn (then hammering the gas again). My natural instinct when charging down a straight (road) at 100 mph with a hard bend at the end is to start slowing down a lot sooner!
Interesting. I drive similarly, even when cornering hard. In the two wheel world, aside from all the other things they teach, being fluid in throttle/brake application is highly reinforced. Grabbing a handful of brake right away instead of squeezing it can lead to a wheel locking up, which can have bad consequences (such as the front wheel washing out, or worse yet, a highside).
Old 10-18-2011, 11:48 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by usrsld
I'm sure your using an excited way of putting it, but I'd imagine it was actually taught as "smooth inputs" or something along those lines. Correct to come in the corner very hard and brake late prior to inputting anything into the steering wheel, but brake should be applied "smoothly" and smooth does not have to be slow, but should not be "slamming". Same with the hammering the gas - want to get into it quickly after apex, but again "smooth" inputs quickly.

It is def. an "unnatural" way to drive as you said. Typically people want to slow into a turn rather than waiting and really using the brake system. But, that's what gets you the best times around the track

Last edited by Ibanez540r; 10-18-2011 at 11:57 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:33 AM
usrsld

That's correct, Ibanez540r, smooth but hard... Guess I overstated the effect in my effort to describe the difference between track and street driving for a "first timer" like me. It took several sessions (we had 6 during the day) to begin getting the hang of it, but I thought I did pretty well later in the day.

And my son's intructor told the track workers he was one of the fastest learners he's ever taught. But then again, things come quick for an 18 year old and Logan has been playing racing games since he could hold an X-Box controller!
Old 10-19-2011, 08:31 AM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Very nice. I want to do the same next year.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:03 AM
Tazicon

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Excellent write up! I have been afraid to do a track day but I think you have talked me into it.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:34 PM
kaoticdemize

Received 36 Likes on 16 Posts
I have a done a few now and I agree, if you have never done it, do it, it is a learning experience in itself.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:51 PM
JEBperformance
Former Sponsor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Nissan/Infiniti brake fluids are DOT4. 446°F dry boiling point. 311°F wet boiling point.

If you want to protect your brakes and yet have tons of fun at the racing track. Consider RBF 600 or RBF 660 from MOTUL. Because MOTUL exceeds requirements set by Department of Transit.

RBF 660 best suited for dry track conditions.
617°F dry boiling point
401°F wet boiling point

RBF 600 better wet track conditions.
595°F dry boiling point
421°F wet boiling point

Plus fine mixture of chemicals with inhibitors better lubricate and cooling your brakes.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:00 PM
Djfarhan
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 65 Posts
thanks for sharing!
Old 10-19-2011, 09:21 PM
usrsld

Yep, like JEB said, I would recommend the Motul fluid. At the end of the final session, which was longer at 30+ minutes, I began to feel brake fade for the first time all day. (Of course, I was getting bolder with my braking too.) I will use it the next time I go to the track. And YES, there will be a next time!

Quick Reply: If you've never done a Track Day....