Motorsports / Track Th ultimate forum to discuss motorsports / track related topics for your G37.

Gingerman Race Track

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:57 PM
DetroitG37Joe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah im really considering it...its just i wanna do justice to the infiniti name by being prepared. im still very much a novice with my car.

especially since i have only been a semi-regular M/T driver for about 6 mos. or so...and even that with just about 450 miles per month on the G. This summer time to make up for that!
Old 06-11-2008, 05:44 PM
wireboltman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's still an opportunity to sign up.

I got this email a couple days ago.

Hello Everyone,

Our track day is quickly approaching! I have a few reminders -

First, there are still PLENTY of open slots available so if you've been holding off on registering please do so ASAP! We can still use some more participants as we are taking a loss on the event as it stands right now. Please continue to help us push this event and get more people to attend!

Second, there are quite a number of spots that still need to be paid for. Please check the list on our website and send your payments as soon as you can. If you have any questions about this please let me know. Total fee for this event is $175.

Attendees and payment status list can be found here -

http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/inde...howtopic=56967

Tech forms and such will be e-mailed out in the next couple weeks. Our tech policies have not changed so most of you know what to expect as far as that goes.

Hope to see you all in July!

Thanks,

-Jason
Old 06-11-2008, 08:43 PM
the-moss

I wish I could go to this.

I love Gingerman and have instructed there before. It's an easy track to learn, but very difficult to master. Probrably one of the safest tracks in the country too.

Wireboltman. I'm not sure which way you drive down there, but if you go down and through Chicago consider taking the ferry from Milwaukee, it saves a lot of time.
Old 06-11-2008, 09:13 PM
wireboltman

Originally Posted by the-moss
I wish I could go to this.

I love Gingerman and have instructed there before. It's an easy track to learn, but very difficult to master. Probrably one of the safest tracks in the country too.

Wireboltman. I'm not sure which way you drive down there, but if you go down and through Chicago consider taking the ferry from Milwaukee, it saves a lot of time.
Thanks.
I go East through the UP and then head downstate across the bridge. About 490 miles.

It's 300 miles to Milwaukee from here. Never thought about taking the ferry.

One of the instructors that races professionally told us that the Gingerman track is one of the more technically challenging tracks in the country, and that technique would trump horsepower. (Within reason, of course-)

This will be my 4th time there with the FX. I now run in the intermediate groupings and can hold my own with anybody. I was keeping up with a RS4 through the corners last year, but there's no getting around 450 hp on the straightaways.

I have a great time.
It's too bad you can't make it.

Thanks again-
Dave
Old 06-15-2008, 02:34 PM
jtkf81

been gingerman many times. i would recommend go there on wednesday or thursday afternoon when they have open track. i believe it is from 5pm 'til 9. 60-70 bucks per driver. i love gingerman track. that's why i don't mind driving 2 hours, one way at least once a month. go on weekday so there is less traffic on the track.
wireholtman, where in UP? currently i'm in houghton for school. originally from a2; ann arbor.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:35 PM
wireboltman

Originally Posted by jtkf81
been gingerman many times. i would recommend go there on wednesday or thursday afternoon when they have open track. i believe it is from 5pm 'til 9. 60-70 bucks per driver. i love gingerman track. that's why i don't mind driving 2 hours, one way at least once a month. go on weekday so there is less traffic on the track.
wireholtman, where in UP? currently i'm in houghton for school. originally from a2; ann arbor.
Just down the road from you in Ishpeming. I've autocrossed the FX up at Tech before. usually autocross at the old Negaunee airport, though-

We just drove up to the Calumet Theatre last weekend to see Johnny Winter play. Great show!

We always take a Fall color cruise up that way, too-
Old 07-08-2008, 08:46 AM
wireboltman

Last chance-
If anyone is interested, let me know, and I'll forward the whole email with the PDF files for the tech sheet and schedules.

Hello everyone!

This event is quickly approaching and I'm sure everyone is getting all their last minute mods and maintenance done.

Attached is the tech form and track schedule.

We typically go to Clementine's in downtown South Haven the night before the track day (Thursday, July 10 this time).

A group will be there at 7PM. If you can make it then and would like to join us please reply to this and let me know so we can make seating arrangements.

Please check the payment status page linked below as there are a number of people that still owe for this event -
http://www.taurusclub.com/forum/inde...howtopic=56967

We are still accepting registrations - if you or anybody you know would still like to sign up let me know ASAP.

See you in South Haven!

Thanks,
-Jason
Old 07-13-2008, 06:40 PM
wireboltman

Well, it was another great time at the track.
It was raining when we got there, but stopped just before the drivers meeting.
The track was wet for the first session adding another element of fun. No problem-

The weather started to cooperate and it got hot and muggy. Tires were gripping nicely. My KDW's are holding up very, very well. I'm quite pleased with them and will be buying another set.

This being my 4th time there, I've continually honed my approach to the 11 corners on the course. There are 4-5 of them that are pretty technical as far as hitting the sweet spot, thus making the lack of video even more disappointing to me. I nailed these corners down many times in my 45 laps or so. It's a good feeling when you get it just right.
The car likes it---you like it, and it's a satisfying sense of accomplishment. The whole idea is to make the car do as little work as possible meaning not fighting the car.
Unwinding the wheel as soon as possible while in a corner, getting the car going in a straight line as much as possible.
If you're going straight---you're going faster. Simple physics, I guess.

I held off a modified Porche for about 3-4 laps on one session. (There's usually about 8-9 laps per session.) Turns out an instructor was driving that Porche. She had started about 10-15 seconds behind me and it was about 1/2 way through the session before it was time for me to let her by. This Porche may well be at the Road America Vintage Races next week end.
I've been to a couple of them and this is the kind of car that would fit right in.

I also held off a ZO6 for about 5 laps, too. Same situation, except without an instructor driving.
He gave me a big thumbs up as I let him by. Felt good, I must say.

I never lose sight of the fact that these are not race cars, but they certainly are capable of amazing things.
I used to get a lot of eye rolling when I show up at these events.
The word is out, now-

I've been accepted in both venues as a legitimate entry and the FX has gained the respect of countless people via word of mouth when they go back to where they live.

I passed two Taurus's and one Mustang.

I let one heavily modified 1996 Taurus pass me, also. I really wouldn't have had to, but I was courteous.
He never really was right on my a$$, but then again, I didn't know if he was being cautious and gentlemanly, also. I let him pass me, but stayed right on his tail the whole rest of the session.
He told me afterward that when he was behind me he couldn't believe how well the FX handled as I was drifting around many of the corners. He said there was almost no perceptible lean at all. The FX remains virtually flat-
As he became a believer in what the FX is capable of doing---once again, so did many others.
Happens every time I go to an autocross or a track event.
I've blazed several new frontiers with this vehicle that many would not have thought possible.

These really are truly amazing vehicles. They can have a foot (or both feet) in several different worlds.
From the track to autocross to snow to being the most comfortable cruising car I've ever owned.

4 yrs later, I still have a smile on my face every time I get in the FX.
I've never owned a vehicle in my lifetime that I've enjoyed and continue to enjoy as much as this one!

2003 FX35 AWD DG-Willow/Blk,Sport,2.5" Custom True Dual System w/X Piping,V Force andTwister Mufflers,Stillen CAI,Z-Tube,+2 Timing,STB,1/2" Motordyne Spacer,Eibachs,Railess,Cross Drilled Rotors,KDW's,/Blizzaks,15LED Super White Running Lights,Hoen Xenonmatch Fog Lights

Last edited by Wireboltman on Sun Jul 13, 2008 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.