MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Aftermarket steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 03:23 PM
DjFromVA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket steering wheel?

whats good everyone?

I was just looking at possibly getting an aftermarket steering wheel when i get my g37 and i was just wondering is the swap easy to do, and is there a way for all the buttons on the original steering wheel(cruise control etc) to work with an aftermarket wheel some how?

And i have tried searching google/forums for some help but no dice

Any and all help/advice you can give would b great
Old 07-13-2011, 12:34 AM
_ant_

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i know Bill (WPPJR30) has one. You should PM him and ask him man.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:06 AM
NoMoneyNoHoney

What sort of "aftermarket" steering wheel are we talking about? Like a Sparco one or one that looks like the OEM one just with carbon fiber inserts?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:02 AM
ONEighty
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
You can get your factory steering wheel modified, whether you want thick DTM style ergonomic handles, with a flat bottom, wrapped in different leather, or done up in carbon fiber, we offer it. We can also do the plastic airbag trim in carbon fiber or a gloss black "piano" finish.

We have spare steering wheels so the work can be done before hand and mailed directly to you with a choice of keeping your factory steering wheel, or doing a core swap and mailing us yours back.

Tons of options available.
The following users liked this post:
Джон (05-03-2019)
Old 07-13-2011, 03:01 PM
DjFromVA

Originally Posted by NoMoneyNoHoney
What sort of "aftermarket" steering wheel are we talking about? Like a Sparco one or one that looks like the OEM one just with carbon fiber inserts?
probably looking for a sparco type steering wheel that still has the functions of a stock one if u get what i mean

@180 do u have any pictures of any custom steering wheels you have done?
Old 07-13-2011, 03:46 PM
Viper62382

I seen a wheel on here I liked. CF with the flat bottom. I want it. Someone sell me or make one for me. PM me
Old 07-13-2011, 03:51 PM
WPPJR30

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
No doubt about it, you'll be giving up some features/luxuries if you replace the stock steering wheel. Many people here will say it's absurd, but it's your car. You'll lose, most importantly, your airbag. (This is where many people will say you'd be a fool to replace the stock steering wheel. Perhaps, understandably.) It also means you will have the airbag light flashing on your dash - some could not live with that annoyance. (It is possible to create a bypass for this with some wiring and resistors. ) Also, cruise control and the controls for your stereo will be lost.

There are pros and cons.

I have a 330MM steering wheel. It's considerably smaller than stock, so it feels like you're driving a go-kart at times... Conversely, it takes more rotations for turning. Also, depending on the hub you get with the wheel, your directional and wiper controls will be at a different distance from your fingers than with the stock wheel. That takes some getting used to - I have to reach a little more to hit mine. It's also nice to be able to take the wheel off for ease of entry and exit. I often hide the wheel when I get out of the car when I am in an unfamiliar area. (The car can't be stolen if it can't be driven. )

Here are a few pictures:

Name:  2010-11-02195030.jpg
Views: 2642
Size:  67.2 KB

Name:  _S2L5530.jpg
Views: 1933
Size:  40.5 KB

Name:  IMG_1236.jpg
Views: 2768
Size:  69.4 KB

Old 07-13-2011, 03:52 PM
Viper62382

Ive got a Momo GTR wheel with quick release short hub on my acura. Wouldnt want an aftermarket one on the G tho
Old 07-13-2011, 04:23 PM
DjFromVA

Originally Posted by WPPJR30
No doubt about it, you'll be giving up some features/luxuries if you replace the stock steering wheel. Many people here will say it's absurd, but it's your car. You'll lose, most importantly, your airbag. (This is where many people will say you'd be a fool to replace the stock steering wheel. Perhaps, understandably.) It also means you will have the airbag light flashing on your dash - some could not live with that annoyance. (It is possible to create a bypass for this with some wiring and resistors. ) Also, cruise control and the controls for your stereo will be lost.

There are pros and cons.

I have a 330MM steering wheel. It's considerably smaller than stock, so it feels like you're driving a go-kart at times... Conversely, it takes more rotations for turning. Also, depending on the hub you get with the wheel, your directional and wiper controls will be at a different distance from your fingers than with the stock wheel. That takes some getting used to - I have to reach a little more to hit mine. It's also nice to be able to take the wheel off for ease of entry and exit. I often hide the wheel when I get out of the car when I am in an unfamiliar area. (The car can't be stolen if it can't be driven. )

Here are a few pictures:

your pretty much my new best friend, that looks awsomeeee, haha that interior is top noch!
Old 07-13-2011, 04:36 PM
DjFromVA

hey WPPJR30 heres another question i was looking at bride seats and there is ALOT of diff options of seats available, how did u decide that that seat would b what u wanted, did u sit in it previously? i was just wondering how ppl shop for seats, and did u need and aftermarket bracket for them to fit?
Old 07-13-2011, 04:55 PM
WPPJR30

Yes. You will need brackets for any aftermarket seat. I have had a few sets of different seats. Sparco, Corbeau, Recaro, and Bride. Again, pros and cons. Do some research. And keep in mind that JDM seats are geared towards Japanese drivers, who are generally smaller than us chubby Americans. Thus, a seat from Bride Japan is not going be as generous and roomy as a seat from, say, Sparco. It will be a bit more snug. (I have had friends sit in my car and their backs will not even touch the seat back because their shoulders are hitting the side bolsters preventing them from actually fitting in the seat.)

Other than that, I think some of your answers can be found in these threads.

FEW SHOTS OF MY INTERIOR

PLAYING WITH THE TRIPOD
Old 07-13-2011, 05:02 PM
myk1013

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by 180Custom
You can get your factory steering wheel modified, whether you want thick DTM style ergonomic handles, with a flat bottom, wrapped in different leather, or done up in carbon fiber, we offer it. We can also do the plastic airbag trim in carbon fiber or a gloss black "piano" finish.

We have spare steering wheels so the work can be done before hand and mailed directly to you with a choice of keeping your factory steering wheel, or doing a core swap and mailing us yours back.

Tons of options available.
How much would some fat steering wheel, flat bottom, + some carbon fiber cost?
Old 07-14-2011, 01:34 AM
DjFromVA

Originally Posted by WPPJR30
Yes. You will need brackets for any aftermarket seat. I have had a few sets of different seats. Sparco, Corbeau, Recaro, and Bride. Again, pros and cons. Do some research. And keep in mind that JDM seats are geared towards Japanese drivers, who are generally smaller than us chubby Americans. Thus, a seat from Bride Japan is not going be as generous and roomy as a seat from, say, Sparco. It will be a bit more snug. (I have had friends sit in my car and their backs will not even touch the seat back because their shoulders are hitting the side bolsters preventing them from actually fitting in the seat.)

Other than that, I think some of your answers can be found in these threads.

FEW SHOTS OF MY INTERIOR

PLAYING WITH THE TRIPOD

lookin good lookin real good
Old 07-21-2011, 01:39 AM
eVitO

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Sorry to thread jack, buuuuut:

Ooooh Mike Lee Photography. I his Amuse E92.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:42 AM
WPPJR30

Originally Posted by eVitO
Sorry to thread jack, buuuuut:

Ooooh Mike Lee Photography. I his Amuse E92.
Yes. Mike is a good friend of mine. His car is easily one of the nicest E92's out there...

The following users liked this post:
bigmike35nj (08-19-2016)

Quick Reply: Aftermarket steering wheel?