MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Help test pipe question.

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Jakex1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chekov
Well, besides the fact that we’re taking about Infinitis here, loudness is not really the issue, except for the fact they can often be discovered by law enforcement without looking under the car. Test pipes are illegal for street use in all fifty states because of the harmful contribution they make to our fragile environment. As in past threads on this subject, this issue seems to get ignored.
so when i take my car to the track and leave it idling all day and just burn up gas, who's gonna stop me? why dont you drive a prius instead of a G or buy a tesla?
Old 02-23-2010, 05:26 PM
ucla bruin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Haha let's now go down the road. We can talk about why we even have NASCAR, F1 or any other motorsports for that matter. Or why are we recycling, developing greener more environmental friendly cars.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:36 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Received 87 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted byJAXEX1
so when i take my car to the track and leave it idling all day and just burn up gas, who's gonna stop me? why dont you drive a prius instead of a G or buy a tesla?
In this case nobody is going to stop you if you want to act like a ......(I had some other terms in mind but they would be ungentlemanly.) And I drive a G37 because it meets all current emission laws and is a great car. I don’t have to drive a tinker-toy just to show my displeasure for illegal mods like test pipes.

Originally Posted by UCLA Bruin,
Haha let's now go down the road. We can talk about why we even have NASCAR, F1 or any other motorsports for that matter. Or why are we recycling, developing greener more environmental friendly cars.
Good point. Our society can certainly allow such motorsports as being reasonable. That’s why test pipes are OK on the track. But when we get to the point of driving on public streets with them, we’re looking at defiance of the law and a “I don’t give a crap about anything or anyone but myself” attitude in order just to gain a few more horses on the street from a car that can already do 155mph in stock form. I will never understand that mindset.
Old 02-23-2010, 07:33 PM
Jakex1

And I drive a G37 because it meets all current emission laws
So there is no problem with polluting the environment. as long as it is legal it is ok.

I don’t have to drive a tinker-toy just to show my displeasure for illegal mods like test pipes.
come again how a tesla or a prius is a tinker toy? one is a straight out sports car, and the other is a very fuel efficient. If anything the tesla shouldn't create emissions AT ALL. Isn't 40k more out of your pocket worth saving the environment if you are so adamant about going green? You dont have the money for it? i dont have the extra 100$ for a set of HFC's so there.

Good point. Our society can certainly allow such motorsports as being reasonable. That’s why test pipes are OK on the track.
Once again, you don't care about pollution, as long as it is LEGAL, it is OK. So if i have a strictly track car, that i track 10 miles every weekend, as opposed to a weekend driver that i drive 10 miles every weekend, both with test pipes, your only concern is legality? thank you it is duly noted, but i'll risk it, just like how people risk driving without front license plates.

on the street from a car that can already do 155mph in stock form.
This line just shows you aren't an enthusiast, but a guy who thinks "acceleration + speed, im set" Look at a any current production car from lotus. the fastest car there is 150, does it make the G37 a better sports car? no. Hell a miata from the 90's with a ls1 swap is a better "sports car" than the g37.

I will never understand that mindset.
we are enthusiasts, we don't just go from A to B, and we want to extract as much power as we can out of our cars, commonly put as the "mod bug".

From reading your posts it seems as if you are using legality as a way to push your "go-green" agenda on everyone who wants to do test pipes. And while it IS a good reason, (nothing wrong with trying to save the environment) some of us aren't on the same level as you when it comes to being green.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:54 PM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Jakex1,
I don’t believe you really understand my position at all. First, as you suggested, I am not an environmentalist. I don’t hug trees. Actually I fear lawlessness self-centeredness more than the foul air. In that regard I abhor blatant “I don’t give a crap about the other person” attitudes that prevail among some people. That sort of thing, that I never saw much of years ago, may be on the rise, and if it goes much further, our society is in deep trouble. Installing test pipes for street cars is just an example of this.

Your willingness to install test pipes and take that risk, as you say, shows the attitude that I’m speaking of. You don’t seem to understand that the risk, other than your getting pulled over (which I couldn’t care less about), is not just yours. The real risk is how your actions could affect others.

If more people felt like you we could eventually lose our ability to drive any performance car. Our government already is part owner of GM and is pushing the production of smaller, environmentally friendly cars there. It’s certainly feasible that some day you and I both would be driving Prius’ as no other cars would be allowed. Maybe then you would understand my position.
Old 02-23-2010, 10:03 PM
Gazan37
Banned

The truth is everyone on this forum has a passion for cars. Some are perfectly content with the g in its stock form. But others, myself included have aren't so easily satisfied. I for one enjoy a street car that is also trackable and can definately understand why test pipes are a great benefit to track preformance.

Illegality is not the issue here. We do not mod as an insult or in ignorance of the law but rather because of our passion for the vehical we drive. I believe a car in its stock form is a canvas and we by mpding driving and tinkering with it can create a unique artform which is experianced by all 5 senses.

Of course some of you may not feel that way, but I wamt to stress that our love for cars doesn't go hand in hand with a disregard for the law. We enjoy what we do an it is not because of an "I dont give a ****" attitude that we do what we do. Keep that in mind before making judgements.

Sorry for the typos browsing on my ipod
Old 02-23-2010, 10:14 PM
Jakex1

You know what i hate more than foul-air? Elitists. You really do think you are a better person because you "follow the law to the book" right, and can point at me and anyone else with a test-pipe and say "you are breaking the law!!"

“I don’t give a crap about the other person” attitude. Thats hilarious, tell me again,
how testpipes are interfering with someone else? the air they breathe? really? as opposed to anything else in the world that pollutes, oh right, its the law you are concerned with.
Too much noise? really? from a test pipe? i guess lamborghini should stop making cars because its not like it doesnt sound like a jet everytime my friends dad is parking his LP-640 in the house,(but it's ok if it's loud as long as it's legal right?)
On the topic of jets, how dare people open up airports? don't they know people are trying to sleep at night, o but its legal.
SOO moving on, I can disturb and annoy others with loud cars IF IT IS LEGAL, but if it is illegal and doesn't sound nearly as loud, FOR SHAME!.

YouTube - VRAlexander's CGT says 'Hi' to Beverly Hills
Especially this guy, he can annoy people as long as his cars stock,even though it's way louder than a g37 will be.(and i know you are going to say "thats excessive revving~") Yea so what about when he needs to accelerate quickly? naaaa he should be gentle on the throttle in-case someone is "disturbed"

Want to know why people are making more gas-efficient cars? its not because of "people like me" it's actually because people "like me" are scarce. Most people in the market are looking for a fuel efficient car due to the rising gas costs. Most people wouldn't mind a fast car, but with gas prices rising, having a gas guzzling car is a luxury when they can save so much on gas just by driving a prius as opposed to a Hummer(is that performance?) People are researching ways to get away from gasoline powered cars; so we are less dependent on gas? yes, to pollute less? it's true, it does tie into "moving away from gas, because people like me are putting test pipes in their cars? DOHOHOHO!

Ok, so you dont care if i put in test tubes nor are you a tree-hugger, why did you post 3 times saying test pipes will get us pulled over and about the environment? JUST TO SAY I AM IGNORANT AND SELFISH.

Final thought: "The real risk is how your actions could affect others" so how does that correlate with the testpipes. You are questioning my morals, behavior a, discipline. Even if everyone here with test-pipes had bought something that wasnt moddable, you are saying those people are a danger to society, because, "HEY, if they install test-pipes guess what else these crazy guys must do."
Old 02-24-2010, 01:51 AM
Chekov
Senior Citizen

Jakex1,
Your lengthy ramblings seem to reflect an attitude that goes along with a youthful outlook that suggests to me that we cannot discuss this in a meaningful way. Furthermore, you use that spurious argument where one bad behavior justifies another (something about loud noises at airports justifying test pipes ???). I am 73 and with my life experiences it now appears there is no point in discussing such topics with you, so I’ll just sign off and will not respond to your radical posts any further in this thread.

Look me up in about ten years (if I'm still around and haven’t died from a lung infection caused by air pollution) and we can pick it up again.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:16 AM
Jakex1

lol. so you pick the one part of my argument that fits the least to try and void the rest.

you seem to imply that because you are 73 that you know more than me about everything, and talk to me in a condescending manner, nope not elitist at all.

If you need the 10 years to give me a real argument, i dont mind. Just dont resort to ad hominems by calling me ignorant because i dont agree with you.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:29 AM
da mayor

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts
jake come out and smell a car w/ test pipes or HFC's..... you'll smell the difference right away
Old 02-24-2010, 02:38 AM
Jakex1

Originally Posted by da mayor
jake come out and smell a car w/ test pipes or HFC's..... you'll smell the difference right away
i know they smell more/pollute more, im not denying that. I've had experience with a hfc rsx + test piped 350z (the hfc's werent too bad though)
and if checkov just said, its illegal/pollute more and that its not a good idea i would have said "ty for the info and left it at that"

so i ask how its different if i burn the same gas at a track, it turns into an argument of legality.

it would have been easier for me to write exactly what gazan wrote and left it at that.
Old 02-24-2010, 04:27 PM
mastorian

wait so let me get this straight. if i install testpipes [which completely remove my cat] won't i get a check engine light or anything?
Old 02-24-2010, 04:31 PM
sbmwg37s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mastorian
wait so let me get this straight. if i install testpipes [which completely remove my cat] won't i get a check engine light or anything?
No you won't
Old 02-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Jakex1

Originally Posted by sbmwg37s
No you won't
i think some of them do. I think the resonated ones dont, but the straights need something like a defouler.
Old 02-24-2010, 05:38 PM
sbmwg37s

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Jakex1
i think some of them do. I think the resonated ones dont, but the straights need something like a defouler.
It's not a matter of resonator.
GTM, Fast Intenions, and others have J-tube on their TPs in order to prevent CELs, and no one gets CELs anymore. BERK TPs will cause a CEL, so you might need nonfoulers with Berk TP/HFCs

Quick Reply: Help test pipe question.