MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

is there any oil catch can?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 08:19 AM
AvosG37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is there any oil catch can?

is there any oil catch can? i wanna be safe.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:27 AM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
What do you need one for??? What oil are you catching?
Old 08-08-2009, 12:54 PM
SilverBullet

What is the benefit of the oil catch can?
Old 08-08-2009, 11:32 PM
kRAM
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
I was looking into this also and im not sure what the benefits are but you can try this http://www.350z-tech.com/zwiki/Build..._Oil_Catch_Can
Old 08-09-2009, 01:46 AM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverBullet
What is the benefit of the oil catch can?
I didn't feel like typing it out, so here you go:

"The rotating crankshaft churns up a lot of oil inside the crankcase. That vaporized oil fills the crankcase, which is pressurized by the movement of the pistons. If there were no ventilation, the pressured oil vapors would be forced past the piston rings ("blow-by") and burn in the combustion chamber. This would create a lot of smoke in the exhaust (often a sign of a clogged PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system). To prevent this positive pressure from creating blow-by, the block has a vent. This vent takes the form of a hose leading to a box on the side of the block. The box has a hose that leads to the intake. Because the intake creates a vacuum, the pressure in the crankcase is drawn out through the box on the side of block. There are baffles in the box that are designed to trap the vaporized oil and allow it to drip back into the crankcase. Not all of this vaporized oil is effectively trapped. This leads to vaporized oil being sucked into the intake. The oil will collect in the intake plumbing, including the intercooler. Some of the oil makes its way into the cylinders. This, too, can create smoke, but more importantly, will decrease the effective octane rating of the fuel being injected. The solution is to add another separate set of baffles before the intake tract in order to remove more vaporized oil. An oil catch can does this. A catch can is located on the hose between the original PCV box and the intake plumbing."
Old 08-09-2009, 02:04 AM
SilverBullet

Originally Posted by Staples
I didn't feel like typing it out, so here you go:

"The rotating crankshaft churns up a lot of oil inside the crankcase. That vaporized oil fills the crankcase, which is pressurized by the movement of the pistons. If there were no ventilation, the pressured oil vapors would be forced past the piston rings ("blow-by") and burn in the combustion chamber. This would create a lot of smoke in the exhaust (often a sign of a clogged PCV (positive crankcase ventilation) system). To prevent this positive pressure from creating blow-by, the block has a vent. This vent takes the form of a hose leading to a box on the side of the block. The box has a hose that leads to the intake. Because the intake creates a vacuum, the pressure in the crankcase is drawn out through the box on the side of block. There are baffles in the box that are designed to trap the vaporized oil and allow it to drip back into the crankcase. Not all of this vaporized oil is effectively trapped. This leads to vaporized oil being sucked into the intake. The oil will collect in the intake plumbing, including the intercooler. Some of the oil makes its way into the cylinders. This, too, can create smoke, but more importantly, will decrease the effective octane rating of the fuel being injected. The solution is to add another separate set of baffles before the intake tract in order to remove more vaporized oil. An oil catch can does this. A catch can is located on the hose between the original PCV box and the intake plumbing."
Thanks a lot for the info!
Old 08-09-2009, 07:24 AM
AvosG37

thanks staples, i couldnt explain them y i want it. i saw these on g35 n 350z n they make engine bay look cooler too.
Old 08-09-2009, 12:39 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

You do realize that this is talking about FI applications, right?
Old 08-09-2009, 09:19 PM
Staples

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
You do realize that this is talking about FI applications, right?
Actually it's talking about an all motor setup. It mentions an intercooler as an example of where oil can wind up if you are boosted.

An oil catch can is beneficial in either aspect. Low compression - boosted, or high compression - all motor.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:47 AM
Raven

yes, it would be slightly beneficial to have one. didn't look into PCV construction of our cars, think it's led to the intake manifold and the catch tank can be connected inline
Old 08-10-2009, 02:19 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Catch cans are common practice on a lot of vehicles. Some require it more than others. The supercharged Cobras would suck up a lot of oil. The modern Hemi's throttle body will cake up. The LS engines do the same depending on which intake setup is used.
I don't see too many people tearing into these engines so it's tough to tell how much oil is (if any) making it to the intake.

Oil in the intake is bad, that's why there are a lot of aftermarket catch cans out there. It doesn't need to be forced induction for this to happen.
Old 08-10-2009, 06:03 PM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
revup motors on G35 and 350z's use them all the time...everyone uses em actually its just a cheap assurance thing...thats all..my brother uses it on his lightning as well...had em on my 89, 99 and 03 gt's...and my 05 Gcoupe
Old 08-10-2009, 07:54 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Maybe I'm just ignorant or set in my ways, but I see precious little to be gained form it on a N/A car. I'll do it when I go FI because I can definitely see the benefit of it on boosted applications, but I really think it's overkill on the N/A VQ motor. Again, just my uninformed opinion.
Old 08-10-2009, 08:41 PM
NJlakeshoreG
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Black Betty
Maybe I'm just ignorant or set in my ways, but I see precious little to be gained form it on a N/A car. I'll do it when I go FI because I can definitely see the benefit of it on boosted applications, but I really think it's overkill on the N/A VQ motor. Again, just my uninformed opinion.
it really helps when a car has that blow by...when it burns oil, instead of going in to the intake plenum and sitting there, it catches in teh can and you simply dump it away or back in to the valve cover =0)

is it NEEDED?? no..not at all..does it hurt to have it? nope...
Old 08-10-2009, 08:52 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Some times it is needed. Some times it causes throttle bodies to gum up. In severe cases it may cause knock.

Catch cans are proven.

Quick Reply: is there any oil catch can?