MODDING 411 Aftermarket Parts Available for the G37: What's Good, What's Not, Where to Go etc.

Betty's Garage Grounding Wires Installed - Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 03:00 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
I see the reviewer in post number 1 did a ECU Reset. Have other done this, and is it a requirement? I assume you need the right computer tools to perform this yourself.
Resetting the ECU is not necessary, the car will "relearn" after any modifications you make to it. The ECU reset procedure makes this process immediate rather than adaptive. I have no idea how long it takes for the car to adapt to mods on it'[s own, there has been no definitive authoritative answer to this question.

Here's the ECU reset procedure. It doesn not require any tool or special technical knowledge, just good timing and patience.
https://www.myg37.com/forums/d-i-y-i...isconnect.html
Old 11-12-2009, 01:22 PM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 2008G-Man
I see the reviewer in post number 1 did a ECU Reset. Have other done this, and is it a requirement? I assume you need the right computer tools to perform this yourself.

nope more like a function of the install.
Old 11-12-2009, 01:32 PM
finagle69

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Also, if the install takes you around 20 minutes, your ECU will be reset due to the battery negative cable being disconnected. So no need to perform the ECU reset procedure.
Old 11-12-2009, 02:15 PM
Triple_X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
took me and one other person about an hour..... and yes we did snap off a few engine cover screws that I can not get out
Old 11-12-2009, 02:42 PM
whiddles
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
wow. my kit works great as well. install was easy for me thanks to BB he did it all mostly himself in nissan's parking lot
Old 12-22-2009, 04:28 PM
CooGAR

OK....being new to the forum and my G37.....what is this grounding kit and what's the purpose of it??

I've seen BB's "ad" under his posts for the grounding kit, but I thought it had to do with stereo mods.....

Thanks!!
Old 01-20-2010, 10:01 PM
wingzero1

CooGAR - read this:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/misc-ve...ally-here.html
Old 02-22-2010, 01:14 AM
cdebnil

Adding my review:

Got BB's grounding wires installed today. Quick review for my 2008 G37 Base Auto

First, I'm extremely particular about hardware software communications. I used to program DCS controllers for refinery's and petrochemical plants and really am **** when it comes to the subject. That being said, I always felt the G37's 5 speed auto was extremely lacking smoothness and the throttle response was laggy. I didn't know at the time though that this could be improved with a simple grounding kit. BB is modest and careful with his claims, but as someone who had a chance to actually try it out, I will make some claims:

Throttle response is improved drastically: This kit definitely makes the throttle response much faster. Before the kit, the throttle was laggy...almost like it was deciding if I really wanted to give it gas. It was extremely annoying to me since I have always been used to non-drive by wire cars and was used to instant acceleration when increasing throttle input. After the kit, throttle response was drastically improved. Acceleration is instantaneous and pretty much no lag what so ever.

Transmission is more confident of itself: The 2008 G37's 5 speed auto in my opinion seemed very unsure of itself and lacked confidence. I always felt that it was hunting for the correct gear to be in and was unsure of what gear it should be in in various conditions and various levels of throttle input. The kit fixed all of this mess for me. The shifts are extremely smooth and the transmission feels a lot more confident. Shifts are faster, more exact, and always seem to be in the gear that i would have put it in if it was a manual. I love it!

Radio sounds better and is louder: Since I have the G37 base, I am lacking an Ipod connection. So I use my aux port for my Iphone. When I would switch from Sat radio to my iphone I would always have to turn down the bass. My optimal level was 4 notches + for sat radio and one notch + for my iphone. After the kit, I noticed immediately that my bass was deeper. For the first time since I bought the car, I needed to modify where I put the bass settings. Also it feels like the audio quality is improved and my radio is louder.

All in all, I'm extremely happy with this kit. In a way I'm annoyed that such a simple little low cost upgrade can make such a huge difference. Why doesn't the car come this way from the factory? At least we have BB to solve this issue. If you are on the fence on whether or not to get these, go ahead and jump off it and order them. They definitely make a difference and they are a must have for anyone with an Auto!!
Old 05-25-2010, 12:23 AM
chubzl27

i might order mine tonight
Old 07-19-2010, 11:23 PM
autoexebatse

I just got the 2010 G37S Journey 6MT ... not sure if the 2010 is limited or not but I will take a look under the hood and check it out .
Old 08-07-2010, 09:32 PM
catch228

Works great

Just finished installing on my 2010 Journey Sedan (Auto). Took it for a short test drive. Seems like the throttle is a little more responsive. In manual mode shifting is noticeably faster both up and down. Definitely worth it!

Great job Black Betty!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:45 PM
Black Betty
Lexus Defector

Received 2,087 Likes on 1,267 Posts
Thanks for the love guys. Still selling these. Still helping the laggy AT in our cars perform a little smoother.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:21 PM
tejasg37x

Originally Posted by finagle69
all of these grounding upgrades are intended to reduce or eliminate the bottleneck of smaller gauge wires. the main path of electricity is from:

Batt + > Alternator > Engine > Chasis > Batt -
Sorry, I know it's old, but I had to make a small correction here...

Electron flow is actually from - to +

Last edited by tejasg37x; 10-20-2011 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:32 PM
Itchytoe

Even with DC, it's more of a hot and a ground than a negative and a positive. After all, it is a grounding kit that you're installing, not a negative kit or positive kit.
Old 10-20-2011, 07:58 PM
tejasg37x

True...just responding to the "path of electricity" comment part.
In the "path of electricity", FLOW is actually from ground to positive, not the other way like most think.

Quick Reply: Betty's Garage Grounding Wires Installed - Impressions