Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Mesh grille with Takeda long tube intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2021, 11:35 PM
SoutherTierVQ
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mesh grille with Takeda long tube intake

So I have the Takeda intake on my car. I want to run a mesh grille to expose the piping and filter. I’m just worried about rain/snow, living in NY. So I figured I have 2 options. The filter barely fits in there with the stock grille right now. It’s not touching but there’s a 0% chance that the Takeda shield will fit in. Would a mesh grille give more clearance? If not, I’m considering switching to dual filters and putting filter socks over them. Does anyone have any experience with this. I would love to see those pipes shining through, but not at the risk of hydro lock. Any input is welcome. Thanks.
Old 06-09-2021, 03:23 PM
hexotic
DIY Cheapskate/Mod

Received 587 Likes on 392 Posts
Well, you would automatically get more performance swapping to 2 filters. Like the Z1 race filters for example. Filters that come oiled like z1 or K&N require a bit of maintenance but are generally hydrophobic. A sock still goes a long way though. The takeda shield hits the support plastic thing of the bumper, not the grille itself, so it wont make much difference. That part isnt part of the grille, its a part of the bumper cover. I ran my z1 filters through some insane rainy weather with a mesh grille and didnt have any issues, but my paranoia made me fab up some water shields just in case.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:10 PM
infiniticarplug
Registered Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I have the takeda intake and went to the 2 filters. I trimmed the back piece of the grill after I got the high gloss black oem style grill and its fine more than enough clearance. Just do the 2 filters with the 2 socks on them I havent had any issues and we had the ridiculous snow this year in NJ.