Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Intakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 02:14 AM
JohnnyShorts

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intakes

So here’s the deal... I’m looking to upgrade my intake and I’ve been doing some research...but the more I dig the more confused I get. My G is my daily driver, but I still want something that’ll provide the best performance, efficiency and maintenance. I know that with Stillen it’s apparently a pain in the *** to install and costs more, but realistically I just want the best overall part. So that leads me to this...what are your opinions, reviews, feedback etc on
•Stillen Gen3
-Takeda Stage2
-K&N Blackhawk 71

Also, what is the difference between the short and long pipe intakes? Advantages...Disadvantages...?

Thanks In Advance 👍
Old 09-02-2018, 03:57 PM
MerakiAutoworks
Your #1 Infiniti Vendor!

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
From our experience we would go with a long ram Takeda intake, installation is a lot harder than the short ram though.

-Josh
Old 09-02-2018, 06:07 PM
KidJai06
Registered Member

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnnyShorts

Also, what is the difference between the short and long pipe intakes? Advantages...Disadvantages...?

Thanks In Advance 👍
There are lots of posts about long tube vs. short ram intakes. The short version is the short ram are an easy install and subjectively speaking may sound a little better. The long tubes move the filters out into space where where they are collecting cooler air rather than sucking warm/hot air from engine bay, which in turn makes the engine happier. The install is a bit more involved and requires very mild modification (some claim you don't have to, but you should) to allow the piping to fit properly. The big 2 are Takeda vs. Stillen. Takeda many would say looks nicer mostly because MAF sensor placement is more clean, it also has 1 filter design which realistically, isn't likely to be a terrible thing but many question whether joining the two sides together is counterproductive. Stillen on the other hand is a dual-filter design. I don't think you can really go wrong either way both are well used and liked.

At the end of the day however simply bolting it on.... you're not getting much bang for your buck. It'll look nicer, sound a little nicer (than OEM). The OEM design is pretty good on its own as its drawing air from basically the same location as Stillen and Takeda (but from your picture looks like short ram was already done). Tuning is best to really maximize the potential of aftermarket components.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:37 PM
strodda
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Ive seen a video on the Stillen installation and its not that difficult. A basic dremel to cut a little plastic and it can be installed without bumper removal(only front grill). Ive been e-tuning with Sebastian and based on his experience, the Admin Tuning makes the most power, but next on the list was the Stillen Gen3. He even told me he'd rather have a stock box over a SRI, such as yourself(and myself currently). After hearing from Seb, I ordered a Gen3, due to be here Wednesday, woohoo!
Old 09-04-2018, 09:57 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
Or you can re-install your stock airboxes, swap out the bendy straw section for silicone and drop in K&N filters.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:24 PM
jrb55gh
Registered Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by strodda
Ive seen a video on the Stillen installation and its not that difficult. A basic dremel to cut a little plastic and it can be installed without bumper removal(only front grill). Ive been e-tuning with Sebastian and based on his experience, the Admin Tuning makes the most power, but next on the list was the Stillen Gen3. He even told me he'd rather have a stock box over a SRI, such as yourself(and myself currently). After hearing from Seb, I ordered a Gen3, due to be here Wednesday, woohoo!
How about the AAM Competition S-line intakes? They eliminate the pressure loss due to the sudden expansion of the air flow after the MAF sensors.
Old 09-06-2018, 10:31 PM
strodda
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by jrb55gh
How about the AAM Competition S-line intakes? They eliminate the pressure loss due to the sudden expansion of the air flow after the MAF sensors.
I do not know a lot or any about the physics behind the potential issue. But I thought it was just an issue of the sensors detecting too much air and causing running issues. For example the admin tuning intake is a 3" pipe and I believe I heard that tuning is required to run properly. That AAM looks very similar in design to the stillen, and they're both 2.75" but the addition of the insert probably slows the flow of air to help the car run better in stock form and minimize leaning out.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:20 PM
NoPainNoglory

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RMB5190
Or you can re-install your stock airboxes, swap out the bendy straw section for silicone and drop in K&N filters.
Anyone done this? Pics?
Old 09-18-2018, 07:35 PM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
I have the Z1 intake tubes but haven't added the K&Ns. Have 'em but not sure I'll use them.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:29 AM
RMB5190
Super Moderator

Received 500 Likes on 429 Posts
I can't imagine it being that hard. Just buy silicone sleeves and drop in filters...Honestly, if I could do it again, this is the route I'd take vs spending cash on pipe.