Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

broke the stud on my cat when installing sport muffler. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2018, 12:22 AM
R2-D2
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
broke the stud on my cat when installing sport muffler. HELP!

i was trying to unscrew the damn nuts off the stud on the cat so i can install the sport muffler but they were so rusted it was impossible. eventually i broke one off completely. the stud broke in half with the nut still stuck on it. i know the other 3 are gonna do the same if i keep trying. how do i get rid of the broken stud? is there any possible way i can replace it or am i going to have to drill inside through the stud and just get a regular nut and bolt. how do i salvage the last 3. is there any way to loosen them up? i tried wd-40 and nothing helped.
Old 05-24-2018, 06:14 AM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Did you let them soak in a penetrating oil at all first
Old 05-24-2018, 06:17 AM
The Pope
Registered Member

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts
For the broken one.... you're going to have to do the drill it out just enough to be able to collapse the outer threaded part of the stud so that it can be removed. This is to save the threads in the CAT. New studs can be acquired from an Infiniti dealer.

For the others that haven't broken yet.... WD40 or some of the other penetrating products would be my 1st choice and let them soak for a while (hours) and repeated applications. There's another mixture that someone has mentioned before that they used, so hopefully they will chime in with that information. Also, if you can clean any of the exposed threads of the two remaining studs that the nuts will be threading off of with a wire brush (ideally with a Dremel and a wire wheel), that will help the keep them from binding as you attempt to remove them.

Good luck and I do feel your pain as I've been there and have done that.
Old 05-24-2018, 07:46 AM
Baadnewsburr
Super Moderator

Received 319 Likes on 276 Posts
Originally Posted by The Pope
There's another mixture that someone has mentioned before that they used.
its a 50/50 mixture of acetone and ATF

Regular WD-40 is not a penetrate (although they now make one under their brand)

PB-Blaster is a really good penetrant

you can also get replacement studs at places like autozone or lowes instead of the dealship

good luck!
Old 05-24-2018, 10:53 AM
slartibartfast
Super Moderator

Received 836 Likes on 715 Posts
Blnewt swears by the acetone/ATF mixture. Let it soak overnight.
Old 05-24-2018, 10:20 PM
R2-D2
Registered Member

thanks for the replies. i had actually tried to penetrants before and nothing seemed to work on those bolts and as for the broken stud, would i be able to just replace it with a nut and bolt or would that be a bad idea? what am i looking for when going autozone or lowed for studs? will is specifically say car stud or what?
Old 05-24-2018, 10:23 PM
R2-D2
Registered Member

Originally Posted by The Pope
For the broken one.... you're going to have to do the drill it out just enough to be able to collapse the outer threaded part of the stud so that it can be removed. This is to save the threads in the CAT. New studs can be acquired from an Infiniti dealer.

For the others that haven't broken yet.... WD40 or some of the other penetrating products would be my 1st choice and let them soak for a while (hours) and repeated applications. There's another mixture that someone has mentioned before that they used, so hopefully they will chime in with that information. Also, if you can clean any of the exposed threads of the two remaining studs that the nuts will be threading off of with a wire brush (ideally with a Dremel and a wire wheel), that will help the keep them from binding as you attempt to remove them.

Good luck and I do feel your pain as I've been there and have done that.
theres actually 3 remaining studs... im not sure if i got it right when calling it a cat but its the part where the muffler attached to the rest of the car... theres two pipes that connect by bolting, and each pipe has 2 studs and 2 nuts on each. i think it might be called a flange. its a diamond shaped plate
Old 05-25-2018, 11:38 PM
Surfnazi
Registered Member

Received 176 Likes on 165 Posts
Just take it to an exhaust shop
Old 07-23-2018, 02:54 PM
m3clubracer
Registered Member

Received 81 Likes on 74 Posts
Remove all visible rust with a circular wire brush in a dremel. Then soak it with 50/50 A/ATF and tap the fastener with a wrench to make the vibrations drive the mixture into the joint. If that doesn't work then heat. If that doesn't work replace circular wire brush with cutoff wheel. Happy cutting.

I have used hot candle wax on warm/hot fasteners but they weren't rusted. It works great.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:40 PM
Lego_Maniac
Registered Member

Received 506 Likes on 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Surfnazi
Just take it to an exhaust shop

This is the bet advice at this point. If they're that corroded and rusted on, let an exhaust shop deal with it.