Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Need advice on aftermarket resonator for drone

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2018, 06:20 AM
afrayedknot
Registered Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Need advice on aftermarket resonator for drone

I have a g37x sedan with a muffler delete and 2.5" pipe from stock resonators. Right now there is an excessive amount of drone at 1500-2000 rpm. I want to find a way to minimize this with the addition of resonators. I was thinking of replacing the stock resonators with 12" Vibrant 1790 or possibly the Vibrant 1141 ultra quiet resonator. Will this make a big impact on lowering the drone? Or is there a much better alternative that I am not aware of?

Thanks for any input.

Last edited by afrayedknot; 03-04-2018 at 06:36 AM.
Old 03-04-2018, 11:03 AM
guy from norcal
Registered Member

Received 352 Likes on 316 Posts
I would try the ultra quiet resonator. Or maybe this

I have read on several mustang and pontiac forums that guys have used the helmholtz resonators with good results.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:18 AM
afrayedknot
Registered Member

I think I'm going to go with the ultra quiets. I've seen your videos when you were running the 1794s with muffler delete, and it was a bit loud for me.

The helmholtz/j-pipes are a really interesting solution that I considered, but I feel like I should get the deepness in the exhaust tone I want first, before I start eliminating the drone. My hope is that I will be able to deepen the tone while also eliminating some drone with the vibrant ultra quiet resonators.

My concern now is whether I should use the same size in/out diameter of the oem resonator (2.25") or match the new 2.5" pipe when I install the vibrant ultra quiet. It seems that the difference would be whether the flow of air travels from 2.25" to 2.5" before or after the resonator.

Logically, I would think that the 2.5" in/out would be better because the exhaust flows in at 2.5" and exits at 2.5", whereas if I used 2.25" the flow of air would be slightly altered as the piping increased to 2.5". Am I correct that the change in the diameter of the in/out will change the pressure within the resonator? If so, that would lead me to think that 2.5" from the Y-pipes to 2.5" out to mid pipe should be the better option.
Old 08-04-2018, 01:07 PM
sidestepca
Registered Member

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by afrayedknot
I think I'm going to go with the ultra quiets. I've seen your videos when you were running the 1794s with muffler delete, and it was a bit loud for me.

The helmholtz/j-pipes are a really interesting solution that I considered, but I feel like I should get the deepness in the exhaust tone I want first, before I start eliminating the drone. My hope is that I will be able to deepen the tone while also eliminating some drone with the vibrant ultra quiet resonators.

My concern now is whether I should use the same size in/out diameter of the oem resonator (2.25") or match the new 2.5" pipe when I install the vibrant ultra quiet. It seems that the difference would be whether the flow of air travels from 2.25" to 2.5" before or after the resonator.

Logically, I would think that the 2.5" in/out would be better because the exhaust flows in at 2.5" and exits at 2.5", whereas if I used 2.25" the flow of air would be slightly altered as the piping increased to 2.5". Am I correct that the change in the diameter of the in/out will change the pressure within the resonator? If so, that would lead me to think that 2.5" from the Y-pipes to 2.5" out to mid pipe should be the better option.
You ever figure out if 2.25' to a 2.5 is okay? also how is it sounding my 1790's are on the way and im getting them welded in with a muffler delete
Old 08-23-2018, 09:38 AM
afrayedknot
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sidestepca
You ever figure out if 2.25' to a 2.5 is okay? also how is it sounding my 1790's are on the way and im getting them welded in with a muffler delete
I actually haven't made any changes to the exhaust yet. I am, and have been, vacillating between going the custom or aftermarket route. However, if I decided to continue customizing the exhaust I have now, I would swap the oem resonators with a pair of 2.5" vibrant 1794 resonators. Otherwise I am going to try and find a used ARK grip.