Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Tanabe question

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 10:41 AM
ZahyMatar
Registered Member

Received 339 Likes on 233 Posts
Originally Posted by dmallen2010
What size/length/brand of resonator did you replace the stock ones with? Thanks
I believe this is what you're looking for.

Originally Posted by guy from norcal
I replaced the oem resonators with a pair of vibrant resonators part # 1790
2 1/4" and from y pipe back is now 2 1/4 pipe all the way back to the tanabes.I am very happy with the sound. (and if i knew i was going to spend about $850 i would have done a full cat back! )
video of my wife driving http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptMYtXidfaY
Old 02-01-2016, 05:43 PM
Rick in NC
Loony Tunes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went with the ones listed in that post. Do a google search for vibrant resonators part # 1790. They worked out perfectly and the sound was just right, not too loud but enough above 3500 RPM to know something is happening without being obnoxious.
Old 02-27-2016, 05:34 PM
Rennies5

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Rick in NC
I went with the ones listed in that post. Do a google search for vibrant resonators part # 1790. They worked out perfectly and the sound was just right, not too loud but enough above 3500 RPM to know something is happening without being obnoxious.
Rick in NC - Just for clarification, did you use the stock midpipe and modify it by replacing the resonators with the #1790's? I am seriously considering modifying the resonators so any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks...
Old 02-27-2016, 05:58 PM
Rick in NC
Loony Tunes

That is correct. Stock resonators were cut out and new ones added in their place.
Old 02-27-2016, 06:28 PM
Rennies5

Originally Posted by Rick in NC
That is correct. Stock resonators were cut out and new ones added in their place.
Thanks for the response. Do you happen to have a sound clip? Did you replace the exhaust pipe with a larger diameter after the resonators? Sorry for all the questions but I'm having a hard time coming up with an exhaust that isn't too loud, doesn't have drone or isn't simply too close the OEM. I really appreciate your insight.
Old 02-29-2016, 12:23 AM
Rick in NC
Loony Tunes

Sorry no sound clip but there was one posted in the original post about the resonators by the guy who did it first. There is a bit more deep sound at idle and it is just a bit louder than stock driving easy. If you step on it then you have a noticeable sound increase and no drone at highway speeds at all. To me it was the perfect setup as far as sound goes. I would have liked to try the hi flow cats but didnt want to drop that much $ at the time.
The following users liked this post:
Rennies5 (02-29-2016)
Old 02-29-2016, 05:48 PM
Rennies5

I will be ordering the 1790's. Your description of the sound is exactly what I am looking for. I have had the tanabe mufflers by themselves and they were too close to stock for my taste. I had a y back exhaust and it was too loud / too much drone for my taste. This sounds like the perfect combo for me. Did you go with 2 1/4" pipe from the resonators back to the mufflers as the original OP did? Thanks again.
Old 02-29-2016, 06:20 PM
Rick in NC
Loony Tunes

I also have the Tanabe's and agree they are too close to stock. With the resonators they work well. I cant say much about pipe sizes as I just had a local shop install them for me. IIRC they only charged me 30 or 40 bucks so at that price it was not worth getting my hands dirty.
Old 02-29-2016, 07:04 PM
Rennies5

For $30 - $40 I wouldn't get my hands dirty either! Thanks for all your help. It's appreciated.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:56 PM
IracknBack
Premier Member

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts
I was literally moments from pulling the trigger on the Tanabe setup on amazon and decided to check out the forum first.

I'm getting nervous now that i'll be disappointed in the sound quality. I don't want obnoxious either but I want it evident that it's not stock. I'm also pairing it with HFC (probably Stillen as I found them on Amazon for a decent price) and a Godspeed short ram intake. Will these items make it louder or were the people complaining of it's quietness already running HFCs too?

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2016, 07:30 PM
Rennies5

Originally Posted by IracknBack
I was literally moments from pulling the trigger on the Tanabe setup on amazon and decided to check out the forum first.

I'm getting nervous now that i'll be disappointed in the sound quality. I don't want obnoxious either but I want it evident that it's not stock. I'm also pairing it with HFC (probably Stillen as I found them on Amazon for a decent price) and a Godspeed short ram intake. Will these items make it louder or were the people complaining of it's quietness already running HFCs too?

Thanks.
I can't speak for HFC's paired with the Tanabe mufflers as I had stock cats when I had them. I believe most people that have paired the Tanabe mufflers with HFC's thought it was a perfect combination. There are several people, me included, that have had the Tanabe mufflers by themselves wish they were a little more aggressive / louder. I don't think you will be disappointed as long as you make sure to pair them with HFC's that don't add a lot of rasp (do your research as I can't recommend). Top Speed has a nice Y back exhaust if you are looking for something more aggressive. Hope that helps. BTW, thanks for your service & God bless.
Old 08-07-2016, 01:20 AM
SrtUltr
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by IracknBack

Thanks.
What did you end up getting? I'm in the same boat.
Old 01-06-2019, 09:47 PM
DustU
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice vq burple

Originally Posted by evil-G-nius
My biggest issue is that the Manzo or Top Speed is going to be too loud. I want a noticeable change in tone but I dont want anything too loud. And thanx for the info but it still didnt answer my question. Does the mid pipe bolt directly to the stock muffler
Kinetix HFC and a BELUGA Axle back are quieter than F1 and Manzo set ups. Minor drone no SEO