Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

Worried my Takeda CAI will get wet

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2015, 09:14 AM
squarehead

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sLADe781
squarehead your G is crackin'!! What type of tein springs do you have on? I'm thinking S?
thx! that pic was tein S springs on the rear and tanabe sustec on the fronts

Originally Posted by G37X NYC
Squarehead your G is on point
Originally Posted by Redfire32
Square head......your car....is bananas man!!!
thanks gents, its a nonstop work in progress!
Old 05-21-2015, 06:21 PM
Dillybar12

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I contacted aFe when I was having fitment issues installing my splash shield and I believe the test car was a 2009 sedan. The test G they used did not have a bracket and they just assumed that all bumpers were the same. aFe said until I contacted them, they had never heard of anyone having any problems with fitting the shield.

I have a 2008 G37S and could not fit the bumper back on with the shield installed. I had to make cuts on the shield - 1 for the bracket and 2 on the sides to allow the grill to fit:

By the time I got everything to fit, the shield was so hideous I just left it off.
I actually just contacted them, and they ended up sending me these pictures. I was wondering what you used to cut? Also, do you still have this shield? I would buy it off you possibly?
Old 05-22-2015, 08:12 AM
i heart ricers
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
I contacted aFe when I was having fitment issues installing my splash shield and I believe the test car was a 2009 sedan. The test G they used did not have a bracket and they just assumed that all bumpers were the same. aFe said until I contacted them, they had never heard of anyone having any problems with fitting the shield.

I have a 2008 G37S and could not fit the bumper back on with the shield installed. I had to make cuts on the shield - 1 for the bracket and 2 on the sides to allow the grill to fit:

By the time I got everything to fit, the shield was so hideous I just left it off.
you have to cut the bumper center piece to fit

you just defeated the whole purpose of the shield

???
The following users liked this post:
Skunk Dog (03-31-2017)
Old 05-22-2015, 10:12 AM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by i heart ricers
you have to cut the bumper center piece to fit

you just defeated the whole purpose of the shield

???
I wasn't going to cut the bumper to get the shield on. That bracket was put there to probably help support the top of the bumper or maybe for the grill? Either way I wasn't going to cut it just because aFe's design is flawed. As a matter of fact, the bracket is probably why the Stillen Gen3's shield is concaved in the middle - to allow room for the shield to go on without pushing against the bracket.

And no, I wouldn't say having that middle cut defeated the purpose of the shield. 85% of the filter is still covered. The cut would allow the bracket to fit which will also act as a "shield" in its own right since it covers the filter also.

Originally Posted by Dillybar12
I actually just contacted them, and they ended up sending me these pictures. I was wondering what you used to cut? Also, do you still have this shield? I would buy it off you possibly?
I sent you a PM.
Old 05-22-2015, 10:23 AM
nbast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The shield fit my 2009 X coupe without issue. The problems I had were all in getting the flexible elbows in place. I ended up cutting the existing holes to be much larger.

I did the install 2 years ago, and took a lot of pictures with intention of posting the full process, but I never finished writing it up...
Attached Thumbnails Worried my Takeda CAI will get wet-dsc01194.jpg  
Old 05-22-2015, 10:38 AM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Originally Posted by nbast
The shield fit my 2009 X coupe without issue. The problems I had were all in getting the flexible elbows in place. I ended up cutting the existing holes to be much larger.

I did the install 2 years ago, and took a lot of pictures with intention of posting the full process, but I never finished writing it up...
nbast, did you have a bracket on the back of your bumper?

Also, note that your black brackets that hold the pipes in place are different from the more current models. Not sure if the earlier design had issues with those who had bumper brackets in the back but aFe changed the design some time down the road...maybe for the worse!?!
Old 05-22-2015, 11:14 AM
nbast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nbast, did you have a bracket on the back of your bumper?

Also, note that your black brackets that hold the pipes in place are different from the more current models. Not sure if the earlier design had issues with those who had bumper brackets in the back but aFe changed the design some time down the road...maybe for the worse!?!
The two visible brackets are the only two brackets on the intake.

It looks like the elbows are made of a much different material as well. Mine are a squishy material, molder in one piece. It looks like your elbow have a braided core, which would probably make them stronger, but less flexible.

It's been a long time since I installed it, I think I had to bend the horn bracket to move it closer to the radiator, but I don't remember anything else being in the way.

I'm attaching a pic of the elbow squeezed through the hold before I did any cutting. I couldn't see how I could possibly get it straightened out to attach the tube to it. (sorry about the focus)
Attached Thumbnails Worried my Takeda CAI will get wet-squishedtube.jpg  

Last edited by nbast; 05-22-2015 at 11:16 AM. Reason: attachment
Old 05-22-2015, 11:29 AM
i heart ricers
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

It looks like the elbows are made of a much different material as well. Mine are a squishy material, molder in one piece. It looks like your elbow have a braided core, which would probably make them stronger, but less flexible.

It's been a long time since I installed it, I think I had to bend the horn bracket to move it closer to the radiator, but I don't remember anything else being in the way.

I'm attaching a pic of the elbow squeezed through the hold before I did any cutting. I couldn't see how I could possibly get it straightened out to attach the tube to it. (sorry about the focus)
looks like you forgot to remove something

read the install instructions again
Old 05-22-2015, 11:46 AM
squarehead

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by i heart ricers
looks like you forgot to remove something

read the install instructions again
my takeda/afe instructions didnt include the removal part, it was quite an irritating install - i ran into this exact same issue.

i ended up dremeling a nice-sized hole in the outlet to get the rubber tubing through.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:18 PM
sLADe781
Registered Member

Awe you shouldn't have had to do any cutting with the Takeda intake. There's a bracket piece that the tubes run through that needs to be removed to prevent that squish.

Here's a picture of the bumper bracket that I keep talking about:

Name:  20150215_202311.jpg
Views: 1500
Size:  105.5 KB

Last edited by sLADe781; 05-22-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:46 PM
HoldmyMouse

Received 131 Likes on 111 Posts
Look so dangerous. Just couldn't help but to wonder if they will be held responsible if engine gets locked.
Old 06-20-2023, 10:29 PM
jonjon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wet filter

Originally Posted by squarehead

been thru plenty, from light mists to torrential thunderstorms at hwy speeds, w/no issue.

that's just my .02, they make a water shield for a reason, but i think the risk is low and rises w/drenching or submersion
I just wanted to confirm that u should be ok right? Because I’m having the same concern my grill is against the filter so it seems water will be easy to touch the intake and it’s storm season where I’m at and wanted to make sure I’ll be okay to go
Old 06-23-2023, 02:52 PM
rotarymike
Moderator in Moderation

Received 451 Likes on 379 Posts
Takeda has the single filter, correct? Not sure if they make ones for double-ended filters, but FilterWears (and others) make hydrophobic water socks for air filters - see my build thread (which admittedly is two separate cone filters).