Intake and Exhaust The ultimate forum to ask, discuss, and answer tech related questions regarding MyG37 intake and exhaust.

z1 headers vs. Stillen headers vs. Fast Intentions Long tube headers...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 11:11 AM
PongSanity

Received 129 Likes on 114 Posts
z1 headers vs. Stillen headers vs. Fast Intentions Long tube headers...

was just browsing through the site... you know... utilizing the search button... and i noticed that their aren't much threads about headers (unless you're going forced induction of course...). Just wanted to see if anyone out there did this mod and any insight to give pertaining to pros, cons, gains etc.. which pair of headers is best and what not...

P.S. i know the VQ37HR engines come with decent headers already ...
Old 04-07-2014, 11:22 AM
Diego@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 271 Likes on 232 Posts
PPE also makes some for our cars.

http://www.ppeengineering-onlinestor...ers-837001.htm
The following users liked this post:
PongSanity (04-07-2014)
Old 04-07-2014, 11:23 AM
GoFightNguyen
Because Racecar

Received 749 Likes on 356 Posts
Z1 headers are only compatible with Z1 pipes, which is annoying. You can probably get a muffler shop to cut and reweld the correct flange/angle, but you shouldn't have to.

Pros-depending on tube length vs collector angle, you can either be going for torque, or peak hp. Long collector is for torque. Cons would be expensive materials cost, and an even more expensive install cost. There is no easy way to swap this out.

I think the reason FI guys swap headers is easily explained. FI guys often build their motors, and while it's out of the car, why NOT swap headers anyways? Gains are okay, but probably not worth the $$$.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:41 AM
PongSanity

Originally Posted by Diego@Vossen
PPE also makes some for our cars.

]
nice!

Originally Posted by GoFightNguyen
Z1 headers are only compatible with Z1 pipes, which is annoying. You can probably get a muffler shop to cut and reweld the correct flange/angle, but you shouldn't have to.

From what I've read is that they basically using the same headers from the VQ35DE engines and using it for all platforms. A different gasket would be needed to use...

I think the reason FI guys swap headers is easily explained. FI guys often build their motors, and while it's out of the car, why NOT swap headers anyways? Gains are okay, but probably not worth the $$$.
Turbochargers use exhaust gas to turn over so they HAVE to swap out the stock headers for the turbo headers... superchargers on the other hand are belt driven so no need to swap out the headers...
Old 04-07-2014, 11:51 AM
PongSanity

I should add some links huh..

z1 headers:

Z1 Motorsports VQ Performance Headers

Stillen headers:

STILLEN 350Z / G35 / G37 / 370Z Headers | STILLEN

Fast intentions headers:

Fast Intentions
Old 04-08-2014, 03:31 PM
Rod->Z1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
The Z1 headers utilize only VQ35DE/Revup Test pipes and HFC's and from there it is compatible with the rest of the exhaust, OEM or aftermarket. You cannot bolt up VQ37 cats, test pipes or HFC's.

There are 2 main things to consider with making power from headers.

1: The pipes from each cylinder on each side of the block needs to be the same length from the block to the collector.

2: The collector needs to connect all 3 pipes from one side of the block from 3 pipes into one pipe. This transition needs to be smooth and beautiful, equal and well designed.

These 2 rules is what makes power, other wise you waste time and money. Below you will see 2 pictures. In these pictures you can see the differences of a well design header and a poor piece of work. Both from 2 of the companies above.

Last edited by Rod->Z1; 04-08-2014 at 03:40 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PongSanity (04-08-2014)
Old 04-08-2014, 04:05 PM
ChillySoft
Registered Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Just installed Z1 Headers and Cats on G37

Posted up really good numbers, much to what Z1 claims using their complete 400+ HP kit, except I used their Hi Flow Cats.

324.66HP 258.68Torque - Went to UpRev Yesterday for the tune. They had not seen numbers this high on full bolt car. Everyone was impressed.

With regards to EOM Headers being good, well that just depends on what level of "good" you see it. Personally I think they suck.

1. Stock is much heavier than aftermarket
2. Collector pipes are small - where Z1 stuff is half inch bigger - so your exhaust and hi flow cats are the same diameter from exhaust manifold to the tips.

Last edited by ChillySoft; 04-08-2014 at 04:10 PM.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:19 PM
Rod->Z1

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by ChillySoft
Posted up really good numbers, much to what Z1 claims using their complete 400+ HP kit, except I used their Hi Flow Cats.

324.66HP 258.68Torque - Went to UpRev Yesterday for the tune. They had not seen numbers this high on full bolt car. Everyone was impressed.

With regards to EOM Headers being good, well that just depends on what level of "good" you see it. Personally I think they suck.

1. Stock is much heavier than aftermarket
2. Collector pipes are small - where Z1 stuff is half inch bigger - so your exhaust and hi flow cats are the same diameter from exhaust manifold to the tips.

Nice numbers.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:46 PM
PongSanity

@chillySoft which exhaust do u have to have? Those are some great numbers man...
Old 04-08-2014, 09:01 PM
ChillySoft
Registered Member

I have stillen but any that is not stock will work.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:03 PM
ChillySoft
Registered Member

Only reason you have to run their cats or test pipes is the header to cat connection is different than stock g37. Cat to exhaust is standard issue so any exhaust works.
Old 04-08-2014, 09:04 PM
Kuro
Registered Member

Received 183 Likes on 162 Posts
Originally Posted by PongSanity
@chillySoft which exhaust do u have to have? Those are some great numbers man...
His build thread https://www.myg37.com/forums/build-t...dan-build.html
Old 04-09-2014, 01:51 AM
PongSanity

@chillySoft nice Sedan man... In the video I heard zero rasps so that's a big plus. So basically your entire exhaust system from headers straight back are 2.5ins...
Old 04-09-2014, 09:58 AM
ChillySoft
Registered Member

Originally Posted by PongSanity
@chillySoft nice Sedan man... In the video I heard zero rasps so that's a big plus. So basically your entire exhaust system from headers straight back are 2.5ins...

Yes, so from the collector on the header all the way back to the tips are the same size. When I did a side by side comparison on Kinetix Racing Cats with the Z1, the inlet and the outlet hole on the Z1 CATS are larger, not to mention the Kinetix racing cats have rasp even though they claim little to no rasp, which is BS. You are correct and your ears do not deceive you, there is zero rasp with the Z1 CATS. If I ever hear anything, it is for one nano second when I try to put my foot on the exhaust header lol. But I rarely hear it and it doesn't sound silly.

On sedans there are only a couple of MFG that make header that work on Sedans, which you will not run into with the coupe I do not believe. Top Speed and Z1 were my choices and after looking at the workmanship of the Z1 I went with those. Stillen headers will hit the steering column under hard cornering and have heard there can be fitment issues on sedans, but not verified.

Are headers the most bang for the buck? No, but it is the culmination of all the upgrades that will get you a nice number on the dyno and being lucky and getting a "good G" from the factory. Realistically you are looking to spend $850 on headers plus $375 on CATS and $700 to have installed.
Old 04-09-2014, 11:21 AM
PongSanity

@chillysoft very informative.... if i ever do headers i'll go the z1 route with their cats.... but it'll be DIY... more appreciation when done yourself

Quick Reply: z1 headers vs. Stillen headers vs. Fast Intentions Long tube headers...